The Friends List is a user interface panel that allows you to track the in-game location and status of mutual friends and to see your recent teammates and trade partners. You can also use it to ignore certain players. You can toggle its appearance through the in-game menu or using a keyboard shortcut (default key: [N]).
The Player Status menu at the the top of the panel determines what your friends see:
- Online: The default option; no special change to your appearance in other players' lists.
- Offline: You do not appear in other people's lists; you can whisper them, but they cannot whisper you.
- Away: You appear as away. You can whisper other people; if they whisper you, they also receive a message stating that you are away and might not respond right away.
- Do Not Disturb: You appear as Do not disturb. You can whisper other people; they can try to whisper you, but you will not see the message. Players sometimes use this during a mission or quest; they want friends to know that they are online, but do not want to be distracted.
Players whom you have added to your friends list are displayed here when they're online and in gold font. To add someone to your friends list, type that character's name in the "Click here to add a friend" box and press enter. Your friends list can hold up to 50 names.
If someone on your friends list has also added you to their list, their current location will be displayed in [brackets] next to their name. If their name, alternate character name and location doesn't fit then you can enlarge window by dragging the bottom right corner of the friends list window.
Players that you have added to your friends list, but who are either offline or appearing offline, are displayed here in grey font.
The ignore list allows you to identify players from whom you do not wish to hear. Adding a person to your ignore list blocks all messages from that person, and prevents his/her text from appearing in your chat windows. It does not affect their messages in the alliance chat tab. No status will be displayed for these accounts, and no other character names will be displayed. The ignore list can hold a maximum of 10 names and uses white font.
You appear to ignored players as if you are offline.
The Recent Teammates list displays players that played with in your party since you logged on; this list resets on logging out, white font as well.
Recent Trade Partners
The Recent Trade Partners list displays players with which you have traded via the trade window since you logged on; this list resets on logging out, white font as well.
- Logging into the Friends List is distinct from logging into the game: you can be logged into Guild Wars, but not your friends list.
- When you first sign into the game, you are automatically connected to both. However, if you recover from a disconnect, you will likely still be disconnected from the friends list; you must manually login to it to reconnect (open the Friends List panel and press the relevant button).
- When you are in the game but logged out of the list, your account will be treated as offline; you will be able to whisper other players, but they will not be able to whisper you. (This can be a particular problem if you are attempting to trade.)
- Clicking on the district tab in an outpost automatically reconnects you to the server without having to fill in your account data.
- When your status is offline, the Guild Menu still records the time of your last login. However, your name will remain greyed out.
- Whenever a friend changes their location, the list is updated; as a result, any text typed in the panel is cleared.
- The April 28, 2011 update added your friends current location as part of the status of mutual friends.
|Camera • Character selection screen • Dye Preview • Friends List • Guild Menu • Hair, and Indeed, Everything Stylist • Help • Hero flag • Hero panel • Inventory • Log Out • Login screen • Mission Map • Movement controls • Observer mode • Options • Party Search panel • Pet Control panel • PvP Equipment • Quest Log • Reconnect after disconnect • Report • Score Chart • Skill icon • Skills and Attributes Panel • Trade Window • Unclaimed Items • Vault box • Weapon set • World Map|