Drakes on the Plain
|Drakes on the Plain|
|Given by|| Mahzu |
in Rilohn Refuge (outpost)
(Click to enlarge)
- Required Hero: Koss
- Koss must be present to continue.
- Take Koss to meet Wekehsa on The Floodplain of Mahnkelon.
- Escort Wekehsa to his meeting place.
- Defeat Lord Yama the Vengeful and his guards.
- See Wekehsa for your reward.
- Dmg: 10-10
Travel into The Floodplain of Mahnkelon and find Wekehsa who is waiting just outside Rilohn Refuge. Follow Wekehsa to his meeting with the banana scythe buyer, Lord Yama the Vengeful. Once there, defeat Lord Yama and claim the scythe for yourself!
It is a relatively short journey along the north side of the floodplain, and along the way, the party will encounter several groups of drakes of various types: Irontooth Drakes, Sand Drakes, and Obsidian Furnace Drakes.
- 20 (20) Wekehsa
- 10 (24), 18 (25) Irontooth Drake
- 20 (26) Steelfang Drake
- 5 (23) River Drake
- 18 (25) Lightning Drake
- 20 (26) Grand Drake
- 21 (26) Sand Drake
- 24 (26) Obsidian Furnace Drake
- 24 (24) Lord Yama the Vengeful (initially friendly)
- 20 (20) Vabbi Guard (6 of them, initially friendly)
Ahai! Are you Sunspears? Don't be alarmed. I have no love for Varesh. But I am looking for a Sunspear myself. Do you happen to know Koss? I have a friend who's always telling stories about bailing Koss out of jams. Well, now it appears my friend, Wekehsa, has gotten himself into trouble and needs Koss's help. If you could relay a message I would appreciate it. Tell Koss that his old friend Wekehsa needs to meet him. He is somewhere in The Floodplain of Mahnkelon. Can you give Koss the message?
Koss! You have no idea how glad I am to see you and your friends. I'm in some trouble and I could really use your help.
- Koss: Something smells...like bananas. Wait a moment. What in the name of Lyssa are you carrying?
- Wekehsa: Ah, yes.... I...erm...intercepted a shipment of weapons bound for Vabbi. This shipment included a scythe made from gold and platinum shaped like...a banana.
- Wekehsa: Since it was packed in a produce create, it even smells like one. A Vabbian lord had commissioned it for a small fortune, but it's taken me forever to find a buyer.
- Wekehsa: I'm supposed to meet my buyer out here, but now I fear the lord may be planning...
- Koss: ...to reclaim his property? At any cost? Typical, Wekehsa. And now I suppose you need our help to reach your buyer safely?
- Koss: Very well, we'll help. But you're going to owe me a favor. A big favor. HUGE!
- Wekehsa: Thank you, Koss. You won't regret this. Follow me. We're not that far away.
Wekehsa and Koss on the journey
- Koss: What's gotten into those drakes? They aren't usually this aggressive.
- Wekehsa: They seem to be drawn to the scythe. I wonder why? Do they hate bananas?
- Wekehsa: All of these drakes can't be a coincidence. I've heard that Lord Yama the Vengeful is fond of employing unusual means to destroy his enemies. This must be his work.
- Koss: Lord Yama the Vengeful? Wekehsa, in the future, you might want to refrain from stealing things belonging to anyone with "the Vengeful" in their name.
- Koss: You should also add "the cruel" and "the bloody" to that list.
- Koss: These aren't Kournan drakes! These drakes aren't even from this continent!
- Koss: Enough is enough! I have had it with these Balthazar-blasted drakes on this Balthazar-blasted plain!
Lord Yama the Vengeful
- Wekehsa: Lord Yama! You're my buyer?
- Lord Yama the Vengeful: Lord Yama the Vengeful, if you please! I've worked too hard for that title to be known as just Lord Yama.
- Lord Yama the Vengeful: You didn't suspect that drakes are naturally attracted to the smell of bananas did you? If not for these Sunspears you'd be dead!
- Koss: Do you just expect us to give you the scythe?
- Lord Yama the Vengeful: No, Sunspear. I expect you to die!
That was certainly...interesting. Look, I owe you and Koss my life. If you ever need anything, you just let me know. Oh and...hey! Why don't you take the scythe as well. I'll never find a buyer for it. I mean, only a crazy person would fight with a banana. But, a pointed stick...now that's a weapon.
- Sand Drakes are from the Crystal Desert, Grand Drakes & Lightning Drakes are from Kryta, River Drakes are from Ascalon (pre-Searing), and Obsidian Furnace Drakes are from the Fissure of Woe.
- The insect boss, Zelnehlun Fastfoot, and its group of hidden insects will not spawn while this quest is active (and you have Koss in your party).
- If the player hasn't advanced enough in the Nightfall storyline, the doors in the north part of the Floodplain will remain closed, but the Corsairs will still spawn on the other side. Wekehsa may try to pursue the Corsairs and shall halt progress in the quest until they are killed. Consider bringing a hero or henchmen with skills that don't require line of sight.
- Koss will resurrect whenever he has a line of dialogue.
- The quest may be kept active for farming Chunks of Drake Flesh or Spiked Crests. To maximize your drop rate, send Koss to die and do not speak with Wekehsa.
- The name of this quest, and much of Koss's speech in this quest, is a reference to the film "Snakes on a Plane". References to the film are also found in speech by Records Keeper Palin, as part of the Norgu's Nightfall quest.
- Lord Yama's line, "I expect you to die!" line is taken from the James Bond movie, "Goldfinger". When Bond is captured, strapped onto a table, and a laser is about to cut him in two:
- James Bond asks, "Do you expect me to talk?".
- Auric Goldfinger (the villain) replies, "No Mister Bond. I expect you to die!"
- The phrase "but, a pointed stick....now that's a weapon" and the banana scythe are references to the Monty Python skit, Self-Defence Against Fresh Fruit, where students were taught how to defend themselves against a banana-wielding foe.
- Lord Yama's statement, "Lord Yama the Vengeful, if you please! I've worked too hard for that title to be known as just Lord Yama" is a reference to Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movie, who says "It's Doctor Evil! I didn't go to Evil Medical School for four years to be called Mr. Evil."
- Koss' statement, "Enough is enough! I have had it with these Balthazar-blasted drakes on this Balthazar-blasted plain!" is a reference to Samuel L. Jackson's famous line from the movie Snakes on a Plane. "Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother-(censored) snakes on this mother-(censored) plane!"
- The rejection dialogue for this quest is a reference to Homer Simpson. During conversation, if somebody mentions a particular food to Homer, he'll often respond with "Mmmm... (said food)" (usually donuts).