Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball 2010
|This page is about a particular player-run or community-hosted event.|
 The Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball, 2010
 History of the Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball
The Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball is a long forgotten formal event, engraved into history years before the searing. The Kingdom of Ascalon was once prosperous, led by King Adelbern and the Royal Family. During such times the ball was the yearly celebration to celebrate the wealth and beauty that was Ascalon. But alas, The Searing, as it has come to be known, shattered the hearts of men. The ball had been forgotten for many years. Lord Sojar, in his travels, stumbled upon an old text depicting a dance festival of epic proportions in the realm of Ascalon since past. Intrigued, he did further research. After painstaking tasks, Lord Sojar begged the wealthiest of the lords of Ascalon and surrounding kingdom of Kryta to donate what they saw fit to bring back this beautiful festival.
With the return of the Masquerade Ball, a curious wind blew about the place on that night three years ago, many didn’t realize an envoy had arrived. The second year after the ball, people looked for the wandering Lord Sojar, little did they know he had fallen ill and retired to his estate. This time the winds blew stronger as citizens of Ascalon despaired that the ball would not commence. The cold wind blew, and from it came a beacon of optimism; a silk hat lazily floating to the ballroom floor. The citizens of Ascalon delighted in revelry as the envoy of ice and snow, Daniel Frozenwind, King of the Snowmen, took up the mantle of Lord Sojar to continue the great tradition. Late into the night the festivities continued, breaking the despair and replacing it with a sense of wonder and merriment. The next year an even more spectacular event ensued as the frozen envoy continued and expanded the tradition. Some even say the gods themselves attended the event, as the nights sky took on a particularly festive atmosphere.
Though after the last visit of the Mad King to Lions Arch on the most hallowed of eves, it was learned that a new menace stirred in the underworld. The King of the Snowmen returned to take charge of his forces to confront this menace and help those who stood before the darkness. But with his leave, the tradition of the Masquerade Ball looks to have met its end, again.
But it endures.
The theme of this year's Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball is Hope.
Through years past, the world of Tyria has seen many challenges. From the Searing and rise of the Lich as well as the later devastation of the Titans' rampage, to our Canthan brothers who steadfastly stood against the rise of Shiro the Betrayer, or the call of an ancient, dark god in the form of Abaddon, and even newer nemeses such as the Great Destroyer and the god Dhuum, there is but one constant.
Heroes still stand against the darkness. Ascalon regrows. The Lich fell, the Titans' terrifying rampage was broken, Shiro was defeated, and Abaddon was replaced by the Goddess of Truth, Kormir. The Great Destroyer fell to an alliance of new friends, and Dhuum's ascendancy was routed. Through all this there was one weapon which shone above all. Against all foes and all changes, past, present, or future, at the darkest of times when we stand alone and at the greatest of times when we stand together, there is but one word we all may wield with equal skill: Hope.
 Post Event:
The 2010 Ascalon Ball was a stunning success. Spanning 4 nearly full districts at its peak, the event brought many players from around the game together under a unified banner of "Hope". In total, over 2 million gold in prizes were given out to a multitude of players, be it in on air giveaways, costume contests, quiz questions, or the Guru scavenger hunt. The community has made the Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball a resounding success these last 4 years. We hope to see everyone in Guild Wars 2 for the 2011 Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball!
 Time and Place
May 22, 2010
1:00pm PST | 4:00pm US EST | 9:00pm UK | 6:00am AUS EST |: Opening Ceremony
Location: Serenity Temple, International Districts
 Schedule of Events
1:00pm PST | 4:00pm US EST | 9:00pm UK | 6:00am AUS EST |: Opening Ceremony
1:15pm PST | 4:15pm US EST | 9:15pm UK | 6:15am AUS EST |: Drinks and Hors d'ouvres served, general merriment to commence
1:30pm PST | 4:30pm US EST | 9:30pm UK | 6:30am AUS EST |: Couples Dance
3:00pm PST | 6:00pm US EST | 11:00pm UK | 8:00am AUS EST |: Costume Contest
4:00pm PST | 7:00pm US EST | 12:00am UK | 9:00am AUS EST |: The 2010 GuildWarsGuru Scavenger Hunt
5:00pm PST | 9:00pm US EST | 1:00am UK | 11:00am AUS EST |: Closing Ceremonies
 Transcript of Speeches
Note: Special thanks to King's Quest of GW2Guru for the transcriptions
Opening Speech given by Countess Reapera in Districts 1, 3, & 4, and given in Reapera's stead by M A L I B U Barbie for district 2:
- Welcome, all of you, to the Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball 2010! It is my honor to be a host for this years ARFMB. For me, this event was the first I ever attended all those years ago. It was what originally gave me a love of hosting events, because of the community spirit and the wonderful people! And as far as I know, this was also the first event anyone held in GW which makes this the oldest, and grandest event. This years theme is Hope. A celebration of hope, for now and the future. the last three themes, Change, Humility, & Endurance reflected the community during those times. This years theme is appropriate because I, personally, feel that the community is more hopeful that is has been during the last several years since Eye of the North was released.
- The War in Kryta updates give us hope for the future of GW1, with a captivating and enticing delivery. The deluge of information about GW2 gives us hope for the future as well, after so many years of silence. The future looks hopeful, the future looks bright, and this is a celebration dedicated to that! Thank you all for listening to my ramblings, without further ado, I yield the floor to my partner in hosting this district [Lord Sojar].
Lord Sojar's opening speech in District 1:
- Hi guys. For those of you who don’t know me, I created the Ball in 2007. I created this event to bring the community together in a way that was never seen before. Without ArenaNet having official interaction, the event was really the first of its kind. It has survived for 4 years. It has survived not because of myself, nor Daniel Frozewind, nor Countess Reapara. It has survived because of people like you.
- The community in this game has endured a lot, and the theme this year is fittng, since we do hope for the future to bring good. Now, after so many years, here we all stand, together one last time. But… this last time isn’t the last. I will need your help and support, as I always have. In 2011, there will be no GW1 Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball. In 2010, we herald in a new age, the Guild Wars 2 Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball.
- Lord Sojar: I don’t know what GW2 will bring, but… I know that the more community will be there. I know we can make this event a legacy, and continue to improve it. It is my goal to have this event become officially supported by ANET, a first of its kind. You, the community, will make that possible. So, when it comes time, please continue to be there. Without further delay, LET THE FESTIVITIES BEGIN! Enjoy the 2010 Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball!
Malchior Devenholm's opening speech in District 3
- Welcome one and all to the Ascalon Royal Family Masquerade Ball!
- The theme of this year’s ball is “Hope.” Through years past, the world of Tyria has seen many challenges. From the Searing and the rise of the Lich, to the return of Shiro Tagachi, and the arrival of a dark god! Through all of this, Tyria, as well as all of you, has stood steadfast and strong! We come here to maintain the Hope that has stood with Tyria throughout all of this time!The main host of this event, Countess Reapera, shall be coming soon to address everyone! But until then, let’s be sure we can give her a proper welcome.
 Description of Events
- Radio Trivia
- Tune in to the GWEvents radio station for trivia and prizes throughout the event!
- Couples Dance
- What would a Ball be without some dancing – but there’s a catch! No /dancing allowed! Develop your own unique emote dance style together with your partner to come up with the best looking and best synching ‘dance’ around! With prizes totaling over 200k for the best three couples, this is sure to be a great contest! We’d suggest turning your emote chat off though.
- Costume Contest
- Dress with your best, most thematic look for the ball! Display your fashion finesse to everyone around – the theme of the event is the ball, hope, and general good taste. We have two categories for the event; young ladies competing with their escorts for the best couples look and unescorted young ladies vying for the prize of their own accord. Prizes for this event total over 300k to be split amongst the top three couples and the top three young ladies to enter on their own, six winners in total! Take your fair share of the prize with your best entry!
- Scavenger Hunt
- Solve the riddles, find the items, and return them before time runs out! This year, our scavenger hunt is brought to you by Guildwarsguru and Guildwars2guru. The 2010 GuildWarsGuru Scavenger Hunt promises the best prizes yet, seeing as this is the last Ball Guild Wars will see prior to the launch of Guild Wars 2. Don't miss this!
- District 1: Countess Reapera & Lord Sojar
- District 2: M A L I B U Barbie & the GWEvents Crew
- District 3: Malchior Devenholm & Elizabeth Genevieve
- District 4: Katherine The Blood & Dutch Sunshine
- Official Photographers:
- Sparky Sharkinu
- Agenda Sovereign
Da Mystic Reaper: Many miscellaneous golds
Katherine The Blood: Scrolls and Alcohol
Pure Saphire: 250 Wintersday Gifts, 250 ToT Bags, 223 Tonics
Monk All Over You: 50k, 2 consets, 50 tonics
Vajesp Ltd: 5k, Mini Ooze
X Klaudia X: 5k, golds
Beastmaster Jet: 10k, 5 War supplies, 1 Armor of Salvation, 2 Passage Scrolls to FoW, 4 Obsidian Keys, 5 Lockpicks
Phnton Swordsman: 25k, 1 Armor of Salvation, 1 Chalice, a lot of party items & Alcohol, a few miscellaneous golds
Lord of Judo: 100k, an assortment of minis, golds & purples. His donation is what allowed Lord Sethiroth to host some lore trivia in district 3.