Can I change the email address that I used to register my account?
- Log into the game and, on the Character Selection Screen, choose the "Edit Account" option in the lower left. You can change your user name only if your account is not linked to an NCsoft Master Account. The user name must be a valid email address. You are strongly encouraged to use a unique email address for your user name rather than one that is used for daily correspondence, to aid in keeping your game account secure. As a safety measure, change your password regularly and use long and complex passwords.
For special circumstances (such as as an inactive or inaccessible email account), contact support (see also: contacting support).
What can I do if I forgot my account name/email address?
- Your account name is usually your email address. If you created the account from a PlayNC or NCSoft Master Account (usually only if you have multiple Guild Wars accounts) it will be
username@ncsoft, where username is a name you chose that you can look up in your plaync master account. If you are still stuck, contact support and see if they can help.
What can I do if I forgot my password?
- Start the Guild Wars game client. There is a link below the password field that says "Reset password". You will be prompted for confirmation. After inputting that information, a new randomized password will be sent to your email account; however, this will only work if your game account is not linked to an NCsoft Master Account. If your game account is linked to an NCMA, you will not be able to reset your password, although you can change it by logging in and using the Edit Account option in the lower left of the Character Selection Screen. If you cannot recall your password in order to log into the game, or if you have other difficulties, contact support.
How do I change my password?
- Start the Guild Wars game client and login to your account. There is an "Edit Account" button on the lower left corner. Clicking on it will open up another menu from which you can change your password.
What can I do if I forgot my security question answer (character's name)?
- Your security question answer is the name of any one of your characters.
- If you have not created a character then you can leave it blank.
- If you cannot remember the name of one of your characters, you can look through any in-game screenshots you've taken to see if your character name is there
- If you have contacted support on another matter, check your email; the character name might be mentioned in an earlier response.
- Otherwise, contact support. They will ask you to prove ownership.
Why does the game not recognize my access key after I reinstalled?
- You do not need your access key when reinstalling. The access key is used to activate your account, after which you can log in to your account from any computer. Once an access key is used, it can no longer be used again (although it can be used to verify account ownership with support in the event of an account ownership dispute).
Can I add an access key to an existing account?
- Yes, you can add multiple access keys to one single account. This is the only way to link multiple campaigns to one account.
How do I add an access key to my existing account?
- Start the Guild Wars game client. There is a link below the password field where you can choose to add an access key. After clicking on that, make sure you choose the option to add the key to your existing account. (Otherwise, you may create a second account, and accounts cannot be merged later.) Keys can also be added to existing accounts through the Edit Account button on the Character Select screen.
How do I find out what access keys my account has?
- Start the Guild Wars game client and login to your account. There is an "Edit Account" button on the lower left corner. Clicking on it will open up another menu from which you can view the names of all components of the game(s) associated with your account. The actual access keys are not revealed, for security purposes.
Can I use the same access key for multiple accounts?
- No. Each access key can only be used for a single account.
Does an access keys have any use after it has been attached to an account?
- Yes. When dealing with account-related issues, support will sometimes request an access key to prove account ownership.
Can I merge two accounts?
- Accounts cannot be merged. If you have created a separate account for a different campaign (mistakenly or otherwise), you cannot link or merge it with another account at a later date; however, if you had mistakenly created a new account (instead of adding the access key to an already existing one), you should contact support as they may be able to help you by deleting the new account and attaching the key to your old account.
Will my account expire?
- No, it will not.
Can I change my characters' names?
- With the Fourth Anniversary content update, name changes are now available, for a fee. See the official GuildWars.com site for details.
Can I transfer my characters to another account?
- No, characters cannot be transferred from one account to another. Characters created in one account are permanently tied to that account (until you delete them).
Can I buy, sell or trade accounts?
- No, the Rules of Conduct state that "You may not advertise the intent to or commit the act of buying, selling, trading, sharing, or transferring access to any Guild Wars account for real-world cash or for in-game gold or items". Using an account for which you are not the original owner puts you at risk of losing all future investments you make in that account, including campaigns, character slots, and more, as well as all titles and other accomplishments that you attain.
What can I do to make my account more secure?
- Please read Gaile Grey's page on Account security.
My account was banned for botting/misconduct. How can I appeal?
- Contact support. Before you do, please read Gaile Gray's post about bot bans, so that you are familiar with ArenaNet's point of view on banning and bots.
Don't see your answer?
- Click here to ask a question.