Guide to playing as an elementalist
|It has been suggested that this article should be rewritten, because: Should follow the template established in Guide to playing as a dervish.|
|Note: This article is geared towards new players. Please keep its contents to those which new players can reasonably understand and use.|
The elementalist is a core profession that commands the four elemental forces: air, earth, fire, and water. The primary role of the elementalist is to deal damage to multiple foes at once. With their elemental spells they can also spike, pressure, snare or tank. Most elementalists focus on the power of a single element while some combine their elements for a larger variety of effects.
To make sure they can cast their spells, elementalists have the highest energy pool of any profession and posses a skill type unique to them, the glyph. Glyphs can increase the power of spells, decrease their casting time, reduce their energy cost or prevent them from being interrupted. Altough the elementalist has some strong defensive skills they lack both a condition removal and a hex removal.
 Energy Storage (Primary Attribute)
Energy storage is the primary attribute of the elementalist and each rank increases the maximum energy of the elementalist by 3 points. The skills found in Energy Storage are mostly energy management skills. The self healing skills are also found in this attribute.
Fire Magic is the most offensive attribute. Many spells found in this attribute deal fire damage to multiple foes at once and inflict burning condition. It is a simple and straightforward attribute that is easy to use for beginners. For pure damage it is the attribute of choice.
Air Magic is an offensive oriented attribute. The spells inside this attribute generally deal lightning damage and have an armor penetration of 25%, most of these spells deal damage to single foe but there are some spells that can hit multiple. Air Magic also has spells that improve mobility of allies and has multiple spells that can knock down enemies. Many spells found inside this attribute can inflict blind and cracked armor. Air magic is effective against high armored enemies.
Earth Magic is a supportive attribute. Earth Magic spells can deal a great amount of earth damage to both a single target and multiple foes and has the most defensive skills. The attribute also possesses multiple spells that can inflicts weakness, snare and knock down foes and most of the ward spells are also found inside this attribute. Earth Magic is the most balanced attribute of the elementalist and it takes some practice to fully master this attribute.
Water Magic is a supportive attribute. Water Magic possesses multiple hex spells that can snare multiple foes as well as some defensive spells and spells that can both heal you and your allies. Water Magic spells deal cold damage but compared to the other elements, they deal a lower amount of damage. Water Magic spells have been designed to support your team and control the enemy instead of just killing the enemy. Because of this it is also a difficult attribute to use compared to the other elements.
 Area of Effect and Damage over Time
Since the primary role of the elementalist is to deal damage, they have a large amount of spells that can hit multiple foes inside an area and even have spells that deal damage inside an area over a period of time. It is important to properly know the range your spells have and to choose the correct target. Area of effect (AoE) spells are more likely to hit your foes when you target the foe that is in the center of a group than the foe that is at the edge of a group. It is also important to know wich foes you have to target. Fire Magic simply deals damage but Water Magic has spells that can disrupts skills or reduce the effectiveness of attacks, choosing the proper target for these spells is important so their effects don't go to waste.
Damage over time spells (DoT) deal damage to multiple foes over a period of time within a single cast. These spells generally deal a large amount of damage and have often a long recharge and high cost. In PvE, foes that are within the area of these spells will move outside of them after a short period. To prevent foes from moving outside of the range of your DoT spells a snare is adviced. Earthen Shackles and Deep Freeze are both very effective for this since the duration of the snare of these spells does not scale with their attributes. However, it can also be used as a defensive tactic to break an agro from foes or to scatter foes from a certain location.
Another aspect of area of effect the elementalist has are the doublecast spells and the ward spells. The doublecast spells are 5 elite spells that can target both an ally or a foe and affect both you or the targeted ally or the ally closest to the foe you targeted. When these spells are used on the proper targets they can become very effective, both offensively and defensively. The Ward spells activate at the location of the caster and usually have a defensive effect. Altough they are not of great importance to the play of the elementalist, for both PvE and PvP they can be very effective if used correctly.
 Overcast and Energy Management
The spells of the elementalist generally have a high cost and can deplete your energy quite fast. To make sure you can continue to cast your spells a form of energy management is needed. Most commonly used for this are Glyph of Lesser Energy and the 4 attunements, Fire Attunement, Air Attunement, Earth Attunement and Water Attunement. These 4 spells return 30% +1 of the energy cost of the spells from their attribute. The attunements are always covered by Aura of Restoration wich serves as healing and gives 1 energy whenever you cast a spell. The attunement also have an elite version Elemental Attunement that returns an even greater amount of energy, it can effectively be combined with the non-elite versions, this for of energy management is commonly referred to as Dual Attunement. Dual Attunement combined with Aura of Restoration gives a full energy return of spell with the cost of 5 energy and 10 energy of their respective elemental attribute. This is a popular combination for a strong form of energy management because these skills can be found in all campaigns.
Overcast is a negative effect that reduces your maximum energy. It is shown as a grey section on your energy bar, like deep wound is shown on your health bar. Overcast is a stackable effect and can put a great amount of pressure on your energy if you accumulate too many of it so be careful when using overcast skills. Overcast dissipates by 1 point every 3 seconds and the only way to counter overcast is the elite skill Glyph of Energy. The elementalist also possesses multiple skills that benefit from overcast. Skills that cause overcast have a grey icon before their energy cost icon. Be careful you don't stack up on overcast or deplete your energy, an elementalist without energy is useless.
List of overcast spells
- Energy Storage
- Ether Prodigy (10 points)
- Fire Magic
- Breath of Fire (10 points)
- Incendiary Bonds (5 points)
- Meteor (10 points)
- Meteor Shower (10 points)
- Mind Burn (10 points)
- Air Magic
- Chain Lightning (5 points)
- Gale (10 points)
- Invoke Lightning (5 points)
- Mind Shock (5 points in PvE, 10 points in PvP)
- Ride the Lightning (5 points)
- Shock (10 points)
- Earth Magic
- Dragon's Stomp (10 points)
- Earthquake (10 points)
- Iron Mist (3 points whenever you cast an Air Magic spell)
- Obsidian Flame (5 points)
- Water Magic
- No Attribute
- Second Wind (5 points)
List of spells that benefit from overcast
- Fire Magic
- Flare (hits foes adjacent to target foe)
- Lava Font (range increased to nearby)
- Phoenix (heals allies inside the blast radius)
- Smoldering Embers (becomes a hex and deals more damage)
- Air Magic
- Arc Lightning (deals damage to 2 other nearby foes)
- Lightning Strike (becomes a hex and deals more damage)
- Shell Shock (hits foes adjacent to target foe)
- Whirlwind (range increased to nearby)
- Earth Magic
- Magnetic Aura (enchants party members in earshot)
- Magnetic Surge (blocks the next attack for allies in earshot)
- Stone Daggers (inflicts bleeding condition)
- Water Magic
 Strategies and Tactics
Frequently the domain of Fire Magic spells. They are heavy focused on Area of Effect (AoE) and Damage Over Time (DOT) and have the ability to inflict burning.
- The Searing Flames build requires strong energy management and sacrifices bar compression (i.e. Glowing Gaze and Glyph of Lesser Energy). Mark of Rodgort is added to easily meet the requirement of Searing Flames. The remaining skills are mostly used to improve damage.
- The Savannah Heat build makes mostly use of the DoT spells of Fire Magic, being Fire Storm, Meteor Shower and Searing Heat. This type of build is less energy heavy and allows for a larger range of utility.
Although the focus lies on the elite skills Searing Flames and Savannah Heat, Fire Magic offers plenty of skills that allow you to nuke without relying on those 2 elite skills.
Frequently the domain of Air Magic spells. They deal the highest average Damage per Second (DPS) against single target(s) and have the ability to inflict cracked armor. Popular skills for this are Lightning Hammer, Invoke Lightning, Lightning Strike and Lightning Orb. Shock Arrow is used for additional energy management.
This can be done in different ways. Fire Magic can pressure foes by continuously inflicting burning condition to foes with skills such as Mind Burn or Immolate. Air Magic can pressure foes by blinding foes with Blinding Flash, Blinding Surge or Glimmering Mark or causing knock downs with Lightning Surge or Gale. Earth Magic can pressure trough knock down with the combination of Ebon Hawk, Stoning and Glowstone. Earth Magic also possesses some DoT spells that have conditional effects wich can pressure foes.
This is a PvP tactic that makes use of Earth Magic and Water Magic. Earth Magic makes use of point blank spells Grasping Earth and Ward Against Foes while Water Magic makes use of ranged spells. Water Magic has a large amount of hex spells that reduce movement of foes by 66%. The elite spells Mind Freeze and Icy Shackles can reduce movement speed up to 90% if the conditions are met and Water Trident can continuously knock down up to 3 moving foes. Ice Spikes, Deep Freeze and Mirror of Ice can be used to snare multiple foes at once. Air Magic spell Chilling Winds can be used to extend the duration of your Water Magic hexes.
This is a PvE build that uses the defensive spells of Earth Magic and requires the Mesmer as a secondary profession. It uses the elite skill Obsidian Flesh to counter spells and for damage reduction uses Stoneflesh Aura and the combination of Stone Striker and Mantra of Earth for energy management. Glyph of Swiftness is used to maintain Obsidian Flesh and Stoneflesh Aura. The remaining skills are mostly used for additional defensive abilities such as Ward of Stability or Armor of Earth.
This is a PvE support build that requires the necromancer as a secondary profession. It combined the elite skill Ether Renewal and Aura of Restoration with the necromancer enchantments Order of Pain and Dark Fury to assist martial characters with damage and adrenaline gain. It allows a fairly large range of utility of Blood Magic spells such as Strip Enchantment, Blood Ritual or Well of Blood.
- Important skills
Already mentioned in "Overcast and Energy Management" the attunements are very important for the energy management of an elementalist. Make sure you have the attunement of the element you are using on your skill bar and keep it covered with Aura of Restoration. Since the builds the elementalist uses require the investment of only 1 secondary attribute it allows you to take a large range of utility skills from your secondary profession. Since the elementalist lacks condition and hex removal you can use your secondary profession to take either a condition removal or a hex removal. You can also act as a toolbox and take skills that assists the strategy of your party.
- What to Avoid
- Considering Energy Storage a form of energy management. Elementalists need Energy Storage to effectively utilize Overcast skills; and they need energy management skills just as much as other caster professions.
- Using damage over time spells on moving targets.
- Wasting AoE spells on single targets.
- Casting spells under dangerous anti-caster Hexes, such as Backfire and Visions of Regret or while being dazed.
- Staying in the frontline or not moving out of opposing DoT spells; you will take high damage due to low armor rating, requiring healers to spend excessive energy to keep you alive.
Experiment and adjust your build but don't overhaul your build over and over. Stick to the build that works for you and you alone like best, not what other people like, but do listen to any given advice. Adjust your build when the situation demands it to make it work better while keeping to the builds that works for you. Trying out something different for change or for fun never hurts either; be creative with your builds.
For all of the elementalist skills see the list of elementalist skills.
- For further information about hero AI see: Hero behavior
 Choice of secondary professions
- Monk: Rebirth can be used to avoid party wipes in PvE. Another common use is an Ether Renewal bonder.
- Necromancer: The Sunspear skill Necrosis can be used in combination with Searing Flames or other skills which inflict burning for a low energy, spammable direct damage skill.
- Mesmer: Arcane Echo and Echo are often used to cast multiple copies of powerful spells such as Meteor Shower. Mantra of Earth in conjunction with Stone Striker and Stoneflesh Aura and/or Armor of Earth can be used to effectively mitigate most if not all damage due to high AL.
- Assassin: In PvE, Assassin's Promise can be used to spam energy-efficient but slow-recharging ADOT spells such as Ebon Vanguard Assassin Support, Churning Earth, or Chain Lightning. If there is a lot of downtime between battles even Meteor Shower can be used (often combined with Glyph of Sacrifice).
- Ritualist: Death Pact Signet can be used in emergencies to quickly resurrect a key party member, such as a Monk, with high Energy. Flesh of My Flesh can be used as a general purpose hard resurrect without the drawbacks of Death Pact Signet.
- Dervish: Mystic Regeneration is a powerful heal when combined with several Elementalist enchantments (such as Attunements). Dwayna's Touch and Featherfoot Grace provides a decent amount of healing, condition immunity and mobility on a split.
- Ranger: Serpent's Quickness could be used to reduce the recharge time of slow-recharging skills (see above).
|Guides for all Professions|
|Core: Warrior • Ranger • Monk • Necromancer • Mesmer • Elementalist|
|Factions: Assassin • Ritualist Nightfall: Paragon • Dervish|