- 1 Title track
- 2 Acquisition
- 3 Comparision with a 100% map
- 4 Locations to explore
- 5 Normally inaccessible areas
- 6 Mob-free exploration
- 7 Notes
- 8 Trivia
Cartographer is a title awarded to a character who explores 100% of each continent's map. There are separate title tracks for each campaign, prefixed with the name of their respective continent. These titles can be displayed in the "Honor" monument.
Cartographer title track
Tier Prophecies title Factions title Nightfall title Exploration of continent 1 Tyrian Explorer Canthan Explorer Elonian Explorer 60% 2 Tyrian Pathfinder Canthan Pathfinder Elonian Pathfinder 70% 3 Tyrian Trailblazer Canthan Trailblazer Elonian Trailblazer 80% 4 Tyrian Cartographer Canthan Cartographer Elonian Cartographer 90% 5 Tyrian Master Cartographer Canthan Master Cartographer Elonian Master Cartographer 95% 6 Tyrian Grandmaster Cartographer Canthan Grandmaster Cartographer Elonian Grandmaster Cartographer 100%
Legendary Cartographer title track
Title Total maxed cartographer Legendary Cartographer 3
The Grandmaster Cartographer title can only be obtained through extensive and thorough exploration of the world map for a given campaign. You need to "push" your character against the edges of each area in order to "scrape" the edges of the map (commonly referred to as "Wall hugging"). Whilst most of the fog can be uncover this way, smaller remote pieces requires to stand in a specific spot, sometimes looking toward a specific direction or waiting a few moments to ensure the corner or portion gets "unfogged". In a few really rare cases, it may be needed to stand on several different spots. The mission map (default button : U) makes it easier to see and notice areas that have not been explored as compared to the world map.
There is some leeway built into the three titles : uncovering the entire map would add up to more than 100% on each continent. This allows one to ignore areas of the game that become inaccessible as the character progresses through the storyline (e.g. Shing Jea Arena) or locations that are no longer available at all (e.g. Fort Koga). The exact amount of leeway is documented below.
A character obtains the title Legendary Cartographer automatically once all three continent-specific cartography titles are obtained.
Comparision with a 100% map
The most efficient way to know if you're missing several pieces for your title is to compare your map with the map of a player having already reached 100%.
Use of an image processing software
One method of discovering unexplored locations is to take screenshots of your world map and compare it to one of the fully-explored maps on the wiki.
You can also download software that makes it easier to compare two images, e.g. Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or GIMP.
- Change your graphics options to maximum resolution and disable post-processing effects.
- Open up the world map (default shortcut "M") and take a screenshot (Shift+PrtScrn, to hide map markers) in either zoomed-in or zoomed-out mode.
- Open a 100% explored map with your image editing software, then insert your screenshot as a layer on top of the image.
- Set the layer to "difference" to emphasize differences between the two maps. All the explored areas will go dark, and unexplored areas (the differences) will become much brighter.
Remember to align and scale images as needed. You can also change the layer setting from "normal" to "difference" to "hidden" to determine if the bright areas are indeed unexplored areas, or if they are simply due to passing clouds.
Use of a texture-modifyer software
ANet does not support any third party tools, but many players use "Cartography Made Easy", a plug-in for TexMod that makes it easier to see which areas remain fogged. This drastically reduces the amount of time spent pursuing the title, since it makes it possible to uncover the map while vanquishing, during a mission, or while otherwise performing other in-game tasks. See Player-made Modifications for details.
Locations to explore
| The following locations do not count towards any of the cartographer titles:
Normally inaccessible areas
Some places can be reached even though they were not designed to be visited or become inaccessible as the character progresses through the storyline. None of these areas are required for the title, but any fog exposed while exploring them will count towards its progression.
- Talus Chute: along the eastern side edge of the zone (north of the Ice Caves of Sorrow), players can walk up the side of the mountain then traverse the ridge along the northeastern edge of the zone.
- The Great Northern Wall: after the timer starts, run into the Charr camp (north of the wall) to reach the edge of the map and during the way back to the wall explore a bit to the west. Because of the timer, running skills are advised but you may have to do the mission several times until you map everything.
- Sanctum Cay : Watching the end cutscene will uncover some fog, adding an additional 0,2% toward the title.
- Regent Valley : during April Fools' Day, two otherwise unreachable spots to the southeast and southwest can be exposed during Annihilator.
- Eredon Terrace: the mountains northeast of the outpost can be explored by those belonging to the alliance that controls it. You can also reach this area via portal jumping. This bonus part of the map add up to 0.5% leeway to the title.
- Monastery Overlook : in Linnok Courtyard, use Viper's Defense while standing on the cliff edges on one side of the entry portal (you can use a flagged hero/henchman to set the jump direction) to shadow step down the cliff. You can then walk through the gates of the Shing Jea Monastery and explore the Monastery Overlook tutorial area. This contributes 0.5% to Canthan cartographer. This area can also be mapped during Anniversary Celebration, Canthan New Year, and the Dragon Festival, since these events open up the Shing Jea Boardwalk.
- Shing Jea Arena: during The Final Confrontation, there is an opportunity to map the area which is normally unavailable after passing level 10. This can add ~0.29% towards the title.
- Raisu Pavilion: Using a SaO chain allows for mob-free exploration of the entire Raisu Palace (explorable area) and a hidden area to the south of the Imperial Sanctum (outpost), contributing about 0.19% towards the title.
- Wajjun Bazaar : using a Portal jump from Kaineng Docks into The Marketplacewill allow for mob-free exploration of the area and a tiny otherwise unexplorable part in the south section where The Undercity begins. This can add approximately 0.01% towards the title.
- Saint Anjeka's Shrine: the northwest section of the outpost can be explored from the exclusive area (belong to the alliance controlling the outpost). Alternatively, use a SaO chain to gain access to it. This can add approximately 0.02% towards the title.
- Morostav Trail and The Eternal Grove: use Strike as One with a pet to gain access to Vasburg Armory. Exiting Eternal Grove increases the uncoverable map when exiting Vasburg into Morostav Trail and running to where the shrine would have been normally. Exiting Morostav Trail removes the shrine in the north east corner of Vasburg, allowing one to run into the massive rock left of it, into a secret path behind it, uncovering the left side (no extra bits come with that one). This can add approximately 0.05% towards the title.
- Vizunah Square (Foreign Quarter) : Watching the intro cutscene will uncover a part of the fog in the southeast of the area where the mission takes place. This can provide an additional 0,2% toward the title.
- Vizunah Square (Local Quarter) : It is possible to enter the outpost if forming a team with a character with Mayhem in the Market active (only accessible to factions characters) and having completed Zen Daijun. The small part of fog that can only be uncovered from the outpost can also be mapped by SaO chain from Bukdek Byway to The Undercity.
- Churrhir Fields: Using a minion trick, you'll be able to explore the tutorial area, Island of Shehkah, adding up to 0.5% toward the title especially for non-Elonian characters.
- Dzagonur Bastion: ignore all the groups and run for the portal in the south, towards what would be Resplendent Makuun. You can run through the gate and reach the end of the world, adding up to 0.1–0.2% leeway towards the title. There are foes in the way and time is limited. This area can also be mapped using SaO chain.
- Marga Coast: the portal to Sunspear Sanctuary is bugged — it allows heroes to walk through it without bouncing (as they do elsewhere). Send a hero through the portal and Shadow step to him/her (Recall is ideal for this). If having trouble, use the U mini-map to flag the hero to the far side of the hill (left of the portal). You can reach the end of the world and add up to 0.1–0.2% leeway.
- Floodplain of Mahnkelon: use a SaO chain to gain access to Moddock Crevice outpost and the beginning of Bahdok Caverns. Exploring the outpost this way will count toward the title and can add up to 0.3%.
- Vehjin Mines: use a SaO chain to gain access to the tunnel leading to Jennur's Horde outpost. This can add up to 0.1% towards the title.
- Vehjin Mines <-> Holdings of Chokhin: use SaO chains to gain access to each entrance of the tunnel in between the two areas. These two chains can add up to 0,4% toward the title.
- Kodonur Crossroads : watching the intro cutscene (exact conditions still unknown, might be random, moving using keyboard may also be required) will uncover a small 0,1% right above Camp Hojanu.
- Pogahn Passage : watching the end cutscene (as above). This will uncover 0,2% around the southeast of the mission.
Areas that can be explored without any foe
- Dragon's Gullet/Flame Temple Corridor: SaO chain from one map to the other.
- Cursed Lands/Nebo Terrace: Idem
- Tasca's Demise/Mineral Springs: Idem
- Spearhead Peak: SaO chain from Tasca's Demise to The Granite Citadel.
- D'Alessio Seaboard (explorable area): if War In Kryta has been completed and if no Wanted! quest is active, the area can be mapped without encountering any foe.
- Divinity Coast (explorable area): Idem
- Riverside Province : Idem
- Raisu Palace (explorable area): SaO chain from Raisu Pavilion to Raisu Palace (outpost). Also includes the areas accessible during Raisu Palace (mission) and the Divine Path.
- Zen Daijun (explorable area): factions characters can explore a mob-free version of the area provided the attribute quest taking place there has been completed.
- Wajjun Bazaar: SaO chain from Kaineng Docks to The Marketplace.
- Garden of Seborhin: during Tihark Orchard mission, using a shadow step skill such as Return to bypass bodyblocks will allow for full mob-free exploration of the map.
Areas that can be mapped with very few foes
- Gyala Hatchery : Most of the explorable area can be mapped during the mission if the player avoid triggering the turtles. However, two small areas to the east and west will still be closed unless using a minion trick.
- Eternal Grove : Most of the explorable area can be mapped during the mission if going quickly enough or leaving at least one luxon (for example a ranger) of the last wave alive. However, some areas will not be reachable unless doing a minion trick.
- Nahpui Quarter : The area accessible during the mission can be mapped from the explorable area. Rest of the map is filled with foes.
- Tahnakai Temple : Same as above
- Some areas can only be explored during a mission with a time constraint (e.g. south of the Dunes of Despair mission map or during Vizunah Square). Make sure that other players in your party know about your interest in mapping before you begin.
- Many areas can be quickly explored by running; bring heroes with party-wide speed boosts (e.g. "Charge!" or "Incoming!") and ignore any foes.
- Watching the Fort Aspenwood (i.e. Kurzick and Luxon) and the Jade Quarry (i.e. Kurzick and Luxon) cinematics unfogs areas in Fort Aspenwood and the Jade Quarry, respectively.
- Minor known portal jump and minion trick locations provide additional small bonus points toward exploration ; these are included in the Borderless Cartography Made Easy mod.
- GuildWiki has estimated the amount of leeway built-in to the titles as follows:
- Tyria: > 1.49% (about the size of an average mission or explorable area, e.g. Salt Flats or Sanctum Cay)
- Cantha: > 0.94% (about the size of Fort Aspenwood)
- These estimates do not include exploring areas that are otherwise inaccessible; portal jumping and Minion trick can provide additional leeway, especially for Cantha and Elona.
- Prior to the February 21, 2013 update which removed the ability to teleport with player skills, you could get a certain amount of percentage in The Frost Gate and The Wilds towards the Tyrian Cartographer title.
|Core||Cartographer • Drunkard • Guardian • Maxed Titles • Party Animal • Protector • Skill Hunter • Survivor • Sweet Tooth • Vanquisher|
|Prophecies||Legendary Defender of Ascalon|
|Nightfall||Lightbringer • Sunspear|
|Eye of the North||Asura • Deldrimor • Ebon Vanguard • Master of the North • Norn|
|All campaigns||Legendary Cartographer • Legendary Guardian • Legendary Skill Hunter • Legendary Vanquisher|
|Core||Champion • Codex • Gamer • Gladiator • Hero • Lucky • Treasure Hunter • Unlucky • Wisdom • Zaishen|
|Factions||Kurzick • Luxon|