When you learn new skills, gain new weapon components, or find new runes you will receive a message that tells you that you have unlocked that skill/component/rune. Not only does this mean that your character can make use of that which you have unlocked, it also opens the unlock across your entire account making it usable on any PvP character that you create from that point forward. Should you decide to compete in PvP, you can also earn faction that allows you to unlock further skills, components, and runes for you account.
In the game, the term unlock means to make available for all PvP-only characters and heroes on a game account to use. Skills, upgrade components, runes, and heroes can be unlocked. This gives PvP-only characters a greater flexibility, as they have access to anything any character on the account has unlocked.
- Learning skills through skill quests, skill trainers, hero skill trainers or using a Signet of Capture.
- Identifying items with upgrade components or runes.
- Obtaining a hero.
With a few exceptions, unlocking does not benefit roleplaying (PvE) characters who must learn their skills, and obtain all items and heroes individually, regardless of what has been unlocked. PvE-only skills cannot be unlocked.
Benefits of skill unlocks for roleplaying characters
While unlocks chiefly benefit PvP-only characters, there are some benefits of unlocking skills for roleplaying characters:
- Unlocked non-elite skills are available from all skill trainers of the appropriate campaign (except Halbrik in pre-Searing), allowing you to buy the non-elite skill earlier than if relying on each skill trainer's default set.
- Roleplaying characters can learn any unlocked non-elite or elite skill by using a skill tome.
- Unlocked skills are available for heroes, so having a skill unlocked will allow the character to use it on their heroes in PvE.
| Acolyte Jin, Acolyte Sousuke, Anton, Dunkoro, General Morgahn, Gwen, Hayda, Jora, Kahmu,
Koss, Livia, Melonni, Norgu, Olias, Ogden Stonehealer, Pyre Fierceshot, Vekk, Xandra, Zenmai
|Goren, Margrid the Sly, Master of Whispers, Tahlkora, Razah, Zhed Shadowhoof||6,000|
Heroes were previously used in the PvP game-mode called Hero Battles (which was removed in the October 22nd, 2009 update), but heroes currently have no use in PvP. Unlocking a hero also unlocks their default skills.
|Common rune1||1,000 faction|
|Minor rune of <attribute>||1,000 faction|
|Major rune of <attribute>||1,500 faction|
|Superior rune of <attribute>||2,000 faction|
|Weapon upgrade1||1,000 faction|
1 Most runes and many weapon upgrades have degrees of quality that use the same entry in the list. Because of that, the superior quality cannot be unlocked without unlocking the lower quality upgrades first. Once unlocked, all degrees of quality are available in the PvP Equipment panel for runes, but only the highest quality of weapon upgrades will be available.
|Non-elite skill||1,000 faction|
|Elite skill||3,000 faction|