This is the area in the Mesa you access during the mission Augury Rock. To get here, talk to Great Ritual Priest Zahmut. Here you can find your Doppelganger and the key to ascend. This is a solo-mission. To access the Mesa, you have to light the three runes representing the ascension trials by walking onto them after stepping on the circle (which enchants you with Divine Fire). You can only do this if you have completed Dunes of Despair, Thirsty River, and Elona Reach.
- 1 Mission information
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 NPCs
- 4 Dialogue
- 5 Notes
- Defeat your Doppelganger.
- *BONUS* Defeat the Doppelganger in under 10 minutes. (In Normal mode.)
- *BONUS* Defeat the Doppelganger in under 2 minutes. (In Hard mode.)
|Mission|| 1,000 XP
50,000 1 XP
- 1 Only for first time character ascension.
Your only objective is to defeat the Doppelganger; you meet the bonus objective by killing it within 10 minutes (2 minutes on Hard mode).
To reach your opponent's location, speak to Great Ritual Priest Zahmut, who will take you to the area with the ghosts you met during the previous three missions. Walk past them and step on each of the three stones marked with ascension runes (the order does not matter). After a brief cinematic (showing the rock break open), you will be face to face with the doppel.
Understanding the Doppelganger
- The Doppelganger is level 20 (Normal mode) or level 30 (Hard mode); it equips the same skills as you, and has rank 12 in each attribute of your primary and secondary professions, excluding the primary attribute of your secondary profession.
- It uses maximum damage weapons without any upgrade components: a spear at distance, an axe in melee range. Its axe deals lightning damage. It can use any melee attack skill with its axe and any ranged attack skill with its spear.
- It generally casts protections and creates spirits before attacking.
- It generally heals itself and interrupts more effectively than you can.
- Both you and the Doppelganger are under the effects of the Divine Fire enchantment for the duration of the mission.
The Doppelganger will outperform you in numbers, but you have some advantages which will help you defeat it:
- Most importantly, you can use skills more intelligently than the AI.
- You can pre-cast enchantments before being taken to the arena.
- You can increase attribute ranks beyond 12 using runes and the +1 attribute rank from headgear.
- It does not bring a pet or a shield (and cannot take advantage of related skills).
- It does not use title-based skills (e.g. Asuran skills).
- It uses "maintainable" skills even if they have no benefit (e.g. Air Attunement despite lacking other Air Magic spells, or point blank area of effect skills even if you fight at distance), wasting energy and time during which you can simply attack.
- It rarely dodges.
- It tends to prioritize the skill bar from left to right, so you can benefit by arranging sequences or chains oddly.
- It does not execute sensible skill combos.
- It does not spam skills.
- It will foolishly use skills that remove useful enchantments or stances.
- You can leave skill slots empty.
- Make sure you adjust your build to this mission, general purpose builds and techniques will not work.
- Do not bring simple healing skills. These only delay the fight as the Doppelganger will also use those skills to heal itself.
- Ensure you have max armor. If you do not have it yet, you can obtain it quickly through collectors in the Crystal Desert.
- If fighting at distance, bring equipment or skills that protect against physical or piercing damage. For melee, bring protection against elemental or lightning damage.
- Non-casters can rely on bringing spammable attack skills as the Doppelganger will use these less frequently than you.
- Use a ranged weapon and bring ranged attack skills for it, but move to melee range. The Doppelganger will switch to axe and be unable to use the ranged attack skills.
- Many builds take advantage of your opponent's inability to use PvE-only skills. See also: PvX. Some examples:
- Use skills that punish the Doppelganger for attacking you, then do not attack the Doppelganger and let it kill itself. You can improve your advantage by adding skills that blind it or protect you against attacks, such as blocking or armor increase. Also consider bringing skills to increase attack speed. With this tactic, it is generally better to stay at distance as the spear deals less damage than the axe. See the below sections for example skills to use this tactic.
Bear in mind that you can also employ most of these tactics if that profession is only your secondary profession. You may also want to combine tactics from your primary and secondary professions to speed up the process.
- One-skill tactic: Bring Frenzy, but do not use it. Instead, just attack the Doppelganger and let it use Frenzy.
- Bring Wild Blow and a number of adrenal skills. Use only adrenal skills while letting the Doppelganger lose its adrenaline from Wild Blow.
- Very effective for Hard mode: Use skills to punish the Doppelganger for attacking and skills to protect yourself. Equip a sword and stay in melee range (as the damage-dealing skills listed below only trigger on melee attacks), but do not attack the Doppelganger while protecting yourself as best as possible.
- A very simple combo is Flurry and Whirlwind Attack. Use a shield with an axe or sword and it will go down in 15-20 seconds at a comfortable health difference.
- One-skill tactic: Bring a pet. Very effective for Hard mode in combination with below suggestions.
- You can use your pet for healing via Predatory Bond.
- Bring blocking skills and use Otyugh's Cry to render the Doppelganger open to your pet's attacks.
- Rampage as One increases the advantage you already have through your pet.
- Bring Feral Lunge with Lacerate and/or Poisonous Bite with Toxicity. Let the Doppelganger create the nature ritual(s). With no way to inflict conditions on you, only the Doppelganger will suffer from heavy health degeneration.
- In Normal mode, bring Troll Unguent and Savage Shot; the Doppelganger will only use Savage Shot to interrupt spells, while you can easily prevent it from healing.
- Use a preparation before the cinematic.
- If you plan to use bow attack skills while staying in melee range, avoid Apply Poison, since it can affect any weapon.
- Bring several traps and plant them along the side walkways. Avoid and lure the Doppelganger into them, and it will eventually die.
- Bring a large number of nature rituals. The Doppelganger will waste time activating the rituals which will help or harm both sides equally. Very effective for Hard mode.
- Bring Melandru's Arrows and Penetrating Attack to quickly kill the Doppelganger while it is casting nature rituals. Since you both have an enchantment on you (Divine Fire), your attacks will inflict constant bleeding and deal +damage. Every two attacks you can use Penetrating Attack.
- One-skill tactic: In Normal mode, the Doppelganger will only use Healing Breeze to counter health degeneration, not health loss. Bring this as the only skill and wand it to death.
- A 55 Monk build works well in Normal mode.
- Bring four useless maintained enchantments (such as Blessed Aura, Divine Boon, Holy Veil, and Life Attunement) and four damaging skills from Smiting Prayers. Use only the Smiting Prayers skills, while the Doppelganger wastes its energy on maintained enchantments it cannot benefit from.
- The AI does not consider Ray of Judgment as an area of effect skill and will not run. Evade the incoming rays and you should eventually be the one left standing. Combine with Arcane Echo for a faster fight.
- Use Dismiss Condition and ensure you inflict no conditions. The AI will not use this just for healing, but you can as you are enchanted with Divine Fire.
- Very effective for Hard mode: Use skills to punish the Doppelganger for attacking while healing with Dismiss Condition.
- Very effective for Hard mode: The Doppelganger will sacrifice itself to death. Bring Enfeebling Blood if you will not be attacking the Doppelganger directly. This can be further increased by Awaken the Blood or Scourge Sacrifice.
- Very effective for Hard mode: Use skills to punish the Doppelganger for attacking and skills to protect yourself from attacks.
- One-skill tactic which is also very effective for Hard mode: Bring Empathy. Do not attack, dodge its attacks, maintain the hex, and wait for it to kill itself.
- Hard mode - Bring Backfire, Shatter Enchantment and many long-casting enchantments that won't benefit it (Attunements work well for this). Place Shatter Enchantment in slot 7, and Backfire in slot 8. When the battle starts, the Doppelganger will prioritize spells from left to right, allowing you to cast Backfire while it is still casting enchantments on itself. After casting Shatter Enchantment, the Doppelganger may try to cast Backfire on you, so it is often best to wait until the Doppelganger is starting to run low on health before casting Shatter Enchantment.
- Hard mode - Combine Backfire with Wastrel's Worry and Cry of Pain. Use Cry of Pain to interrupt Backfire. Spam Wastrel's Worry to trigger Backfire on the Doppelganger.
- Bring many worthless, slow casting skills, like Attunements, Conjure spells, a Glyph and maybe enchantments from your secondary profession. Place a simple damaging spell (like Flare) in skill slot 8. Cast the enchantments you need before the cinematic. Then kill the Doppelganger while it's busy setting up enchantments and glyphs.
- For Hard mode, using the above described with Meteor Shower as a second damage spell works well to keep the Doppelganger from damaging you while you kill it.
- For Hard mode, use two damage spells in slots 7 and 8, one to inflict Cracked Armor and one with high damage (e.g. Shell Shock, plus Lightning Hammer or Lightning Touch).
- Bring a fiery or icy weapon and Conjure Flame or Frost, respectively. Glyph of Elemental Power is an added bonus. Cast the Glyph and then the Conjure spell before the cinematic. The Doppelganger's axe deals lightning damage, so it doesn't benefit from these skills. You should win by simply attacking.
- Bring only Blinding Flash and bring a wand or staff. Maintain Blind on the Doppelganger. The AI will not Blind you unless you use a martial weapon.
- Use your secondary class to damage the Doppelganger when it attacks (e.g. Empathy for Mesmers). Protect yourself by using Blinding Flash. You can add Armor of Earth, Armor of Frost or Ward Against Melee/Ward Against Elements to make it even safer.
- Hard mode - Use Elemental Lord to heal yourself and increase your attribute skills. Remember to precast this before the cinematic.
- This also works very well in Hard mode: You can rely on finishing a strong dagger combo faster than the Doppelganger. With a Warrior secondary, bringing Frenzy for the AI to use (not using it yourself) can make a large difference. Otherwise, bring nature rituals (Ranger), attunements (Elementalist) or other "maintainables" from your secondary profession to occupy the Doppelganger while you begin your combo.
- Bring any lead and off-hand attack with Death Blossom and Moebius Strike. Repeat the latter two until dead.
- Bring Unsuspecting Strike, Wild Strike, Repeating Strike, Twisting Fangs. Before the cinematic, use Critical Agility then go in. Activate the first two skills and then hit it with Repeating Strike twice, then use Twisting Fangs and you should kill it within seconds.
- Bring Unsuspecting Strike, Wild Strike, Horns of the Ox, Falling Spider, Critical Strike and Desperate Strike. Activate the skills in order. If you have 30+ energy, you can replace Critical Strike with Twisting Fangs. Using Critical Eye in advance also helps with energy.
- Critical Eye, Way of Perfection, Golden Lotus Strike, Fox Fangs, Death Blossom, Flourish. Once Flourish has been used start again at Way of Perfection.
- Bring combos that require a knocked down foe (e.g. Falling Spider) and then ensure that you can knock the Doppelganger down but not vice versa, e.g. through "You Move Like a Dwarf!" or using Shock and being fast enough to interrupt the opponent's Shock. Combine with Horns of the Ox for added lock-down. Moebius Strike works well for continued combos.
- Bring Dissonance, Shadowsong, Painful Bond, Brutal Weapon, Earthbind, Shelter and Union. After the cinematic cast Dissonance, Shadowsong, Painful Bond and Brutal Weapon, then start attacking the Doppelganger. Dissonance should prevent the Doppelganger from summoning spirits, and Earthbind, Shelter and Union should waste the Doppelganger's time.
- Hard mode - Bring any Signet of Spirits build. At the start of the fight, run as far back as you can and cast all your spirits. The Doppelganger will cast its spirits in the middle of the map, so you will be outside of their range. It will then run towards you. Cast Painful Bond and the spirits will kill it.
- Bring only chants except Ballad of Restoration, Chorus of Restoration, Defensive Anthem and Song of Restoration. Do not use any skills, just attack the Doppelganger while it wastes time activating chants it cannot benefit from.
- Bring only spear attacks (such as Disrupting Throw, Cruel Spear, Harrier's Toss, and Slayer's Spear) and chants (such as Anthem of Flame). Move within melee range of the Doppelganger. It will change to a melee weapon for which it has no skills equipped. Attack the Doppelganger with the spear attacks.
- Bring Soldier's Fury, "There's Nothing to Fear!", and Spear of Lightning, the Doppelganger should die in less than 30 seconds.
- If you have a form up before activating the final glyph, it will be removed before entering the hall with the Doppelganger.
- Bring no skills and just attack. Your scythe will deal more damage than its axe most of the time.
- Hard mode - Your best bet is relying on a tactic from your secondary profession. See also Cross-profession tactics. Some protective Dervish skills can assist with other methods, e.g. Mirage Cloak can help the Empathy strategy.
- 20 (30) Doppelganger
- "Reach out and take hold of your destiny."
- "Your ascendance is now complete."
- Consumables, such as Candy Apples, can be used during the fight; however, summoning stones cannot.
- The mission area includes these landmarks: The Divine Fire shrine holding the assembled Vision Crystal, the three ascension runes, and the Mesa.
- After completing this mission, your character will be taken to The Dragon's Lair.
- If you and the Doppelganger both die at the same time, you will get credit for the mission (and you will be resurrected in time for the cinematic). However, if you disconnect during the mission, you will not get credit (and will find yourself in either the Dragon's Lair or Augury Rock outposts).