Cantha Courier Crisis
|Cantha Courier Crisis|
|Section||Kaineng City Quests|
|Storyline||Beyond: Winds of Change|
|Given by|| Lei Jeng |
in Kaineng Center
|Preceded by||Cleansing Bukdek Byway|
|Followed by||Cantha Courier Crisis (Hard mode)|
|Type|| Secondary quest|
(Click to enlarge)
Assist Courier Falken in his quest to obliterate every thug and gang member within Bukdek Byway.
 Quest information
- Meet up with the Krytan courier in Kaineng Docks.
- Talk to Courier Falken to get a new move.
- Defeat all enemies on the way back to Kaineng Center. Don't get knocked out.
- See Lei Jeng for your reward.
In Kaineng Docks, you need to equip a pair of Brass Knuckles or Thunderfist's Brass Knuckles in order to begin. If you have not completed any of the other brawling quests, Falken will give you a pair. Talk to him again so that he transports you to the quest area.
After you arrive in Bukdek Byway, talk to the courier again to start the quest. As is implied from the dialogue, Falken has no idea where to go and will lead you on one of the longest possible routes to Kaineng Center. Most foes will either pop-up or start off as friendly (green dots), which forces you to wait for the required dialogues to trigger before moving between groups.
If you do not like brawling, an easy way to complete the quest in normal mode is to follow him and let him kill all the foes. If he dies, he will self-resurrect, allowing you to avoid fighting altogether. However, this takes much longer (about 2-3x longer, i.e. around 50 minutes or more) and you will not receive any drops or experience from the foes unless they are within your aggro bubble.
The quickest (and most profitable) method is to take the lead and stay slightly ahead of him, attacking red dots as they appear and getting close to green dots before they turn red. Several of your opponents use ranged attacks: either take them out first or move out of their line-of-sight (e.g. around a corner) while you tackle their melee-range allies. As with any brawling quest, if you get knocked out, click on the icon for STAND UP! and press the keypad shortcut (default: 8) simultaneously — this practically guarantees that you will recover in time.
The toughest fight is in the central square, where you might face several groups at once, especially if you have trouble defeating the first few before the next mobs pop up. Worse, unlike the rest of the zone, there are few obstacles to block ranged attacks. You can just keep standing up and trying again, but if that proves unreliable, start to move backtrack your original path. This takes you away from the spawn points and brings you closer to natural barriers. Falken will continue to self-rez and will eventually whittle down your opponent to a manageable number.
The final fight is just outside of town. The pre-fight dialogue is long enough that you will lose any built-up adrenaline. Falken will target Li Ho Yan; you can either gang-up on him or focus on Tai Soon; either way, you can probably just mash keys to successfully defeat the pair.
 Skills & equipment
|Brawling Block||Brawling Jab||Brawling Straight Right||Brawling Hook||Brawling Uppercut||Falken's Fire Fist||STAND UP!|
Additionally, you'll receive the effect:
- Falken Quick: You move 50% faster.
In the Hard mode version of this quest you will be given the skill:
- 7. Brawling Combo Punch: You attack twice, dealing 50 damage each time.
Pay particular attention to the choice of equipment.
Humans (Am Fah)
Humans (Jade Brotherhood)
Humans (Am Fah)
Humans (Jade Brotherhood)
- 26 (30) Tai Soon
- (30) Fo Mahn (only in Hard mode)
- (30) Dim Sii (only in Hard mode)
- (30) Rho Ki (only in Hard mode)
 Initial dialogue
- Lei Jeng
- "I've gotten word that Queen Salma of Kryta has sent a messenger with an important letter for Emperor Kisu. Unfortunately, we're a bit undermanned right now. Do you think you could head down to the Kaineng docks and escort him over here?"
 Intermediate dialogue
- Talking to Courier Falken
- Courier Falken
- "You're here to escort me? perfect! I was thinking a partner would be helpful. I've heard this town is crawling with all sorts of gangs and unspeakable horrors, so having someone to watch my back would be a great boon. Once you've got your brass knuckles equiped, let me know and we'll get going."
- When not wearing your knuckles and talking to Courier Falken again
- Courier Falken
- "You'd better equip some brass knuckles before we start. You'll hurt your fists otherwise."
- Talking to Courier Falken after greeting him, whilst wearing knuckles
- Courier Falken
- "Are you ready to show me your moves?"
- After being teleported to Bukdek Byway
- Courier Falken: "Oh right, before we start I should teach you this move. Come over here and talk to me."
- After having learned Falken's Fire Fist
- Courier Falken: "It might be tricky for a beginner like you, but the key is remembering to shout YOUR name not mine.
- Courier Falken: "Alright, let's get this letter delivered Falken quick!"
- After having advanced slightly
- <Party leader>: "Okay, if we just head due north, we can reach Kaineng Center without too much..."
- Courier Falken: "Not to worry! I consulted a map before I got here; I know where to go. After all, how hard could this city be to navigate anyway?"
- Just before reaching the first bridge
- Courier Falken: "This city is very...tall. But I heard it was more dangerous than this."
- <Party leader>: "Well, the Jade Brotherhood and Am Fah are pretty notorious around these parts for stirring up trouble"
- Courier Falken: "Roaming gangs, eh?"
- After the bridge and during some fights with Am Fah
- Courier Falken: "Look! A band of ruffians aching for a fight. Let's give them some broken teeth to remember us by!"
- Am Fah Hooligan: "What have we here? A little lost foreigner on our turf? Let's give him an Am Fah welcome beating!"
- <Party leader>: "What kind of courier punches out the people who stop him from delivering mail?"
- Courier Falken: "The best kind of course!"
- After reaching the first Jade Brotherhood members
- Jade Brotherhood Fighter: "This is Jade Brotherhood territory, Krytan! Maybe if you give us all your coin, we'll let you go."
- Courier Falken: "If you hooligans are looking for small shiny objects, how about I show you my brass knuckles?"
- After advancing
- <Party leader>: "Uh, I don't think we are going the right way."
- Courier Falken: "Nonsense! I have a perfectly good sense of direction. It's that way, I'm sure. Follow me!"
- <Party leader>: "Is this letter really so important that we have to punch out every armed gang member in Kaineng?"
- Courier Falken: "There's no such thing as an unimportant letter. Every letter is as important as the feelings behind it!"
- <Player Name>: "Okay, but the punching?"
- Courier Falken: "Are there situations where punching isn't necessary?"
- After the fight at the Peasant Shopkeeper
- Peasant Shopkeeper: "Ah! My shop! What have you done? You foreigners are nothing but trouble!"
- Courier Falken: "Such animosity in this town! There seems to be a lot of trouble here in Cantha."
- <Party leader>: "I'm pretty sure most of this is your fault."
- After advancing even more
- Courier Falken: "We're almost there! I can feel the letter telling me this is the right way!"
- <Party leader>: "You didn't really read the map, did you?"
- At Li Ho Yan and Tai Soon
- Li Ho Yan: "There he is! They're the ones that have been attacking our men! Your life was forfeit the moment you tangled with the Am Fah!"
- Tai Soon: "The Jade Brotherhood have a score to settle with them as well! We'll kill you dirty Am Fah later; this foreign fool dies first."
- Courier Falken: "At last, the leaders arrive. I hope you're ready for this fight."
- <Party leader>: "You say this as if you were expecting it."
- Courier Falken: "My deliveries are always like this. Isn't that pretty normal?"
- Li Ho Yan: "Stop ignoring us, Krytan! We'll string you up across the byway for this offense!"
- After defeating them
- Courier Falken: "YES! Another succesful delivery! It was great fighting alongside you, friend. You have the true heart of a courier! I'm going to head to the palace now. Why don't you go tell the guy that sent you that I made it here safely?"
 Reward dialogue
- Lei Jeng
- "This is a disaster! I can't believe a courier would punch out half the gangs in Kaineng on his way to deliver a simple message! I've already got complaints coming in from people about the disturbance it caused, and I'm sure neither the Am Fah nor the Jade Brotherhood are going to take this lying down. Sometimes I wonder if maintaining foreign relations is worth the trouble.
- I suppose it's not your fault though. Here's something for your trouble."
- Although Falken is affected by standard attacks, you are only subject to damage from skills.
- This is a valuable place to farm experience or cash:
- Since the quest is not repeatable, it must be abandoned and retaken. Alternatively, map to the Marketplace before the quest updates.
- Assuming you identify and sell all drops, you can expect to earn 1–3 per run.
- If your inventory fills up, there is a Merchant (Peasant Shopkeeper) about 2/3 of the way through (near the last big fight). You can return before rezoning to sell a few items then go back and pick up anything left behind.
- With practice, you can gain ~135,000 experience points per hour using experience scrolls.
- You can use this as a less-risky method of gaining experience towards the Survivor title, since you have 10 seconds after being knocked out to STAND UP!. (Your death counter will not increase unless the timer runs out before you do so.)
- If Falken does more damage to an enemy when it dies, you will gain the experience but your experience scroll effects will not be renewed.
- The drops are significantly better in hard mode, although some players find it easier to kill foes quickly in normal mode.
- It can be difficult to maintain the experience-multiplier for experience scrolls that require killing a foe every 30 seconds, since there are three places where there are built-in delays. However, it is possible to use a single 5-minute scroll no matter how long it takes you to complete the mission.
- You can maintain both adrenaline and your experience bonus if you drag out the last fight before the end-bosses: Rush the last three foes and Falken will move forward (after pausing briefly), triggering the final dialogue. You need to keep the fight going for about 45 seconds before the bosses become hostile. However, it's easier to just use an extra scroll for the final battle: the cost is relatively low compared to your drops and the lost adrenaline is not a deciding factor in the final fight.
- Unlike your character, Falken does not gain health after a foe dies. To keep him alive, you should lead the way.
- As with other solo quests, you may not use summoning stones. However, you can use sweets that increase speed or reduce skill activation times (e.g. Red Rock Candy or Birthday Cupcakes).
- If you die shortly before finishing the quest and Falken manages to kill Li Ho Yan and Tai Soon by himself, the quest will still update and count as completed.
- The bosses in this quest are named after famous boxers: Sugar Ray Leonard/Sugar Ray Robinson, Oscar de la Hoya, George Foreman, Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano/Rocky Balboa, and Mike Tyson. Fo Mahn's pet in hard mode, Guriru, is a reference to the George Foreman Grill.
- The skill Falken Punch refers to Nintendo's Captain Falcon and his move Falcon Punch, commonly seen in the Super Smash Bros. series. In addition, Falken says, "Are you ready to show me your moves?", which paraphrases Falcon's taunt of "Show me your moves!"
- The reward dialogue foreshadows the eventual cut-off of contact between Cantha and the rest of Tyria after Emperor Usoku turns Cantha isolationist.