Fire and Pain
|Fire and Pain|
|Section||Charr Homelands Quests|
|Campaign||Eye of the North|
|Given by|| Gwen |
in Hall of Monuments
|Preceded by||The Missing Vanguard|
|Type|| Secondary quest|
(Click to enlarge)
- Required hero: Gwen
- An item related to Gwen's childhood in your inventory
- Gwen must be present to continue.
- Travel to Sacnoth Valley to investigate the reports of the new Charr force amassing.
- Defeat the Charr Flame Keepers.
- Locate the Charr Shaman's ceremony site.
- Destroy the Charr forces to prevent the ritual from being completed. You have [3…0] groups remaining.
- See Captain Langmar for your reward.
- 15,000 Experience
- Rose Focus
To obtain the quest, first get a Preserved Red Iris Flower or one of the other suitable items. Then visit Gwen in your Hall of Monuments. Afterwards head out to Longeye's Ledge or Doomlore Shrine and do not forget to wear your Ebon Vanguard rank.
When coming from Grothmar Wardowns into Sacnoth Valley, if Vael has revealed himself to you, he may appear near the resurrection shrine, and help you. Follow towards the marker and you will run into two Charr that are talking to each other, and continue walking. Follow them, and after hearing the needed information, they will become aggressive and you must kill them. A new marker appears in the burning forest.
Entering the burning forest from west or the south is the shortest way. Wipe out patrolling groups first. Be careful not to aggro too much, and pay attention as the nearby boss Borrguus Blisterbark will be running around with a group. Try to spread out your party as many of the enemies have AoE fire skills that can easily wipe out your party. After wiping out surrounding enemies, proceed closer the quest marker.
There are three groups of Charr you have to defeat, and they start off non-aggro and clustered fairly close to one another until you reach the quest marker. Two of them are fairly easy, but the third group starts out as a lone boss named Straut Flamebourne, who, when attacked, will cause a Charr Effigy to spawn.
It is advised to bring skills and spells that interrupt or slow down spell casting; otherwise, both Strout Flamebourne and his Charr Effigy will cast Breath of Fire frequently, enough to quickly wipe your group. Both Straut Flamebourne and his Effigy have to be killed.
After killing these two, Gwen will talk and mention to inform Captain Langmar of the events. Map back to Longeye's Edge, proceed outside towards Grothmar Wardowns, and see Captain Langmar for your reward.
- 20 Flame Keeper
- 28 Charr Effigy
- [Difficulty: Master] "This is a memento of the past, a ghost of what I once was. You never cease to amaze me, <Character Name>. No matter how hard the Charr try to destroy what we have, there will always be something that survives.
- According to the Ebon Vanguard's scouts, forces within the Charr Shaman caste have begun to move in Sacnoth Valley, trying to regroup. The rumors speak of magic once thought lost and great wrath wrought upon us. I don't want to believe that they could use the horrific power they wielded in the Searing once more…but if there's even the least bit of truth to this, we must stop them. I will not see another know the pain of my loss."
Approaching the Flame Keepers
- Flame Keeper: "Do you believe what the Shamans say is true?"
- Flame Keeper: "I know that Pyre has cast a shadow upon them. They claim that the herald of our victory will ignite the sky with a fire as fierce as our souls. It won't be long now."
- Gwen: "If what those beasts said was true… we must hurry!"
Reaching the site
- Straut Flamebourne: "For those that doubt the power we hold, burn this image into your heart as our fires raze those that would stand against us."
- Straut Flamebourne: "There are only two types of creatures in this world: the Charr, and their prey. Let us show those humans where they stand!"
- Gwen: "The only thing you will show us is the fear in your eyes as I strike you down. I will not allow such destruction to be brought upon my home, my people… not again!"
- Straut Flamebourne: "Foolish little mice… such a pity that you must die before knowing the despair of seeing your people destroyed."
- Gwen: "Despair? Let me teach you about despair…"
Defeating all enemies
- Gwen: "If those Shaman were attempting to make a show of their power, then all that they have proven is how powerless they are."
- Gwen: "How I long for the day when I no longer stand in the shadow of these beasts."
- Gwen: "I also fight for that day. Every step in this world is one that takes us closer to that future. I hope we can see it together, friend."
- Gwen: "We should report this to Captain Langmar. She will want to know that the threat has passed."
- Captain Langmar
- "The Charr were attempting to recreate the ritual of the Searing? Had anyone else told me, I would not have believed such a thing possible. It is well that they did not succeed, and we can hope that their vile magic died with them. If it is true that the Charr needed the Titan that once dwelt in Sacnoth Valley for their ritual, the Ebon Vanguard will see that Charr never set foot here again. You have done a great deed for us all, <Character Name>."
- Several items can trigger the quest dialogue; whichever is used will be removed upon accepting the quest. (If you wish to keep any particular item, do not accept the quest and return later with a different one.) The possible items are:
- Gwen will self-resurrect if needed to complete the end-quest dialogue.
- This quest is more difficult to complete with The Smell of Titan in the Morning active; Ignus the Eternal and other groups will spawn along the quest route.