Ordinary foes usually drop a single item or pile of gold while bosses can drop up to four. Items dropped by foes are assigned to a single ally and gold drops are unassigned. During special events, seasonal items can also drop from any hostile or neutral NPC.
Items that drop from unlocking a chest or touching treasure are assigned to the party member that opened it. Those chests that do not require a key (e.g. Wreckage or those that spawn after completing quests in the Fissure of Woe or the Underworld), will randomly assign their drops. Presents drop items that spawn directly into a character's inventory (excluding Lunar Fortunes, which drops the item on the ground).
- Drops assigned to heroes, henchmen, and other NPCs are invisible.
- Gold is not distributed until a character picks it up, after which it is evenly divided among party members (the amount assigned to heroes and henchmen is removed from the game).
- Unclaimed drops become unassigned after ten minutes or if the assigned character leaves the area; unassigned drops can be picked up by anyone.
- When active, Favor of the Gods increases the drop rate of rare items.
- Some players believe that the drop rate is lower if an entire mob of enemies is killed at the same time, but there is little published evidence to support this (see Anti-farm code for details and other theories).