- Identification Kits for 100 come with 25 uses (4/use).
- Superior Identification Kits for 500 come with 100 uses (5/use).
Kits aren't stackable, and can't be refilled. Once the kit has no uses left, it is automatically destroyed.
To use an Identification Kit, double-click on its inventory icon, then click on the inventory icon of the item to be identified. Even items that don't say "Unidentified" can be identified with good results, and don't worry about wasting a use; the game gives a message preventing redundant identifications.
Effects of identifying
Once identified, the item description changes. If the item had an "Unidentified" quality, it disappears. If the item has any other properties, they are revealed:
- Upgrade components: any upgrades that weapons and salvage items can hold. These components also become salvageable.
- Inherent modifiers: some Prophecies and Factions weapons have unalterable bonuses instead of inscriptions.
- Item value for merchants and traders.
Effect on value
Some items have fixed value (the amount a merchant will pay for it), but weapons, salvage items, and upgrade components usually increase in value when identified. It's a good idea to identify anything you plan to sell; the gross extra income usually ends up paying for the cost of the kit.
- Identifying white (common) items is recommended when the unidentified value is 25 or more.
- Salvaging identified upgrades is recommended when the item's value is below 10, because these upgrades, when salvaged, can almost always be sold for more than 10. Note that some modifiers (such as Show Me the Money) increase an item's value and shouldn't be salvaged.
- Since there's a minimum 50% chance of retaining an item, it is recommended to salvage upgrades, runes, and insignias when the merchant or rune trader offers more than half of the item's value for its upgrade(s).
Identifying items that hold upgrade components will unlock those upgrades for use in PvP. A notification appears whenever a character identifies an item with an upgrade the account doesn't have unlocked.