The Vault box, better known as Storage, is the inventory repository service offered by the Xunlai Guild. The vault is shared by all characters on the account. Unlimited access to storage costs 50 for roleplaying characters and is free for PvP-only characters (once the vault is unlocked for the account).
Anything that can be stored in the inventory can also be stored in the Vault box. It can be used to store three types of things:
- Currency: the vault can hold up to 1000.
- Items: by default, the vault comes with 40 slots for any item that you can carry, much like a character's backpack.
- Materials: after paying an additional 50 fee, you can store up to one stack (250) of each type of rare and common crafting material.
The total amount of gold and platinum currently in the Vault box is shown at the top of the window. Right below it are the buttons used to deposit and withdraw money. Any character may deposit and withdraw money.
The Vault box contains up to nine tabs (or panes) of storage space, each with 20 slots for items. As with your backpack, items that cannot be stacked will take up one slot each.
You can expand your item storage as follows:
- Every account comes with one pane. Every campaign added to the account adds one pane. Thus, an account with all three campaigns will have four panes.
- You can purchase up to four additional panes through through the Guild Wars In-Game Store or NCsoft Store.
- As part of the Fourth Year Anniversary Celebration, players were able to add a ninth slot for free. This limited offer is no longer available to new or veteran players (see Notes for additional details).
Material storage is an optional in-game upgrade to the Vault box; each PvE character must pay the 50 fee to be able to use it. As noted above, the material pane holds up to 250 of each type of crafting material; any surplus will take up a separate slot in the ordinary storage (or the character's inventory).
As with ordinary storage, PvP characters do not have to pay a fee, but cannot gain access unless that tab is unlocked by a PvE character.
- Moving away from the Xunlai Chest while the Vault box window is open does not prevent you from using it.
- Trial accounts are not allowed to purchase the material pane upgrade.
- There is a ninth pane that is free and does not count towards the eight basic slots (four from campaigns and four through microtransactions). This tab's icon is a gift box and is always located after the last standard tab (i.e. those marked with a roman numeral). Before the April 22, 2015 (Tenth Year Anniversary Celebration) update, if you move your cursor over the icon, the pop-up text would display "4th Anniversary Storage". After that update, the pop-up text will simply display "Anniversary Storage".
- This ninth pane was first offered during the Fourth Year Anniversary Celebration. This promotional offer ran from April 23 through June 30, 2009 (although it was originally set to expire on May 31).
- The Xunlai Anniversary Storage Voucher introduced in the Tenth Year Anniversary Celebration can also be used to unlock that ninth pane.
- The July 13, 2006 update introduced the material pane upgrade, reducing the need for mule characters. It was originally made available only to accounts with access to Guild Wars Factions, but after Guild Wars Nightfall was released, all accounts were able to access this upgrade. When the material pane upgrade was first released, it was purchasable from a Xunlai Representative, but they have since been removed from the game.
- Prior to the April 5, 2007 update, there was only one item storage tab available for the Vault box.
- There was a Guild Vault planned after the release of Factions but never implemented due to technical reasons.
- Prior to the Fourth Anniversary Update on April 23, 2009, players could only have four panes of storage.
- Information about storage on the official website.