Salvage mechanics
 Salvaging componentsExpert, Superior, and Perfect Salvage Kits, a salvage component selection window appears, displaying all possible salvage components that can be salvaged from the item. The percentage chance of destroying the salvage item is shown for each salvage component. Select the desired salvage component and confirm it (or cancel it to stop the salvage process).
The salvage process always successfully produces the salvage component; only the salvaged item has a chance of getting destroyed. An item can be salvaged more than once if it still has salvageable components remaining.
Salvaging for crafting materials always destroys the salvage item, since it translates to completely dismantling the item. You can't choose to salvage rare crafting materials; rather, when salvaging using Expert or Superior Salvage Kits, there is a small chance of obtaining rare crafting materials instead of common crafting materials. Items with the highly salvageable modifier or one with the "Measure for Measure" inscription yield a greater than normal amount of crafting materials.
 What can be salvaged
Only certain items can be salvaged:
- Crafting materials can be salvaged from any weapon, armor, trophy, or salvage item using Salvage Kits, Expert Salvage Kit or Superior Salvage Kits; this always destroys the source item.
- Using an Expert or Superior Salvage Kit, you can salvage upgrade components from weapons and runes and insignias from armor and armor salvage items; this has a 50% base chance of destroying the item.
- Common crafting materials can also be salvaged from rare crafting materials that can be crafted by an artisan, e.g. Bolt of Linen will always salvage into Plant Fibers.
However, some of these items cannot be salvaged by any tool, including:
- Starter equipment and armor
- Quest items
- Unique items
- Common crafting materials
- Rare crafting materials that cannot be crafted by an artisan
- Runes and upgrade components
 Salvage kits
There are four types of salvage kits purchasable from merchants or crafted by certain NPCs: the standard, expert, superior, and perfect kit. The cheapest, standard, can only salvage common crafting materials. Expert and superior kits differ only in number of uses; both can salvage anything, and both have a chance of destroying the salvaged item when used. Perfect kits are guaranteed to extract an upgrade without destroying the item, but cannot salvage crafting materials, neither common nor rare.
Item may be
Salvage Kit Expert Salvage Kit Superior Salvage Kit Perfect Salvage Kit
 Retention rates
The chance of retaining the salvage item applies only to attempts to salvage runes and upgrade components.
Perfect kits never destroy an item, but expert kits and superior kits only have a base 50% chance of retaining the salvaged item. This can be improved by 3% per rank each in the Treasure Hunter and Wisdom title tracks:
Title ranks Treasure
Wisdom 0 50% 53% 56% 59% 62% 65% 68% 71% Wisdom 1 53% 56% 59% 62% 65% 68% 71% 74% Wisdom 2 56% 59% 62% 65% 68% 71% 74% 77% Wisdom 3 59% 62% 65% 68% 71% 74% 77% 80% Wisdom 4 62% 65% 68% 71% 74% 77% 80% 83% Wisdom 5 65% 68% 71% 74% 77% 80% 83% 86% Wisdom 6 68% 71% 74% 77% 80% 83% 86% 89% Wisdom 7 71% 74% 77% 80% 83% 86% 89% 92%
 Salvaging costs
Expert kits are the cheapest way (16) to salvage runes and upgrade components, although some prefer the convenience of 100-use superior salvage kits. Expert and Superior kits are also available from collectors in exchange for reward trophies from Nightfall or Factions.
Type Uses Cost Cost per use Salvage Kit 25 100 4 Expert Salvage Kit 25 3 reward trophies or 400 0.12 r.t. or 16 Superior Salvage Kit 100 5 reward trophies or 2 0.05 r.t. or 20 Perfect Salvage Kit 5 1 25 25 250 5 5 50
- Hero armor cannot be destroyed, allowing you to safely remove runes and insignias using expert salvage kits. However, you cannot break it down for crafting materials.
- PvP equipment (including kit for PvP heroes) cannot be salvaged in any way.
- Most free items cannot be salvaged, e.g. starter weapons and starter armor.
- You cannot salvage an item while waiting to enter a mission.