A chest run is where players run straight to chests while ignoring most, if not all, enemies. The point of the run is usually to gain points in the Treasure Hunter title track but can also include progressing the Wisdom, Lucky and Unlucky title tracks and obtaining rare loot.
Chests do not spawn close to the entry point of area and often need to walk about a compass radius or more before the names of nearby chests will become visible by pressing "Alt".
Depending on the difficulty, speed of run, loot from the area, and cost of the keys, different players chest run in different explorable areas. Almost any area is able to be run though.
The most popular locations for chest running include:
- Elite areas, such as The Fissure of Woe and The Underworld, for rare-skinned weapons.
- Dungeons such as Cathedral of Flames (Walkthrough), Fronis Irontoe's Lair, Secret Lair of the Snowmen, and Slavers' Exile.
- Areas such as Ice Cliff Chasms and Witman's Folly, where multiple chests can be run in quick succession.
- Nightfall and Eye of the North areas, such as the Mirror of Lyss, for inscribable weapons.
- Xaquang Skyway in hard mode for Celestial weapons (found in chests near Vermin).