...How exactly does this skill work? I mean yea, I understand the concept, lose 10 energy and deal a fair amount of damage back to your enemy. But honestly - if you're hit 5 times, that's 50 energy, not even considering what you're using with your other skills and what might be stolen from you. How can one POSSIBLY hope to keep this enchantment active for more than a few seconds? Adam
- Holy Wrath does not end once you reach zero energy. :) --Dirigible 10:59, 9 May 2007 (EDT)
So use it with a character build that doesn't use any other energy skills? Is that it's ideal usage? Adam
- Yup, which is usually signets or adrenaline skills. Another option is to use a few more maintained enchantments; as a spellcaster, you have 4 pips of regen and since you'll be at 0 energy the whole time, you might as well make use of those other 3 pips of regen remaining. --Dirigible 15:10, 10 May 2007 (EDT)
OK: For every pip of Energy Regeneration, you can maintain one enchantment at 0 energy. In other words, if you have 4 pips of energy regeneration by default, you can maintain 4 Enchantments and expend your energy down to 0, with no penalty. Any additional maintained enchantments will be lost, however the 4 that were cast first will be kept. Note that the damage from Holy Wrath (as well as Retribution) is only triggered by melee attacks: whether that be by normal melee weapons (Axe, Sword, etc) or ranged attacks (Bows, Spears, Wands+Staves). So the concept is: Cast this on yourself, and every time someone strikes you in melee, you deal 66% of that damage back to the target, up to the stated maximum. It may not seem like a lot, but if you have massive heals triggered by taking damage (Spirit Bond, etc) then the damage adds up, and this concept is used to kill many foes to farm loot. Hope that helped, Adam. --ChristopherRodrigues 06:51, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
An example of what the above user said is
MageMontu 07:16, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
 Retribution+Holy Wrath = 99% Damage Back!
Well pretty much that's what one build is based off of... apparently... Warrior Monk:
12+3+1 Smiting Prayers 12 Tactics (apparently) rest into anything you want O.o
Adrenal Skill 1 Adrenal Skill 2 Signet 1 (best if it's an elite like Signet of Judgment) Healing Signet (if you want them to take back damage, then well -40 armor will help, and it heals) Holy Wrath Retribution Mending Live Vicariously
Tactic: Hit them so Live Vicariously will take affect, and use Healing Signet AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. If your taking too much then use Signet of Judgment to knock them down. Note: You need to put those enchantments in order from 5,6,7,8 so then if they strip enchantment then live vicariously will go off first.
This was my friend's idea and it worked... It can also be done with a signet/adrenaline warrior/monk.
- I'll just use a few spells. Or degen you to death with my cripshot (Burning Arrow + Apply > Mending). Or remove your enchants. Then again, if this is for RA... BRING DECAPITATE! 220.127.116.11 19:09, 16 June 2008 (UTC)
- I really hope that's a joke...mending is terrible, and live vicariously is too. Healing signet as your primary heal is just dumb (monk with -40 armor = dead monk). Dealing a minor amount of damage back to your target really won't balance how useless your character is. You'd do so much better playing any mediocre or better healer. Hell, you could run an unyielding aura monk in RA and do better than that piece of crap build.
- 1) Cripshot+Burning Arrow= too many elites on your bar. 2) It's a W/Mo, not a Mo/x. It's still horribly gimped, but its viable for low level PvE and good for a laugh in RA. --18.104.22.168 01:32, 21 October 2008 (UTC)
Should also be said that It can be found in LA,i would do it myself but dont know how.
- They dont reduce damage, just make your attacker take the damage as well.--22.214.171.124 03:41, 29 March 2009 (UTC)
- Realy Sorry may bad--126.96.36.199 04:26, 3 May 2009 (UTC)
should the noted be updated to say that if a skeleton hits someone with holy wrath on, it will deal double damage regardless of the return cap eg: skeleton hits u for 100 damage, the cap of holy wrath could be 20 but it would do 40 damage, breaking the cap because of the natural double damage form holy damage
- No, because it should already be known that holy damage does double to (most)undeads.Pika Fan 19:50, 15 January 2009 (UTC)
- That's not entirely it obvious when it comes to something like this. Unless you know otherwise there's no way to know whether the double damage is applied before or after the cap, and the point of a note like that would be to let people know otherwise. Pjwned 21:48, 29 March 2011 (UTC)
where does it say that this does holy damage?
- its pretty famous that all smiting prayers do holy damage:>188.8.131.52 19:18, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
- Zealot's Fire is a smiting prayer. It deals fire damage.:
- "Holy" Wrath...184.108.40.206 22:30, 26 February 2010 (UTC)
- It could still do typeless damage and since it isn't specified some people might think it is typeless, hence the note. Pjwned 21:48, 29 March 2011 (UTC)
 "Damage output"
- Does the person using holy wrath have to use the shout for it to take effect, or does the person enchanted with it have to use it? ~ 220.127.116.11 15:10, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
- The person maintaining the skills would have to use BUH for it to increase the damage. Merri Weathers 00:17, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
 Lion´s Arch Skill Trainer
He doesn´t have it, removing. probably someone already unlocked it and saw it there.
- Forgot to sign 18.104.22.168 10:50, 28 November 2009 (UTC)
 Best casting animation?
It is seriously cool. MrCheesecake 05:00, 13 December 2009 (UTC)
 Use for PvP?
Could we have a 1/4 cast so we can use this in PvP as a counter? Would be funny to watch a team spike and 25% of their HP bars do down due to their own attacks. - SabreWolf 07:25, 26 February 2010 (UTC)
- I'd love that, but I don't think it could be achieved without doing a complete revamp of Smiting Prayers. And then that revamp would have to be successful in getting Smiting Prayers a place in a non-joke team. Which would probably be difficult. Bathory talk 19:37, 14 September 2010 (UTC)
 Only +/- 300 damage every 10 seconds in hardmode?
This skill was the main damage dealer of the 600/smite build. It only does an average of 300 damage in hardmode now and is therefore doing less damage then retribution. It further must be casted on you by an ally with the risk of breaking up the aggro. The question is now, can you imagine a situation where this skill is still useful or can it be archived? Marcus The Cube
- In regular play. | 72 (UTC) 16:01, 26 February 2010 (UTC)
- Offensive Spirit Bond, I like it. 22.214.171.124 16:09, 26 February 2010 (UTC)
- ++to elaborate++ Casting time was reduced and it's still available every 10 seconds ...AAAAANND... both its maintenance penalties were removed. It's now a Spike style damage reflector that requires some timing but free's up each prot monk using it to multitask instead of designing their entire build around bonding. Bonding was ALWAYS boring and pointless in PvE anyway. (or atleast very tedious and too minmaxy for Heroes to fill). This fixes that and more. (...now they just need to nerf Spirit Bond next). --ilr 18:29, 26 February 2010 (UTC)
Anet is only making sure the smiter is a human Imo Still Spellbreaker is a sad reality XD--Batousai 03:41, 27 February 2010 (UTC)
- Oddly enough, I find that the hero still works better to cast Holy Wrath, especially if you have it on a mouse button...Erring Ryft 01:50, 26 April 2010 (UTC)
 Re: using with soa
If cast before soa full dmg, if soa cast before then the dmg will quickly go down to 1. 126.96.36.199 07:06, 22 May 2010 (UTC)
- Good observation. Would you mind reflecting this on Order of damage modifiers, if it's not already done? — Raine Valen 3:54, 3 Nov 2010 (UTC)
D : 188.8.131.52 18:46, 16 September 2010 (UTC)
 Holy Wrath Deals Holy Damage
Obvious note is obvious? 184.108.40.206 19:41, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- 1. other skills with the name Holy do not always do holy damage; 2. it deals back "the damage" which could be interpreted as the same that the attacker did. | 72 | 00:37, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
 Question about "attack" damage
Does this reflect skill attacks as well or just auto attacks? Pjwned 21:54, 29 March 2011 (UTC)
- Both. — Raine Valen 21:56, 29 Mar 2011 (UTC)
- Cool, that's what I thought but it's hard to tell with this stuff sometimes. Pjwned 22:26, 29 March 2011 (UTC)
 Mark of Protection
Would Holy Wrath deal damage with Mark of Protection up, if you cast it in a certain order? 220.127.116.11 18:02, 7 June 2011 (UTC)