Permanent pre-Searing character
From Guild Wars Wiki
Revision as of 06:06, 14 August 2012 by Silver Edge
Reasons for staying
Typically, people stay in pre-searing longer than necessary for several reasons:
- Because they prefer the smaller community.
- To obtain the Legendary Defender of Ascalon title.
- For nostalgia reasons (e.g. to enjoy the special flair and beauty of Ascalon or for a change of scenery and intensity from the rest of the game).
- To recruit new players to guilds
- Helping friends and guild mates
- To farm:
Perma pre-searing character have to deal with the restrictions and limitations of the tutorial area, most importantly:
- There is no storage; you cannot transfer items from Post-Searing characters.
- There are no armor crafters. You can only upgrade armor slightly using local collectors.
- There is no access to PvP in pre-Searing. (Your first opportunity via the Ascalon Academy requires that you have already committed your character to leaving the area.)
- Your skill bar is extremely limited:
- There are very few skills available per profession.
- Once chosen, the secondary profession is fixed until the character can Ascend.
- The local skill trainer does not teach any skills other than those obtained via the local skill quests.
- Your character will be unable to obtain 30 Attribute Points, since the relevant attribute quests are only available outside of pre-Searing.
- Perma-pre characters often accumulate large collections of dye.
- They also tend to accumulate significant wealth, as there are no significant gold sinks in pre-Searing and very limited items to trade.
- Due to the above facts, Vials of Black Dye are commonly used as a form of secondary currency.
- The only way to store items in pre-Searing is to create another character and either use that character to export some inventory to post-Searing or as alternative storage.
- Many players frequently send these mules out on a regular basis, deleting and recreating their storage character as needed.
- In order to transfer items, you will need the help of a friend, guild member, or your own secondary account.
- Charr Salvage Kits (that drop only from the four Charr bosses) are the only tool available for salvaging weapon or armor upgrades.
- Charr Bags were introduced as part of the February 14th, 2007 game update. Small equipment packs were added in the April 23, 2009 game update.
- Before the March 3rd, 2011 update, perma-pre characters did not have a way of adding titles to their Hall of Monuments Reward Calculator. The update added Kimmes The Historian to fix this.