Crossing the Desolation
|Crossing the Desolation|
|Given by|| Zerai the Learner or Lonai |
in The Kodash Bazaar or Sunspear Sanctuary
|Preceded by||Jennur's Horde or Nundu Bay|
|Followed by||Gate of Desolation|
(Click to enlarge)
 Quest information
Zhed Shadowhoof must be in your party.
- Talk to Kormir in the Command Post to find a way across the Desolation.
- Travel with Zhed to speak with Mirza about crossing the Desolation.
- Meet Mirza on the outskirts of the Desolation.
- Return to Kormir.
- Meet with Kormir at the monument to Palawa Joko's defeat.
- Examine the monument to Palawa Joko's defeat.
- Have Zhed help track Palawa Joko. Take Zhed to speak with Dirah Traptail.
- See Laph Longmane for your reward.
- 2,500 Experience
- 250 Gold (if you acquired this quest from Zerai the Learner)
- 200 Gold (if you acquired this quest from Lonai)
- 10 Lightbringer Points
After accepting the quest from Zerai or Lonai, travel to the Sunspear Sanctuary and exit to the Command Post. Speak with Kormir and head out to Turai's Procession through the nearby portal. Follow the quest marker to Mirza Veldrunner. (Most of the enemies can be avoided or a group of hero/henchmen should be able to handle anything you come across.)
The next quest marker is misleading: it is northwest from your location, but the only way to reach it is to head northeast (see this article's map). Meet up with Mirza in The Sulfurous Wastes, then head back to the Command Post to speak with Kormir again, who will instruct you to meet her in Jahai Bluffs. After she leaves, inspect the monument; this releases Palawa Joko himself. He departs quickly after his dialogue; as Zhed points out, there is no point in following him.
Map travel to the Gate of Desolation, exit into Turai's Procession to find Palawa Joko trapped by Dirah Traptail and his band of centaurs. Speak with Dirah to start the cinematic and speak with Laph Longmane to complete the quest.
Since this quest does not require you to kill any foes, you can complete this by running.
 The Sulfurous Wastes
- 20 (20) Mirza Veldrunner
 Jahai Bluffs
 Turai's Procession
 Initial dialogue
Zerai the Learner or Lonai
- "You have stayed the darkness for now. But the real threat, Varesh, journeys across the Desolation seeking the Mouth of Torment where the Five Gods struck down Abaddon. No doubt Varesh left her demonic forces behind in preparation for an attack. Should you get across the Desolation and break through her rear vanguard, you should catch her relatively undefended. However, no mortal soul can survive the sulfur clouds that have stripped the Desolation of all life. You must find a way across the Desolation. Other than Palawa Joko, our libraries have no record of any living creature surviving such a journey. The sands hold nothing but great wurms and bleached bones. Kormir recently sent word she needs to speak with you. Perhaps she has information. Will you go speak with her?"
 Intermediate dialogue
- "You got my message. Good. We need to find a way northwest, through the Desolation, but I fear my time on this world is nearing an end. My nightmares have grown stronger; stronger even than Melonni's. They tear at my soul. I know not how much longer I can hold together. You see, my eyes were...back in Gandara...I...nevermind. I need you to take Zhed and speak with Mirza. See if there is any way to cross the deadly sulfur. I will see what other information Nerashi and the others can dig up."
- "The Desolation? It is death to step within its sulfur haze, for man and runner alike. Nothing living can pass through. Our people know better. But there was an ancient, undead king; perhaps you have heard of him...Palawa Joko. He enslaved our people to serve the undead ranks in his dark Bone Palace. It is rumored he even tamed the great wurms beneath the Sulfurous Wastes to do his bidding. Meet me in the Desolation and I'll show you."
- "Do not step within its bounds. Look. Do you see? These are the very wurms Palawa Joko was said to have controlled. Perhaps they hold the answer you seek. Only Palawa Joko knows. But beware the deceit of the undead king. He would bargain with men's souls; promising three wishes and granting none, or granting them in ways that only served his wishes. Find Palawa Joko, if you must find a way across the Desolation. But beware deals made with such a two-legged devil."
- "Palawa Joko, the scourge of Vabbi was defeated in the battle of Jahai by Turai Ossa. But that was not the end of his story. It seems he could not be killed. After the battle, it is said members of Turai Ossa's elite guard formed the Order of Whispers. These great hunters broke Joko's body and used powerful magic to bind him within a great tomb. They eventually built a monument commemorating the victory over the site. My dreams have told me we must travel to this tomb and see what awaits us."
 Intermediate dialogue 2
- Kormir: "I fear my time on this world is nearing an end. The closer we get to the Realm of Torment, the more I feel my mind bound to its power."
- Shahai the Cunning: "Should I help you back to the Sunspear Sanctuary?"
- Kormir: "No, Shahai. You have done enough. My nightmares have led me to this place many times."
- Kormir: "AHHHHHHHHHH! I can feel Abaddon in my soul; in my mind...."
- Kormir: "I will not let his darkness consume me here!"
- Shahai the Cunning: "Noooo! Kormir! What dark magic is this? I must return to the Sanctuary at once and report this. Look around and see why she led us here."
After "examining" the Monument to the Defeat of Palawa Joko:
- Palawa Joko: "Ah! Free at last.... Greetings mortal. I am Palawa Joko, the Scourge [sic] of Vabbi."
- Palawa Joko: "I was betrayed at the battle of Jahai and sealed away by the cowardly Order of Whispers."
- Palawa Joko: "I once commanded thousands upon thousands of undead warriors. Primeval kings were bound to my will. The great wurms of the desert were at my disposal."
- Palawa Joko: "Such was the kingdom of Palawa Joko"
- Palawa Joko: "The weakening of reality freed me. Now I must see to rebuilding my empire. For this chance to rule once again, I thank you...and bid you farewell."
- Zhed Shadowhoof: "Let him run. With his stench he won't get far before my pride tracks him down."
- Zhed Shadowhoof: "Dirah Traptail will likely be in charge of the hunt. Let's go meet up with him."
- Dirah Traptail
- "We have the undying two-legs trapped. He was trying to return home to regain his throne. But it seems being buried and bound for so long has cost him all his power. What should we do with him?"
- Let us speak with him.
- "Alright. Watch out for Zhed, though. He can get a little arrogant at times, especially when dealing with two-legged folk. Let me know when you are ready to speak with the dead one."
- We are ready. (sent to Crossing the Desolation (cinematic))
- We are not ready yet.
 Reward dialogue
If you acquired this quest from Zerai the Learner:
- "Thanks for helping fight Varesh, the demons, and the undead. But did you need to wake up that smelly, undying two-legs? Regardless, Mirza told me to give you this in thanks."
If you acquired this quest from Lonai:
- "Thanks for helping fight Varesh, the demons, and the undead. But did you need to wake up that smelly, undying two-legged abomination? Regardless, Mirza told me to give you this in thanks."
- You can acquire this quest from Zerai the Learner if you have completed Jennur's Horde or from Lonai if you have completed Nundu Bay.
- Combine this with Centaur Concerns, which is on the way from Sunspear Sanctuary.
- You can combine this quest with Mirza's Last Stand, if you have previously completed Centaur Concerns.
- This quest presents an opportunity to capture elite skills from Sergeant Behnwa and Chiossen, Soothing Breeze on the way through Turai's Procession.