User:LordBiro/Big giant archive dump of doom

From Guild Wars Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Playing the game[edit]

Are you still unable to play the game? I would very much enjoy playing the PvE campaigns with a great wiki friend. :) -- Gem (gem / talk) 15:33, 17 April 2007 (EDT)

Hehe, I would love to play the game, Gem! And I would love to play it with you :) but unfortunately I don't have a powerful enough PC at present (my current one broke and I am stuck using an old laptop). Luckily I've just got a new job, so I will soon have some cash with which to purchase a new PC :D
A lot of my friends are playing Nightfall at the moment, so I feel quite left out :( LordBiro 15:51, 17 April 2007 (EDT)
Great news that you have a new comp coming! Feel free to contact me if you want to play. :) -- Gem (gem / talk) 21:45, 17 April 2007 (EDT)
We're in the same boat then LB :/ My graphics card seems to have commited hari kiri and no longer wants to let me play past the Domain of Fear - GW crashes and I get a message saying "GW has encountered an unrecoverable graphics driver error". Strange how that only happened after I downloaded DirectX 9.0c update... So I am plodding around all the lower level areas, while waiting to get a new card. On the plus side (and every cloud has a etc) I did get a sapphire drop from a lvl 7 Boulder Elemental while helping someone get Althea's Ashes :) Cheered me up no end. Ah, the simple pleasures we often take for granted once we hit those pay-dirt levels. User Fox.jpg Fox (talk|contribs) 06:05, 18 April 2007 (EDT)
You're thinking it could be because of a DirectX update? It's far more likely that your computer is just too scared to continue into such dangerous territory! -- Dashface User Dashface.png 20:27, 18 April 2007 (EDT)
(random musing) wouldn't it be nice to have an Official GWW Guild, full of like-minded people screencapping, skilltesting and occasionally just having fun? --SnogratUser Snograt signature.png 20:34, 18 April 2007 (EDT)
What to call it. Ah yes... [OWGA] - Official Wiki Geeks Anonymous. :p Hullo, my name is Aspectacle and I can't seem to ignore the wiki. Gah! --Aspectacle 20:46, 18 April 2007 (EDT)
Why not just "I live on the [WIKI]?" Or, of course, one could also go with "Recent Changes Spam Patrol [WIKI]" or "Wiki isn't a suggestion site [undo]." MisterPepe talk 21:09, 18 April 2007 (EDT)
Wiki Editors Have No [Life] hehe. Ah well, just a dream :) --SnogratUser Snograt signature.png 21:14, 18 April 2007 (EDT)
I Have Reverted Your [edit]  :D User Fox.jpg Fox (talk|contribs) 04:19, 19 April 2007 (EDT)
[edit], hehe. Awesome. :) LordBiro 04:29, 19 April 2007 (EDT)
Oh, this is fun. I like the Recent changes spam patrol [wiki] and [edit] suggestions ;D - Anja Astor Anja Astor (talk) 06:46, 19 April 2007 (EDT)
I Have Reverted Your [edit] sounds awesome. We could also have a "Passionate Contributing Editors Anonymous[Wiki].--Bane of Worlds (talkcontribs) 15:58, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
I'll join [edit] - who's starting it? User Fox.jpg Fox (talk|contribs) 17:20, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
Done, I registered it with one of my secondary accounts. I can't find your IGN anywhere tho, Fox. Whoever wants an invite, either post your IGN here or email me with it. If anyone wants leadership, I'll gladly give it too, I play GW too rarely to be reliable for that. :P --Dirigible 06:57, 21 April 2007 (EDT)
Too bad I'm already in (and leader of) a nice guild, and only have one account now. Otherwise I would join :) - Anja Anja Astor (talk) 08:09, 21 April 2007 (EDT)

(reset indent)
Sorry, D, wasn't watching this page :P I will email you my IG name. I'm avoiding playing GW for the next day or so until I've fitted the new (and extortionately priced - for that kind of money I expect someone from ATI to come around my place and fix me cold cuts and beer while I play) graphics card. Hm, by the way, anybody have a space on vent or TS server for the guild..? User Fox.jpg Fox (talk|contribs) 07:39, 26 April 2007 (EDT)

I'm not sure this guild idea is really working, to be honest. :P Right now the guild is empty, the only member it had was Auron who only stayed there for a few hours before jumping ship elsewhere (BOO!). And as I said above, I haven't even really played GuildWars in months; my game-time is spent here on the wiki. So joining right now would leave you in an empty guild with a guy who logs on only for a couple of hours a week. Any ideas on how to get more members there? Maybe we could just go to Random Arenas D1 and randomly get people from there? Dunno. :P --Dirigible 07:50, 26 April 2007 (EDT)
Or just work out a meeting place instead of a guild, since most people have a guild they like already. We could have a meeting place, just like the [boat] guild has/had. What do you think? My suggestion is some less crowded town, not like LA or Kamadan, and a international district ofcourse :) - Anja Anja Astor (talk) 07:59, 26 April 2007 (EDT)
How many of all of your guilds are in an alliance? We could certainly be allied under [edit], at least temporarily. LordBiro 08:00, 26 April 2007 (EDT)

New computer![edit]

Just thought I would let the world know that I have just got a new computer and I am playing Guild Wars again :)

I got numerous messages from people last night, including Auron and Skuld, and some people who I don't know, but I was busy celebrating my return by playing in a full Touch Ranger team in Alliance Battles, so apologies if I didn't reply :P LordBiro 10:48, 20 April 2007 (EDT)

Hehe congrats! Just in time for Hard Mode too, if you are interested in that kind of stuff (-: -User:PanSola (talk to the File:Follower of Lyssa.png) 10:51, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
Hehe, yeah, I fancy giving that a go ;) it looks pretty fun! LordBiro 10:58, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
Touch ranger? *yikes* Good to have you on GW again though! -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 11:24, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
Yay! Feel free to whisper me in game if you need help or company for anything, I'll gladly put aside anything I'm doing. (unless I'm serving a customer ;) ) -- Gem (gem / talk) 12:03, 20 April 2007 (EDT)

Great, now we only need Tanaric back out of retirement and we are set, hehe. --Xeeron 18:41, 20 April 2007 (EDT)

Done and done. Beat Prophecies a few hours ago, beat Hard Northern Wall and my Hard Doppelganger just now. :) —Tanaric 07:56, 21 April 2007 (EDT)
Woah, Awesome! -- Gem (gem / talk) 08:11, 21 April 2007 (EDT)

Admin noticeboard[edit]

Howdy, Biro. You've already seen admin noticeboard, so I'm really leaving this message here just for completeness' sake. :) --Dirigible 18:09, 27 April 2007 (EDT)

Reminder[edit]

Some questions for you are at Guild Wars Wiki talk:Copyrighted content/draft B. And while I'm at it, how about giving your opinion of DynamicPageList? =) Or are you still evaluating it? --Rezyk 05:29, 28 April 2007 (EDT)

I'm sorry, Rezyk! The draft was not on my watchlist! I still don't know about DymanicPageList :) I do like it, and I think it would be pretty cool to have skill quick references without compiling lists of skills by hand... I'm not quite a support yet though! :) LordBiro 05:38, 28 April 2007 (EDT)
No apology necessary; I would have just reminded you sooner if it was urgent enough. =) The new proposal is up now if you'd like to comment. --Rezyk 06:21, 28 April 2007 (EDT)
For DPL, no problem. I probably could/should try to drum up more support for it elsewhere too, especially if you're not opposing it either. ;) Please let me know if you have any specific concerns I can try to address. --Rezyk 06:28, 28 April 2007 (EDT)

:([edit]

-AuronMy Talk 06:29, 2 May 2007 (EDT)

Wub <3 :) LordBiro 07:30, 2 May 2007 (EDT)

Off topic[edit]

That's a bold haircut you're sporting, LB - but you seem to be able to pull it off. You're at Uni in Edinburgh, I see, but are you actually a jock or from the north of England somewhere? I once visited Edinburgh around April time - it snowed to remind me that its Scotland, too. Went drinking in Rose Street with a girl from Dundee who was about 5 feet tall, very dainty and pretty, but could swear till your ears curled and had only slightly less aggression than Mike Tyson on PCP. Good days lol User Fox.jpg Fox (talk|contribs) 06:35, 2 May 2007 (EDT)

Hey Fox! Thanks, I shave it fairly regularly, it's much more manageable this way!
Yes, I am from the North-east of England, a place called Sunderland. My girlfriend and I had visited Edinburgh a number of years ago and we loved it. After Uni we decided to move in together, and Edinburgh was the obvious choice! I haven't regretted it yet :)
Edinburgh is a lovely place, the people are friendly and the atmosphere is wonderful, although it does get a bit busy during the Edinburgh festival! If ever you decide to visit again let me know ;) LordBiro 09:26, 2 May 2007 (EDT)

Shocking[edit]

My best was two 5s on par 3 holes. I won't mention the worst. ~_~ - BeX 21:27, 3 May 2007 (EDT)

That's not terrible! My only experience with golf is Wii golf, so I can't really criticise you ;P LordBiro 03:56, 4 May 2007 (EDT)
I'm just the opposite. I experienced proper golf once, and soundly swore to play only Wii golf from then on. :) —Tanaric 10:39, 4 May 2007 (EDT)
Hehe :) it's a regular wish of mine that Wii Sports had online multiplayer. Tennis/baseball/boxing might have been a challenge to implement, but golf and bowling would surely be very straightforward. LordBiro 10:52, 4 May 2007 (EDT)

I hit my dad and a duck today. I beat my best - got a 4 on one of the par 3 holes I got a 5 on last week. My swing is heaps better now - my sister gave me a couple of tips and now I'm doing so much better! Next week we're going to the driving range instead. I feel so posh. ;D - BeX 03:21, 11 May 2007 (EDT)

YOU HIT A DUCK? Is that some golfing term...? LordBiro 04:55, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
No, there were heaps of ducks and it didn't move. The ball wasnt going very fast at that point though. It was funny, but afterwards I was hoping I didn't give it any internal injuries. It really didn't seem to care though. o_O - BeX 01:43, 12 May 2007 (EDT)

{{skill progression}}[edit]

Would it be possible to get a div-tag on the progression table as well, so that if I want, I can override that style with the one in my monobook.css? Or would that be not desirable? -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 11:16, 7 May 2007 (EDT)

Yes, that would be possible. It's not undesirable although I'd recommend giving the table a class, rather than putting a div around it. :) LordBiro 11:19, 7 May 2007 (EDT)

MediaWiki talk:Common.js[edit]

Column-hiding for IE6 and IE7 requires some javascript to compensate for M$ bugs. Thanks (-: -User:PanSola (talk to the File:Follower of Lyssa.png) 14:18, 7 May 2007 (EDT)

Main page re-sync[edit]

Hi there Biro! Do you think we should sync the main page with the editcopy? It seems to be stable, and people have asked about getting an accessible link to Hard mode. I didn't want to just do it, though, so I wanted to point it out to you for evaluation. --UserEmilyDiehlStar.gif Emily Diehl (talk) 14:55, 7 May 2007 (EDT)

Thanks Emily :) I'll reply over there! LordBiro 15:01, 7 May 2007 (EDT)

Umm... I *think* you're the right person to ask about this[edit]

I set up a bot account, and I was wondering if you would be so kind to take a look at my bot status request at GWW:NOTICE (I'm pretty sure BCrats set up that status, rather than sysops) Thanks! MisterPepe talk 05:05, 11 May 2007 (EDT)

I was just reading the request actually :) What is the exact content you're going to be putting on quest articles? Could you give an example with 1 article before you started? LordBiro 05:09, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
Already did, actually. I tested it on Speak with Headmaster Lee (Assassin) - there was one small flaw with my setup, but it's been fixed now. You know, I would kind of like to have a policy for this, but I don't really think many people are going to set up bots =P MisterPepe talk 05:12, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
I have a problem with using placeholder articles. They're not particularly useful to readers, just us editors. I would rather a quest article contained nothing than contained a jumble of headers and instructions (i.e. "Insert overview here").
I think it would be extremely helpful if, instead of this generic placeholder, you were to fill in some of the information. The only two mandatory fields in quest infobox are "campaign" and "region". I think filling in this small amount of useful information would be more benefical than placeholder text. LordBiro 05:45, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
Actually, that's pretty easy for me to do as well. The way I've set it up, rather than being a program that makes each change automatically and moves on, it's an automated wiki editing program that, once I hit "Save Page" it opens the next one immediately, so I don't have to waste time opening the next one on the list. Technically, it's not even a bot, so I really don't need to request bot status - I just don't want to flood RC (even though it's not a bot, I can pretty easily make 10-20 edits/minute =P).
Anyway, after it inserts whatever text I've set it up to do (which is fairly simple to change), it allows me to change anything I want before saving - basically, it's a browser that allows me to make changes much, much faster than I would normally. If you'd rather I did it that way, it'd slow me down, but it's not much of a problem.
The program I'm using also has a built-in spellcheck, so it's rather nice for going through and correcting articles that have errors. Ab.er.rant has also requested that someone with bot goodness replaces all "==Dialogues== with ==Dialogue==" on quest pages - something this program is pretty much ideal for.
And reallly, the goal behind doing this was to make it useful to editors, not to readers. If the pages is easier to enter information on, then it's easier (and less intimidating, IMO) for people to make the small contributions that build a wiki up. Even if you'd rather I skipped this particular project, it's a pretty powerful tool - and if I've got it up and running, it makes it really easy to do all of the various clean-up tasks that consensus requests. MisterPepe talk 12:17, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
Your tool sounds pretty good!
I understand your motivations for using placeholders, it's just that we can't prioritise editors over readers. Leaving information that you don't know out of an article is fine, but leaving instructions for other people to follow, or empty sections, just makes the article look wrong to someone who isn't familiar with our methods. I hope that makes sense!
In honesty I would much prefer you to fill in information with this "bot", even if it would take a little longer. Sorry! Is there no way you can just select all of the nightfall quests? Or all of the vabbi quests? LordBiro 12:31, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
It's a little more complicated, but it's possible. More likely, what I'd do is do that pretty simple editing by hand in each one - it's only fixing two words, so it's pretty easy. It'd make it take, say, 10 sec each page instead of 6 ;) While I could split it up - that's not really a problem - in fact it's pretty easy - I kind of want to make sure I don't miss any. If I were filling in said information, would I still leave in the rest of the template, or just the infobox? I don't really care either way, so it's up to you. =) MisterPepe talk 12:37, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
[EDIT] Actually, thanks to Guild Wars Wiki:Projects/Quests where someone made a happy little list of quests by region, I can import that by region and have it autopopulate. Much joy. MisterPepe talk 12:43, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
Ah, that's awesome :D Well, I would just edit the articles so that the infobox was there, and not add anything else. That's a good start and a step in the right direction :) LordBiro 12:48, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
Makes sense. Do you want to do Bot status, or should I flood 300+ changes in the next 20 minutes? =P MisterPepe talk 12:50, 11 May 2007 (EDT)
I shall do it now :) LordBiro 12:51, 11 May 2007 (EDT)

What about commenting out the empty information like this: <!-- this is not visible -->. So we could add the framework for editors but readers just see the stub notice. poke | talk 13:35, 11 May 2007 (EDT)

That's acceptable too! At least in my opinion. :) LordBiro 14:05, 11 May 2007 (EDT)

Holy crap![edit]

What's with everyone making guilds on GWW now? They are all unregistered and none of them follow the formatting guide. I think it is just one person using a proxy and making up random guild names and stuff. Is there anyway to restrict users not logged in from making Guild Pages? Such as blocking their creation of Guild: things?

Eloc... Check the new update, then check the discussion. Its not one person, its many persons. -- 19px (General | Talk) 02:48, 25 May 2007 (UTC)

Delete an image please[edit]

Delete the following image please http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Image:Final_Realm_Cape.JPG tyvm :)

Done. LordBiro 13:39, 26 May 2007 (UTC)

Redirect fix note[edit]

We should not encourage people to fix redirects? The whole point of those "R from/to ..." templates is to provide an explanation of whether or not a redirect should be fixed. Take misspelling for example... why shouldn't we encourage ppl to fix misspellings? -- ab.er.rant sig 09:35, 28 May 2007 (UTC)

I've explained on the redirects talk page. I have no problem with fixing misspellings, and I suppose you could revert my edit to {{R from common misspelling}} (link removed, see below). But I think it's better we continue this conversation on the redirect talk page :) LordBiro 09:40, 28 May 2007 (UTC)
Yea, i know, I saw your post there 'right after I saved the above comment :P -- ab.er.rant sig 13:51, 28 May 2007 (UTC)
Removing the link that was once a vandalism target and now finally unprotected and deleted to rest in peace. -- ab.er.rant User Ab.er.rant Sig.png 15:23, 27 February 2008 (UTC)

Weigh in, when you can[edit]

Hola,

Take a look at User talk:Karlos#deleted redirect when you get a chance and give me your thoughts. I can't escape the thought process that Tanaric likes a policy X (which is undocumented on this wiki) and when a situation arised where the written policy on this wiki coincided with X, he cited the GWWiki policy, and when one arised where it did not agree with X, he pointed out it was not actual policy.

I'm pretty ticked off at this because he approved of a bad practice (user reverting admin on policy edit instead of waiting for the discussion), indulged in a bad practice (removed a delete tag, whereby there is no recourse for me to raise the issue even), all to enforce a policy that is NOT written here (that he likes that discussion on GWiki and wants to allow as many redirects as possible).

At this point, his credibility on this issue is not very high in my view simply because I feel he is enforcing "his way" not an actual policy. I would like your input on the matter, if possible. --Karlos 08:01, 29 May 2007 (UTC)

Hey K, I'm reading through everything now. LordBiro 17:15, 29 May 2007 (UTC)

Note from the sidelines[edit]

Just read up on this, and this looks like a mess of misunderstandings. Just let me chime in one fact: All formatting articles are not policy. They should not be cited as thought they were policy substitutes or used as basis for deletes. If a user knowingly does something that contradicts formatting, the way to deal with it is the same as with all other edits on the wiki: take it to that articles talk page and argue there why your version is better. --Xeeron 09:49, 29 May 2007 (UTC)

Signature[edit]

How do I change it? I wanna add in a picture but not sure how to...--Eloc 22:26, 31 May 2007 (UTC)

If you click on "my preferences" and have a look at the nickname field, this is the text that is printed whenever you use your signature (I guess you know this already since your sig is customized). To have a picture in your sig you need to upload an image and then include it in your signature, so [[User:Eloc Jcg|Eloc]] [[Image:User_Eloc_sig_image.jpg| ]].
The "| " at the end is so no "alt" text is included in your signature image. If you don't know what that means, just trust me! :)
Make sure whatever image you use meets our GWW:SIGN policy, specifically GWW:SIGN#Images. :) LordBiro 22:44, 31 May 2007 (UTC)

CreateBox[edit]

Do you need/want a better answer to your question (about auto-population) before deciding whether or not to oppose CreateBox? --Rezyk 07:31, 6 June 2007 (UTC)

No, I'm sure it will be useful anyway, but I do think that if we can't force certain parameters, i.e. make sure the Guild name is the same as the one from which the link was clicked or similar, we'll see some new problems :) LordBiro 17:27, 6 June 2007 (UTC)

Hate to bother you...[edit]

...but could I possibly get your opinion on this discussion? Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 03:59, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

I hope that sufficed :) LordBiro 17:30, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
Given that all I was asking for was anything at all, it certainly did. Just figured that Auron and I had a base difference in opinion, so a conversation between just the two of us was going nowhere. :) Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 20:10, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

How did you do the skill box template?[edit]

That one has frustrated me due to my lacking wiki-skills. First, I just wanted to find out how to use an image as background (like in the skill box), but then I found out that significant part of the code of Template:Skill infobox are not in the actual template itself, but hidden somewhere, called by the lines with div classes, so now I am bugged about finding out where that code is as well. Frustrating, but you should know. =) --Xeeron 15:17, 21 June 2007 (UTC)

The goodness can be found here, I think: MediaWiki:Common.css, hope this helps! -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 15:25, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
Thx a ton. Just so I get this right, by playing the appropriate content of MediaWiki:Common.css#Skill specific styles right into any wiki page (in the right order, filling in variables), I could produce the same output as the skill box template and change it as well? --Xeeron 15:35, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
I'm not 100% sure, since I'm not a CSS-king like Biro is. I guess he'll be able to answer your question more acurate than I can. AFAIK, a lot of the content is generated by CSS and if you are going to use the div-elements, you can use the same CSS-calls. But I somehow doubt that it would be usable on other pages, but you can always try. -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 16:05, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
Hey Xeeron, yeah, here is a quick example:
This box is especially for Xeeron!
At present there are some rules in common.css that say if there is a div with the class "skill-box" AND the class "Profession" then set the background to be a profession image. Otherwise set it to be a generic image. It is not possible (as far as I'm aware) to set the background of an element to be an image using wiki-code. If there is a background image set in the style attribute of an element then it will be ignored.
This div below should look exactly the same as the ones above:
This box is especially for Xeeron!
So anyway, my point is, if you want to set the background image of an element to be an image then the only way I know to do it is to alter your personal stylesheet or add it to MediaWiki's public stylesheets. Obviously for development and testing your personal stylesheet should be used.
I hope that helps! LordBiro 17:22, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
Ok, thx, that was what I was searching for. =) --Xeeron 17:46, 21 June 2007 (UTC)

Template question/issues[edit]

Heya Biro! Can you poke your head over here when you get a chance and see if you have any ideas about this issue? :) --UserEmilyDiehlStar.gif Emily Diehl (talk) 20:29, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

Page protection[edit]

Hi! We have a problem on Great Temple of Balthazar. Some unregistered users trying to add their inappropiate content over and over again. I think we should add a {{la|ARTICLE}} template for page protection like Wikipedia. And please can you block editing this article for unregistered users? Thanks! --BigBlueMonk 20.png talk 07:45, 25 June 2007 (UTC)

I'm not too sure - it's really only the one person/ip (216.141.232.220). Standard administrative wristslapping procedures should apply ;) --SnogratUser Snograt signature.png 08:47, 25 June 2007 (UTC)
Protection should be the last straw to use and only in really really hard cases, definitely not for stuff like this. I've banned the IP due to multiple personal attacks for one day. -- Gem (gem / talk) 21:06, 26 June 2007 (UTC)
Agreed. LordBiro 21:09, 26 June 2007 (UTC)

Item infobox, CSS and merges, your thoughts please[edit]

Hey LordBiro, as our resident CSS and usability guru, I thought I'd draw your attention to the discussion unfolding at Template talk:Rune infobox and Template talk:Item infobox. Specifically I was wondering about how easy it would be to split the CSS formatting elements away from the current infoboxes (similar to the skill infobox), and in-general improve the item infoboxes ease-of-use and facilitate a possible merge with the other item-based infoboxes. Your input would be appreciated when you have time. --Indecision 00:50, 27 June 2007 (UTC)

Hey Indecision! It's hard to comment on a merge, but looking at the item and rune infoboxes it should be quite straightforward to produce non-table versions. I'll produce something as soon as I get the chance. In the meantime you could probably produce something yourself (or anyone else who wants to give it a try) by copying the skill infobox and taking out references to "skill". I tried to keep the infobox CSS and the skill infobox CSS separate to accommodate future skill boxes, but it probably goes without saying that I might not have covered everything :) LordBiro 07:21, 27 June 2007 (UTC)
Just a quick poke to bring your attention to this Template talk:Item infobox, where we have restarted a bit of discussion on improving the item infobox. As far as User:LordBiro/Item infobox goes, I think the problem with multiple line entries might have something to do with changing the dimension of the div so that height scaless automatically (or be related to margin settings), although I can't remember the exact code to do it :). --Indecision 11:16, 24 September 2007 (UTC)

Quick question[edit]

I have a quick question for you *throws blanket over Biro and runs* -- Scourge User Scourge Spade.gif 07:06, 6 July 2007 (UTC)

Yeah, sure, how can I — ARGH! BLANKETED! HALP! LordBiro 16:52, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
*halps while stealing Biro's wallet* —Tanaric 21:39, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
*tackles Tanaric, hands Biro his wallet back under Scourge's blanket* "Eww, that blanket smells Scourge!" >:) -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 21:42, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
CoRrRan, I was going to donate the contents of that wallet to charity. You are now directly responsible for children starving. I don't know how you can live with yourself. —Tanaric 21:47, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
Who said I didn't take out the money before I returned it? *whistles innocently* (Btw, kids are overrated... ;) ) -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 21:49, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
I was going to use that money to buy a new computer game. You are all now directly responsible for me having to play a game I already own. I don't know how you can live with yourselves. LordBiro 21:52, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
Who said you could come out? Back in the blanket :P -- Scourge User Scourge Spade.gif 01:37, 7 July 2007 (UTC)
Woo! I'm a ghost! LordBiro 05:58, 7 July 2007 (UTC)
Stop being a ghost and come on MSN! - BeX iawtc 05:59, 7 July 2007 (UTC)
Give me a chance :P It's 06:59 AM here! LordBiro 06:00, 7 July 2007 (UTC)

![edit]

Biro-iro-iro-iro-iro-iro-iro..... - BeX iawtc 03:57, 8 July 2007 (UTC)

o.0 --Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 04:23, 8 July 2007 (UTC)
Echo? --Xeeron 09:59, 8 July 2007 (UTC)

temp protection?[edit]

On the noticeboard, you inquired as to whether we had a temp-protection template - did you have anything in particular in mind? I wouldn't mind doing some template creation if it seems like it'd be useful. Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 22:00, 11 July 2007 (UTC)

I think something along the lines of "This article has been temporarily locked due to vandalism." I'm not really sure of the details, hehe :) But I think that would be better than the current template. LordBiro 22:02, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
I agree that we also need a temp protection template, but the permanent protection template is also needed for most of the pages that we have currently protected. -- Gem (gem / talk) 22:05, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
Actually, how about an optional parameter '|temp' to the current template which modifies the protection template text a bit? -- Gem (gem / talk) 22:07, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
It's possible, but at least in the mean time, what are your thoughts on User:Aiiane/Sandbox? Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 22:17, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
I like. MisterPepe talk 22:19, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
I would favour separate templates since they have different purposes, and I think that example in your sandbox is great, Aiiane! LordBiro 22:20, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
Alright, going to implement it - but one potential thing, should we also create a separate category (probably subcategory) for temporarily protected pages, to allow for easy review? Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 22:37, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
Yes. -- Gem (gem / talk) 23:02, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
Done. Template:Temp protected --> Category:Temporarily protected pages Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 23:16, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
Looks good, should do the job nicely. --Lemming64 01:31, 12 July 2007 (UTC)

Want you to get in on the Charr Doodoo[edit]

Hey, I have started a riot, demonstrationn and ended it with civil disobedience. The diatribe is going on in the Charr Doodoo factory. Chime in when you get a chance. I'd like to hear your thoughts before we get from one extreme to another without rational thought. --Karlos 12:10, 13 July 2007 (UTC)

Note: I've posted my thoughts on that page. While I have no objection to changing the policy, I do object to any user choosing openly defy site policy just to make a point. Changes should be made through discussion, not through so-called "civil disobedience". My understanding is that sysops can not, technically, ban other sysops (can someone confirm this?) As a result, I urge the bureaucrats to treat this as this wiki's first requirement for an arbitration committee to resolve. --- Barek (talkcontribs) - 15:06, 13 July 2007 (UTC)
Sysops actually can block other sysops. I just looked it up =P MisterPepe talk 18:08, 13 July 2007 (UTC)
I'll have a read through and post my thoughts. LordBiro 19:15, 13 July 2007 (UTC)
I've emailed you (LordBiro) on this. --Rezyk 19:29, 13 July 2007 (UTC)
I've been reading through events, but unfortunately it's quite late here and I will be away from the wiki for the most part of tomorrow due to real-life circumstances. I'll keep you updated and post as soon as possible. LordBiro 22:17, 13 July 2007 (UTC)

I'd like to put myself up for reconfirmation seeing as to the number of people who believe I have failed my position. However, I do not want this to be seen as some ploy by myself to circumvent any punitive action ArbComm was going to take (let's say you guys were going to strip me of my adminship to begin with), so, I want to check with you guys first... Is it ok if I put myself up for reconfirmation? --Karlos 20:30, 14 July 2007 (UTC)

I realise that similar comments have been placed elsewhere on the wiki, but I think it is perfectly acceptable for you to apply for reconfirmation. LordBiro 10:32, 15 July 2007 (UTC)

Nudge[edit]

/Nudge LordBiro -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 19:18, 13 July 2007 (UTC)

Thank you LB! -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 19:26, 13 July 2007 (UTC)
No problem. LordBiro 19:28, 13 July 2007 (UTC)

Random[edit]

:D It's funny how everyone says that it's good for me and the community and then they appologise on the next line. :D Don't appologise or regret the vote, you can like me even if I'm not a sysop anymore. :P -- Gem (gem / talk) 10:11, 15 July 2007 (UTC) (Btw, going to play some DnD for the first time in 6 months) :)

Well, I do regret the events that have transpired; I wouldn't regret them so much if you weren't such a nice guy! I wish that I had acted differently, and I'm sure that other people feel the same. LordBiro 10:18, 15 July 2007 (UTC)

Bad timing[edit]

Missed you again. :P I was playing UT2k4. Will be out tomorrow but hopefully I'll see you online again soon! - BeX iawtc 13:00, 15 July 2007 (UTC)

ooo ... another UT2k4 player. I miss being in those ladders. I tried playing it again last month - I suck at it now! lol. --- Barek (talkcontribs) - 14:19, 15 July 2007 (UTC)
I enjoyed UT2k3/4... I always liked the UT line, it seemed the most interesting of the sci-fi FPSs. Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 14:27, 15 July 2007 (UTC)
It has some cool mods too, Alien Swarm was good fun. --Xasxas256 15:00, 15 July 2007 (UTC)
Alien Swarm was where I met my SO! :) Loved that mod! Wasn't as impressed by the second campaign they released, and I don't know what's happening with it currently (is it on Steam yet? I think Valve bought it). At the moment I'm playing RPG invasion (again but this time on an Australian server). Kind of getting bored already. :P - BeX iawtc 15:03, 15 July 2007 (UTC)
Annoying Assault and Onslaught maps FTW!, what was the name of the onslaught map with the huge tower in the middle? ~ KurdKurdsig.png 15:04, 15 July 2007 (UTC)
ONS-Torlan (Google is my friend <3) Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 15:20, 15 July 2007 (UTC)
The original UT assault maps were pretty cool. Didn't really like the vehicles to be honest. --Xasxas256 15:06, 15 July 2007 (UTC)
I remember: ONS-Torlan!!, was my favorite map. Vehicles were fun until the expansion came with the ridiculously powerful vehicles ~ KurdKurdsig.png 15:10, 15 July 2007 (UTC)
I originally got hooked with the original. Never played2k3, joined a UT2K4 clan that later became the GW guild that I'm in. Still miss the Ripper from the original, wish that had made it into 2K4. The vehicles in 2K4 were good until the expansion - those really unbalanced things. --- Barek (talkcontribs) - 15:16, 15 July 2007 (UTC)

Can you please weigh in on...[edit]

...this here little discussion. I'd like you to specifically comment on the issue of the skill box issue and whether or not I had any influence in eventually changing the mindset towards that hidious thing after all those months. I know that both you and Fyren were big fans of it early on, and it was mainly my efforts on GWiki that raised awareness to it's hostility towards average users. Xeeron makes it sound like I am highly delusional (quite possible) and I'd like your input on this. Thanks. --Karlos 22:38, 16 July 2007 (UTC)

Hey Karlos, I don't know how but you always seem to catch me as I'm about to go to bed. I will have a look in the morning, but as is often the case I suspect the situation will have developed by then :P But I will say this; I don't remember. I'm not sure if you are confusing me with someone else, but I don't think I was ever a strong "advocate" for the template system on GuildWiki; rather I tolerated it because it had already been implemented and it worked, even if it was confusing. I may be wrong, if you can find any conversations to remind me I would be extremely grateful.
I also don't recall any specific campaign by you on the GuildWiki against the templates, but it is quite late here so that might be way I can't remember ;) Even so, I am quite sure that I had concerns about usability from the start; it may be that you influenced others who then influenced me. I had a conversation with Fyren before GWW's inception in which he expressed his interest in re-inventing the system which may have contributed to my opinions. LordBiro 23:12, 16 July 2007 (UTC)
Well, I found this ,this and this if that helps any. --Karlos 10:29, 17 July 2007 (UTC)
You may have missed that I already posted something similar on the RfA talk page. LordBiro 10:30, 17 July 2007 (UTC)
Indeed I missed it. Thanks. --Karlos 11:22, 17 July 2007 (UTC)

Wiki-code problem[edit]

Could you perhaps have a look at User:CoRrRan/DPLSandbox and help me out how to prevent the "|"-characters used with the {{gr}}-template from making my QRF-list become fugly? -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 17:34, 17 July 2007 (UTC)

I guess you don't know how to solve this one either LordBiro? I've also made a comment on the wiki of the author of DPL here, and I hope he'll be able to respond to me quickly. Since you are quite experienced with wiki-code, I thought I might ask you too. But no worries if you don't have the time. -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 17:25, 24 July 2007 (UTC)
Sorry, CoRrRan, it was rude of me not to reply; I intended to take a look and reply there, but I got distracted. I'm afraid I don't have any ideas! It seems that the pipe character simply cannot be used in included text, which if true is severely limiting. I hope we hear back from the developer soon! LordBiro 17:31, 24 July 2007 (UTC)
Have another look Biro! :) *does a happydance* -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 20:43, 24 July 2007 (UTC)
Great :) But why do you call the template Template:Skill infobox.Mesmer? The same template should work with other professions, or not? poke | talk 21:10, 24 July 2007 (UTC)
No, because I don't know how to get exclude certain parameters from certain template calls. Mesmer's have no use for adrenaline for example. But continue the discussion on the talkpage poke! -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 21:14, 24 July 2007 (UTC)
Sweet :D \o/ LordBiro 21:33, 24 July 2007 (UTC)

sysop guide[edit]

Some people have started working on this, thought I'd leave you a note as you may find it useful, or may want to make some changes. --Xasxas256 04:34, 19 July 2007 (UTC)

Thanks, Xas, I was aware of it :) LordBiro 18:12, 19 July 2007 (UTC)

Request for Page Review[edit]

Can you tell me how a wiki member requests a review of another member's talk page? There is content currently on a member's page that I feel is personal harassment of another member, and I'd like to ask for administrative review. However, I cannot find where there is a process for that. Thanks for the info. --Gaile User gaile 2.png 16:02, 24 July 2007 (UTC)

If you think that there is a violation of GWW:NPA then I would recommend looking through the options at GWW:NPA#Responding_to_personal_attacks. If you would prefer to bring this to our admins' attention immediately then I would recommend posting it as a new topic on Guild Wars Wiki:Admin noticeboard. If you don't think any of these actions are appropriate then let me know and I will try to help further :) LordBiro 17:20, 24 July 2007 (UTC)

Common.css[edit]

Hi Biro, could you please comment on my small request for common.css? Thanks! poke | talk 19:44, 24 July 2007 (UTC)

Done :) LordBiro 21:33, 24 July 2007 (UTC)

Archiving[edit]

Think it's about that time?--19px Big Hank (talk · contributions) 21:38, 24 July 2007 (UTC)

I do! LordBiro 21:48, 24 July 2007 (UTC)
At the rate you're going, in a few months you might have to archive your archive-box. o.0 Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 03:23, 25 July 2007 (UTC)
Hehe, you're right... maybe my archive system wasn't the best idea? :) LordBiro 06:39, 25 July 2007 (UTC)
You should see mine. :( - BeX iawtc 07:20, 25 July 2007 (UTC)

Wiki Tango-age[edit]

Since you're "the icon guy" around here, I thought you might want to take a look at this? Thanks! --Santax (talk · contribs) 09:49, 25 July 2007 (UTC)

Quick reference lists[edit]

Hey LordBiro, since I have no idea who else to ask, here goes: We're going to need icons for Lead Attack required, Off Hand Attack required, Dual Attack required, Hexes required and Enchantments required for the Assassin QRF pages. Do you have time, or should I try to find some other icon artist? (Perhaps anyone with decent icon creation capabilities and watching this page might help.) -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 15:55, 26 July 2007 (UTC)

Couldn't you use the ones that appear on the healthbar for the first three? Backsword 16:10, 26 July 2007 (UTC)
Before anyone starts making icons: How do you find out if a skill needs something of that without modifying the Skill template? poke | talk 16:24, 26 July 2007 (UTC)
I'd be happy to work on some icons, I'll work on a draft tonight. I am also interested to know more regarding Poke's question. How is this info stored? LordBiro 18:42, 26 July 2007 (UTC)
This is one of the things that will have to be incorporated into the skill infobox template. I'm a big supporter of having that template store as much information regarding skills as possible. (As was once suggested by Cloud here.) If that gains too much opposition, we'll have to get that information somehow from the skill page itself, or by manually adding a Category:Require Lead Attack skills on the skill's page or something. -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 06:10, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
I quite liked Cloud's suggestion, even though I think it was a bit OTT. LordBiro 06:17, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
Well, I think there might be a bit too many parameters, I agree. (Or isn't OTT meaning "Over The Top"?) -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 06:38, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
Sorry, yes, OTT means over the top :) LordBiro 06:45, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
What about adding a template {{DPL info}} which does not return any content but can store additional information about something? poke | talk 12:24, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
Ok, tested it here with this skill. It works and is maybe clearer than putting everything into the skill infobox. poke | talk 12:40, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
Would different versions be needed for other things than skills?Backsword

Also, noticed that the wording in skill descriptions is consistant, so perhaps the information can be extracted automaticly. Backsword 12:46, 27 July 2007 (UTC)

I like that suggestion poke! -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 14:02, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
I would actually prefer to use un-handled parameters on the skill infobox, personally. What if we want to make use of "requires-off-hand" in the future? LordBiro 18:28, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
What use do you foresee in that then? I don't really mind either way, but having a separate template might keep the {{skill infobox}} clean. I think I don't really care where we are going to put the information, as long as we get them into a template so that the lists can be generated quickly. -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 19:26, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
I won't lose any sleep if a new template is created :) But I don't feel it is necessary. I would rather say
{{skill-infobox
|...
|random-unused-variable = rubbish
}}
than
{{skill-infobox
|...
}}
{{dpl-info
|random-unused-variable = rubbish
}}
As you can see, the first is much cleaner than the second, and less code even if you consider that the dpl template will be at the bottom of the article. LordBiro 19:31, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
What if we compromise, and add a guideline to {{skill infobox}} that states that throwaway variables intended for dpl use should be prefixed with "dpl-"? I.e. "dpl-requires-offhand = y". Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 20:03, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
Fine with me. I guess that'll work. Otherwise we could also just use a comment marker like <!-- -->, but dpl-xxx is fine too. Although some variables might get a little long on length. -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 20:29, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
I don't think the prefix is necessary, and I think it limits our choices if we want to use it in the future. I.e. categorise based on what a skill requires. I'm not fussed really, I just don't think adding dpl is a compromise exactly, since it is just as useless in this regard as having a separate, empty template. But as I say, I don't object to any suggestions so far. LordBiro 20:41, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
As I understand it, as these variables may be used for more than DPL, you want them to have 'normal' names, and stay in the infobox? If so, I agree. We're still talking optional and non visable tho'? Backsword 22:30, 27 July 2007 (UTC)
Yes, that is my thinking. LordBiro 22:52, 27 July 2007 (UTC)

RFA[edit]

Hey, do you think you could set me up an RFA? --20pxRein Of Terror (talk · contributions) 22:11, 30 July 2007 (UTC)

You can do it yourself - the instructions are on the GWW:RFA page. If you're not sure about them, feel free to ask a more specific question here or on my page as well. Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 22:12, 30 July 2007 (UTC)
Ok, thanks. --20pxRein Of Terror (talk · contributions) 22:12, 30 July 2007 (UTC)
Once you've read the instructions you can shortcut most of them by using this handy form that Rezyk provided. LordBiro 22:13, 30 July 2007 (UTC)
Rein, you can't start a RFA for yourself for two more weeks. According to the policy, at least a month needs to pass between the closing of an unsuccessful RFA and a new one being started. The last one was closed on July 12th, so you can't start a new one till August 12th. --Dirigible 22:16, 30 July 2007 (UTC)
Ok, thanks. --20pxRein Of Terror (talk · contributions) 22:26, 30 July 2007 (UTC)

Asking again...[edit]

Since you did not respond to that particular question on my talk page, I'm hoping to bring it to your attention here. Why would you have voted opposed to my adminship? When did you develop that mindset and why did you never discuss it with me? --Karlos 23:24, 2 August 2007 (UTC)

Hi Karlos. I have, in the past, had a great deal of respect for you and even quite recently there have been actions that you have carried out that I have admired. I have expressed my praise for you in private on numerous occasions, especially regarding the removal of the notice on the main page.
Over the last few months my opinions have changed. While I always understood that you were blunt you now come across as being overly-sensitive in discussions, verging on paranoid. You come across in many of your posts as self-aggrandizing, talking about how no one understands PvE as well as you do; how you were the first to do this or the first to do that (often with varying levels of accuracy — "Everyone was happy with this idea at first, except for one guy... Me."). I don't doubt that you believe that you are correct but this is not the kind of mindset that I find acceptable in a sysop. On top of this you are stubborn and hostile. You claim that there is corruption throughout the wiki, which I disagree with strongly.
When you told Aiiane to "Never, ever, tell a regular user to take the higher ground vs a Bureaucrat. That's just wrong. It's like telling a citizen who was subject to abuse of power by a government official that he should take the higher ground." I was shocked — haven't you ever heard of Ghandi? And can you really compare a wiki to a corrupt government? I just find the whole thing ludicrous and I have no time for it. I hope that your attitude changes. LordBiro 08:49, 5 August 2007 (UTC)

GW:EN icons[edit]

Were gonna need new background icon's for skill like Light of Deldrimor when GW:EN comest. I hate to see a monster skill image on it. ~ KurdUser Kurd sig.png 23:56, 3 August 2007 (UTC)

Whats wrong with the circle like Sunspear Rebirth Signet? --LemmingUser Lemming64 sigicon.png 00:10, 4 August 2007 (UTC)
Its booooooooooring and dull. Were gonna have 50-PvE only skills, probably multiple from every race. So we need new icons ~ KurdUser Kurd sig.png 08:58, 4 August 2007 (UTC)
I'd say we can wait until we know how these skills will be organised. Maybe they are grouped in nice ways in the game so we can make icons relating to that group (for example, norn and dwarf skills, as you mentioned). - anja talk 12:00, 4 August 2007 (UTC)
I'd guess that a large chunk of them are Polymock skills. Backsword 22:40, 6 August 2007 (UTC)

Florence?[edit]

Just had to drop that into the convo, eh? I mean, you could have at least lied and said you were taking a week in... I don't know... Birmingham or something! But no, "full disclosure" requires that you mention the whole Florentine thing. ;) Seriously, though, I hope you have a great time, and do be sure to see every single piece of Renaissance art you can. Dang, that Michelangelo guy rules! --Gaile User gaile 2.png 17:49, 5 August 2007 (UTC)

His other three turtle friends are pretty cool too ^_^ --SnogratUser Snograt signature.png 18:07, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
Totally! (Although I think Master Splinter is the more interesting.) Hey, did you know that the TMNT org is trying to raise interest and support for sea turtles? Very cool! --Gaile User gaile 2.png 18:15, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
I wasn't intending to make you jealous, Gaile, but I am secretly a little glad that I have ;) hehehe. We are going to try and see David tomorrow! LordBiro 08:12, 6 August 2007 (UTC)
Ooh, nice! Are you going to see the Basilica? Lucky pup -- enjoy! --Gaile User gaile 2.png 15:45, 6 August 2007 (UTC)
"Dang, that Michelangelo guy rules! --Gaile " ooookiiiedokiiie then.. :) --LemmingUser Lemming64 sigicon.png 22:38, 6 August 2007 (UTC)
I went to see David today. Unfortunately you are not allowed to take pictures in the gallery. I am especially sorry to Scourge who I hear was quite looking forward to this! LordBiro 21:49, 7 August 2007 (UTC)
I was :) Good to hear you're having fun -- Scourge User Scourge Spade.gif 23:50, 7 August 2007 (UTC)

Kurzick/Luxon icons[edit]

Hiya, I've uploaded this and this as icons for use in userboxes and around the wiki, but as cropped versions of the textures ripped from Gw.dat, they aren't that good. I was wondering if you could make some proper icons to replace them maybe when you get back from Florence? Thanks! --Santax (talk · contribs) 14:47, 11 August 2007 (UTC)

As I also wrote here, do we really need icons for that? We already have icons for the templates: Image:Faction (Kurzick).jpg and Image:Faction (Luxon).jpg. poke | talk 17:04, 11 August 2007 (UTC)
Most of the time, userbox icons are 40x40px, and the quality of those other icons isn't too great either. --Santax (talk · contribs) 17:16, 11 August 2007 (UTC)
I'd rather have Tango-style icons for Kurzick and Luxon available than not. I like the Tango theming style, and much prefer seeing those icons over ones straight out of the game. Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 18:53, 11 August 2007 (UTC)

New icons![edit]

I've just uploaded all of the tango icons. The next step will be to alter the profession templates. Some people have expressed interest in keeping the old icons around, so I think that the best option will be to allow for a parameter that can be set to allow the old icon. BeX suggested something like "old=true" which is fine by me. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, check out the gallery:

Implementation[edit]

I'd like to see something like {{mo|old}} but I don't know how it would work with {{mo|big}} etc. :) - BeX iawtc 21:33, 29 August 2007 (UTC)
{{mo|l}}, {{mo|xl}}, {{mo|old}}, {{mo|old-l}} ? Btw. great work :) poke | talk 21:43, 29 August 2007 (UTC)
Love them, of course. And I think both suggestions about template functionality would work. - anja talk 21:55, 29 August 2007 (UTC)
I've made User:LordBiro/Mo, feel free to play with it, it works like this: Monk-tango-icon-20.pngMonk-tango-icon-20.png LordBiro 22:43, 29 August 2007 (UTC)
ooo excellent ... I've been looking forward to these ... can't wait! The templates could even carry two variables, "generation" and size, though that would be a little more complicated to implement. -- pullus Sig talk 01:17, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
Too bad mesmers can't have the monster icon. Then they could be cool, like the rest of the cool kids. Readem Sorry, I'll stop trolling now. 01:19, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
I've made an example template at User:Rezyk/Sandbox. --Rezyk 02:14, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
I've edited Biro's test User:LordBiro/Mo to include "huge". The "big" should really need to be changed because there are pages that are currently using it and those will be affected if we remove "big". I've also wrapped an "if" around the "switch". Does it help? Since the majority of usage will be with no parameters. -- ab.er.rant sig 02:38, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
It occurred to me that all the profession templates use the same code, really, so I moved the logic into User:LordBiro/Profession_icon which User:LordBiro/Mo now makes use of.
Rezyk, I think that template is overly complex. I know using parameters like "old" isn't good parameter use (and I'm perhaps being a little hypocritical here) but I do think that it makes it much easier to understand when there are only two "generations" to choose from.
I don't know whether an if statement increases efficiency or not, but the templates should be cached anyway (I believe) so I think unless we find out for certain that it does improve efficiency then it's best to keep our code clean and understandable, and I think having an if around the switch makes it a little less clean.
I copied all of your options into the profession icon template Aberrant. Does that look correct? Would it work with "big"? LordBiro 06:55, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
Okay. I have another suggestion: merge the "old" specifier into the template name rather than the size parameter, i.e. {{mo}}, {{mo|big}}, {{mo-old}}, {{mo-old|big}}. --Rezyk 07:27, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
Do you think that is an improvement? I'm not sure if I do or not... I mean, it does remove the value "old" from the template, but the reason that I have a problem with the word "old" is because what if there are 3 generations of icon? By using mo-old we face the same problem, don't we?
I think at this point I would prefer to keep it simple and just have "old" as a value passed to {{mo}}. LordBiro 07:45, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
My first suggestion was trying to avoid the problems of "old", but this second suggestion is just trying to avoid merged parameters like "old-big", which I feel is clunkier for both the user and future template code upgrades. --Rezyk 08:02, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
Ok, I will accept that :) I'm happy for {{mo}} and {{mo-old}} to be the standard, unless someone can think of a descriptive name for the old icons other than "old". LordBiro 16:09, 30 August 2007 (UTC)

(Reset indent) Well if these one's are tango was there a style for the "old" ones? --LemmingUser Lemming64 sigicon.png 18:03, 30 August 2007 (UTC)

Rumba.  :P --Rainith 18:52, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
Biro2005? --Rezyk 19:07, 30 August 2007 (UTC)

No more comments on the {{mo}} and {{mo-old}}? imho, it's better to have one template than two. So I'm re-suggesting Rezyk's idea to use a parameter to decide on old or new. Something like {{mo|big}} and {{mo|big|version=1}}, where version=1 is old, and the new version (default) is 2. Any future versions can just increment the number by one. How's that sound? -- ab.er.rant sig 02:17, 7 September 2007 (UTC)

Yeah, but then please v instead of version :P poke | talk 08:04, 7 September 2007 (UTC)
Does it need to be v=1? Can't we just say |v1 and it can figure out what to do from that? - BeX iawtc 08:53, 7 September 2007 (UTC)
We can also use {{mo}} and {{mo|(size)}} and {{mo|(size)|(version)}} (with needed size) for other versions.. So for example {{mo|small|1}}.. poke | talk 13:30, 7 September 2007 (UTC)
I dont mind using 1 but I think v1 or mk1 are more descriptive. :) - BeX iawtc 03:55, 8 September 2007 (UTC)
"version = 1 > v1 > 1" :p -- ab.er.rant sig 06:51, 8 September 2007 (UTC)
Using the full word is unecessarily long for such a small template. v1 is clear and descriptive enough while also being nice and short. - BeX iawtc 07:08, 8 September 2007 (UTC)
As far as making things less complicated goes, I think using {{mo-v1}} might make sense. Does anyone consider that a possibility? LordBiro 08:43, 8 September 2007 (UTC)
If you mean less complicated template code, then yea, I suppose you're right. Why not {{mo v1}} (no hyphen.. :P doesn't matter, go with whichever seems the norm around here). We just need to clearly link {{mo}} and {{mo-v1}} together. -- ab.er.rant sig 03:06, 10 September 2007 (UTC)

Icon design[edit]

I've missed part of the discussions, so just curious (sorry if this is a recap for others) ... is the layout difference between the small and mid/large for the assassin (ie: two blades vs three blades) intentional, or an oversight? I remember the three blade look was once called very snowflake like ... was it decided that was only an issue for the small variant? --- Barek (talkcontribs) - 21:06, 30 August 2007 (UTC)

It is intentional; personally I think 3 blades looks better, and I think at the regular size there is a clear distinction between the three blades, but this was unattainable within a 20px box so I decided to scrap it and go for just two blades.
Why do you ask, Barek? Do you not like the 2 bladed icon, or do you dislike the 3 bladed? Or is it just that they are different to each other? LordBiro 21:16, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
(edit conflict) Just compare: Assassin-tango-icon-48.png Assassin-tango-icon-20.png poke | talk 21:18, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
I suppose that I slightly prefer the two blades, but I don't feel strongly about it. My main question wasn't to do with why the small size was changed - I agree that it's more easilly identifiable at that resolution with two blades. My main issue was with the inconsistency between the small vs mid/large size. I prefer consistency.
But, I don't see this as a show-stopper type issue ... and like I said, I don't feel strongly enough about my preference for two blades, so I'm not going to press for it in the mid/large size. Was mainly just curious for the reason. --- Barek (talkcontribs) - 23:21, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
Oh, another question ... no small size available for the "any" and "monster" icons? --- Barek (talkcontribs) - 23:25, 30 August 2007 (UTC)
I personally prefer the 3 blades, and BeX cried when I said I couldn't get the 3 blades into the small icon, but I understand your point. It's necessary to remake every icon for different sizes, since you cannot scale something that looks good at 48px to 20px without losing some detail. I think this is the best option at present, but if there is consensus that both icons should look the same I'm willing to produce something.
There is no small any icon, and this is a bit of an oversight on my part, but I'm not going to attempt to produce a small monster icon since it is very detailed and scaling it will (again) mean doing it from scratch at 20px and I can't be bothered just yet :P LordBiro 06:21, 31 August 2007 (UTC)
I did not cry! >_> I can try do a monster icon but it will be CRAP and you will be really happy when Biro finally replaces it. - BeX iawtc 07:41, 31 August 2007 (UTC)

Monster icon[edit]

Can you tell I don't know what I'm doing..? >_> Monster-tango-icon-20-v1.png - BeX iawtc 09:06, 31 August 2007 (UTC)

I have to say that, the monster icon is the coolest icon ever, lol, awesome work BeX! :) LordBiro 19:04, 31 August 2007 (UTC)
The colours are a tiny bit off and the outside shading is wrong, but I can send you the psd to fix. Just talk to me when you're on msn next. :P - BeX iawtc 05:12, 1 September 2007 (UTC)
Old vs. new: Monster-tango-icon-20-v1.pngMonster-tango-icon-20.png. I changed the saturation a little and tried to correct the shading on it. I think it looks softer but better than the shading before. (It might take a while for the cache to refresh). - BeX iawtc 03:29, 4 September 2007 (UTC)

Skill point icon[edit]

This one was probably around 1000 times lazier Skill-point-tango-icon-20.png (possibly more). I tried to be careful with the licensing. <_< You can replace it when you have time. :P - BeX iawtc 09:48, 31 August 2007 (UTC)

Mesmer icon[edit]

While I like these icon's in general, especially the larger ones, I'm unhappy with the switch from the Eye of Providence to the Hamsa for Mesmers. Both as general symbology, and because as a protective icon, the Hamsa is already in use by Monks, see Mark of Protection.

Backsword
The in game mesmer icon is a hand with an eye. :P - BeX iawtc 11:55, 1 September 2007 (UTC)
I have the game, you know... Backsword 11:57, 1 September 2007 (UTC)
orly? - BeX iawtc 11:59, 1 September 2007 (UTC)
The icon used in-game for the mesmer is a hand with an eye in the palm. The eye of providence was used in the European manual but it has not been used in the game to represent mesmers as far as I am aware. Many people expressed their preference for the Hasma. I'm not sure what the best location would be to discuss your preference (perhaps someone will recommend somewhere else) but Guild_Wars_Wiki_talk:Formatting/Profession_colors might be a start. LordBiro 12:02, 1 September 2007 (UTC)

License[edit]

I showed your new professions icon over at the french GuildWars Wikia and i think they will get accepted. Since Wikia is under GFDL, your previous set of icons was used (with some that i made myself). But we too have been "criticised" for using your previous icons. And though i like them a lot, i've proposed to add the new ones on the french wikia.

But, i saw that there is some icons here that do not seem to have a specific liscense. I'm talking about thoses ones : Tango-energy.png Tango-recharge.png Tango-activation.png Tango-upkeep.png Tango-sacrifice.png Tango-adrenaline.png File:Tango-exhaustion.png. What is the license of thoses ? Can we use them too ?

Thanks. — TůζipVõrζąx Talk 02:44, 2 September 2007 (UTC)

Salut, TulipVorlax! All of my contributions are released under the GFDL 2.1 1.2 and higher, and also under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike-NonCommercial license (just in case GuildWiki wants to use anything).
You are free to use all of the icons under the GFDL :) LordBiro 08:45, 2 September 2007 (UTC)

White Space[edit]

Hi Biro, just a little note, I have noticed the new icons are cut very close to the edge with little white space, whereas the olds ones had a small border. The result is when they were switched they get a bit too close to text than before. We could of course go around spacing them all out, but I think it makes more sense just to add some white space around the outside.

Examples with no space between the icon and the text:
  • Rangerranger
  • Ranger-icon-small.pngranger

See what I mean? --LemmingUser Lemming64 sigicon.png 13:05, 2 September 2007 (UTC)

I agree that the text is very close to the icon, but I don't agree with altering the images. Adding a space is, in my opinion, the correct solution. It might not be the simplest solution, but if we take the Paragon icon as an example:
  • ParagonParagon
  • Paragon-icon-small.pngParagon
You can see the Paragon icon is very close to the text in both examples. In my opinion there should have been spaces between the icons to begin with:
  • Paragon Paragon
  • Paragon-icon-small.png Paragon
I don't think altering the images is a great idea; if we make them 22x20 then there will be a 1 pixel gap but hardly anyone will notice that. We would need to increase it to about 25x20 or 26x20 to get the same result. LordBiro 13:17, 2 September 2007 (UTC)
Yes I see what you mean. Ok I will change a couple of other templates :) --LemmingUser Lemming64 sigicon.png 19:35, 2 September 2007 (UTC)

:([edit]

I was awake, just tidying stuff up. :( - BeX iawtc 06:21, 4 September 2007 (UTC)

Hehe, don't worry about it, I didn't have anything important to say :) just that I like your new monster icon! LordBiro 06:58, 4 September 2007 (UTC)

Permission to Use Profession Icons[edit]

Hey LordBiro, I'm making a program and thought that the profession icons that you created looked beautiful. I'm wondering if I could use them in my program? I would give you full credit for the icons, of course :) .--Zakek xek 02:01, 8 September 2007 (UTC)

Mentioned earlier on this page, LordBiro has released the icons under both the GFDL license and the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike-NonCommercial license. (See the "License" subheading under the New Icons! section above.) Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 03:05, 8 September 2007 (UTC)

User Image File Size Restrictions[edit]

It says to avoid using images over 150 KB. Currently, I'm interpreting that as a suggestion, since I'd expect don't there if it were a hard limit. Most of my character's images (not yet uploaded here) are under that, but the largest one does hit 189 or so KB. Are the ones over the limit likely to get deleted, or would they be allowed?

I'd have to disagree with the statement of .jpg doing justice for the screenshot quality, when I intentionally want to focus on the character detail. If I had a program to save better quality .jpgs, it'd be different. The images are currently in .png format. ~ File:GeckoSprite.gif Pae 03:51, 14 September 2007 (UTC)

If you'd like, Pae, I'd be willing to see what I could do to reduce the image size while preserving the quality, and re-upload new versions of them (I have access to a number of image editing tools). Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 04:57, 14 September 2007 (UTC)
User images over the filesize limit could be deleted at a sysop's discretion.
PNGs are not ideal for large photograph-style images. Even though PNGs are great they are lossless, and on photographic images some loss of quality is possible, greatly decreasing the filesize without noticeably altering the picture. Even forgetting the 150kb limit, I would recommend against uploading character screenshots as PNG; to me it seems unnecessary. I would take Aiiane up on her offer :) LordBiro 05:34, 14 September 2007 (UTC)
iawatc - BeX iawtc 05:44, 14 September 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for the fast response. ~ File:GeckoSprite.gif Pae 08:11, 14 September 2007 (UTC)
Unless you want a transparent background which jpg's don't do :( --LemmingUser Lemming64 sigicon.png 08:51, 14 September 2007 (UTC)

ArbComm request board[edit]

I've written up a draft at Guild Wars Wiki:Arbitration committee/Requests, and I'd appreciate some input. -- Gordon Ecker 07:05, 20 September 2007 (UTC)

I would appreciate your feedback[edit]

Hi Biro. As you probably have noticed I have started an RfA for myself recently. I know you probably have a good reason for not having done so yet, but I would very much appreciate your feedback on the RfA (some thoughts on the talk page or a vote or both). Someone might think that I'm stupid when asking this from someone who opposed me on the reconfirmation, but the outcome of this RfA isn't as important to me as the feedback from users who I appreciate. Ofcourse if you don't want to, it's ok. -- Gem (gem / talk) 00:23, 24 September 2007 (UTC)

Thank you very much! -- Gem (gem / talk) 17:48, 25 September 2007 (UTC)

Skulds arbcom request[edit]

Skulds arbcom request has been sitting there for a week now. I feel that we should try our very best to answer and resolve arbcom requests quickly. Up till now I had hoped for Dirigible to write a first draft (since he seemed to be most closely related), but he has changed to decline. First, I feel that we need to make clear whether "decline" towards the request for arbitration also means that the declining arbcom member will not take part in any ensueing arbitration, should he be in the minority. In my opinion, this should not be automatically so, yet you set a precident by not participating in Karlos arbitration. However I feel that the decision not to participate in arbitration should be separate from the decision to accept a case.

Second, we should start doing something about Skulds arbitration. Unless one of us changed his decision to decline, the case needs to be heard. For example, we could demand statements from both parties. Just lets not sit this out doing nothing. So an answer by Diribible whether he wants to participate would be nice, as would be a word by you regarding this issue. --Xeeron 09:08, 27 September 2007 (UTC)

One way of separating labels for those would be to use decline for expressing a desire for ArbComm to decline a case (but still participating if accepted), while recuse is for declining to participate. (And we may want to set up guidelines for when recuse is appropriate) --Rezyk 12:33, 27 September 2007 (UTC)
There might be other reasons why you decline both, even when not being recused, but you are right, having two words to distinguish the cases would be good. --Xeeron 12:37, 27 September 2007 (UTC)
I agree that it should not necessarily follow that just because a bureaucrat opposes arbitration he should not be allowed to participate in the arbitration. I think it makes a lot of sense to have two stages, acceptance of arbitration and then deliberation, or some other term, and a bureaucrat can choose to abstain from either or both if he wishes.
Regarding Skuld's arbitration I agree something should be done, it's been waiting around for a while now. I am not planning on changing my decision on this matter. Personally I thought Dirigible's suggestion of appointing some sort of "mentor" was an acceptable arbcom decision, but he seems to think otherwise. LordBiro 16:09, 27 September 2007 (UTC)
My "Decline" simply meant that I don't think the case should be an ArbComm matter, I have no reason why not to partecipate in the arbitration. Also, I don't think that the "mentor" idea would be unacceptable as an ArbComm decision, just that it's inferior to what it'd be as a non-ArbComm decision. :) Now that the case is accepted, I have no problem with us going down that route if everyone involved agrees with it.
As for statements, instead of asking them from "both parties", maybe it'd be better to ask for comments from anyone who's interested in doing so. That both avoids the issue of figuring out who the parties are (is Aiiane supposed to be one of them?), and avoids polarizing the opinions into two camps. Lets set X amount of days for anyone who may want to comment on the case to do so, and then we can go on with our statements and the discussion between us and try to reach a decision. How does that sound? --Dirigible 22:03, 27 September 2007 (UTC)
That sounds fine to me! :) I think I may have misunderstood your position until now, Dirigible. LordBiro 22:11, 27 September 2007 (UTC)
3 days for statements on this? --Xeeron 22:56, 27 September 2007 (UTC)
3 days is ok by me, but I think we should use the term "comments" or something similar. LordBiro 15:02, 28 September 2007 (UTC)

FF8[edit]

Gasp! You didn't enjoy FF8?! But.. but... why?! It was my fav of the series. But then again, I did start the FF8 series at VIII so naturally I'm biased towards it :D -- ab.er.rant sig 03:05, 30 September 2007 (UTC)

FF7 > * --LemmingUser Lemming64 sigicon.png 12:24, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
Link to the Past > * -- Scourge User Scourge Spade.gif 12:34, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
Zelda in general > * (no, not Anja's kitten :P) poke | talk 14:58, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
I have no respect for anyone who finds FF7 to be the best of the series. This usually means they started the series at FF7, and while, yes, it's an okay game taken by itself, it's certainly not great. First of all, the storyline makes no damned sense. "Hi, I'm Cloud, and I'm angsty. Oh, look, the ShinRa president was killed by Sephiroth. AVALANCHE, even though you're a terrorist organization built to destroy Mako reactors and save the planet's life energy, come with me instead to hunt down this guy from my past." Barret: "Well, I guess it makes more sense to do it that way."
Secondly, no, it didn't bring black characters into video games. It brought one stereotypical angry black guy into video games.
Third, the translation is so bad that you can't tell what the fuck is going on through half the game unless you ask a Japanese guy to explain it to you.
Fourth, the Materia system sucks. Because of it, all the characters are immediately generic and replaceable. The three characters you settle on in the end are generally based on the Limit breaks they have (hint: choose the only three with multi-hit limits).
Fifth, and by far the most important to me, is that it didn't need to be 3D. No, I'm not a crazy 2D zealot -- I think some 3D games are cool, namely Katamari Damacy and... uh... We <3 Katamari. The 3D in FF7 broke the game, though. When you have to add an option that shows you where you are on the screen, something's wrong. Movement was weird and uncomfortable -- for some reason, on every screen, up made you go sorta-up but always some nonsensical degree off so it's not quite up. Occasionally this would line up with the flow of the area, but it usually didn't. The 3D characters (when not in battle) looked like absolute garbage. They had, what, 12 polygons each? Giant balls for hands? Giant balls for heads? We saw more detailed characters in the SNES games "Ballz 3D"; at least those characters were made of more balls each than the FF7 crew.
Sixth, and finally, random battles sucked in that game. They were boring, they were slow, and there was no strategy or variety whatsoever. FFIV and FFVI had character differentiations, and FFIII and FFV had the job system, to make each battle require something other than tapping A whenever a menu popped up. You'd blitz, or use geomancy, or use a tool, or even just Aim with lowly Rosa. Even at bosses, the game doesn't offer much variety. Usually your spells aren't any stronger than your regular attacks, but if they are, everyone probably has the same sorts of spells (honestly, who in disc 1 doesn't give every character Bolt and Restore<=>All?), so you've altered the Menu->A->A pattern to Menu->Down->A->A. Even the venerable Final Fantasy I (not to mention every Dragon Quest game ever made) had better boss fights than this. They'd usually involve casting Fast and maybe Tmpr on your Fighter, and then dropping your high level magic of choice while your fighter rocks the enemy, your white mage tries (in vain) to prevent your black belt from dying, and you black belt sits there crying. Nobody ever sits there crying in FF7 -- not even when Aeris dies!
Oh, and summons? Since I had the time to do so, I ended up making a sandwich every time I cast one. I gained 40 pounds playing through FF7 the first time. That game made my mom cry. :(
Tanaric 19:50, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
lol, you had to make a nice fun argument into a proper discussion didn't you? Everyone knows FF6 is the best FF ever, anyway... LordBiro 20:06, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
Hehe, Tanaric 1 - Lemming 0. :P And even with my limited knowledge and experience on the FF series I can say that I agree with most of what Tanaric says. -- Gem (gem / talk) 20:34, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
+30 points for having the correct opinion. +75 points for an eloquent and reasonably thorough ripping into it. +20 bonus points for working in a mention of the Dragon Quest series. -5 points for taking Black Belt over Thief. 120 points: You are now eligible for Cookie(x3). You will be eligible for Internet once you have earned 880 more points. - Tanetris 21:09, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
Thief is only useful if you run away. :) —Tanaric 05:06, 3 October 2007 (UTC)
Would it be evil of me to say that thus far FF hasnt really grabbed me at all, i started at FF7 and to be honest i agree with everything Tanaric said. I've played every FF game since then just to see what the fuss is about and still none of them have made me think "OMG these are great" and to be honest I found FFX2 weird in the extreme, it was like playing barbie dress up for the entire game. Personally I'm much more of a suikoden kinda guy anyway. More storyline depth and the charecters actually have some differences with what they can do. Also Suikoden 1 rocked heartily with an amazingly tragic storyline. Personal 3 fave RPG's ever have to be Suikoden, Shining Force 2 and err.... maybe vandal hearts, still abit undecided about that one as i've played sooooo many RPG's now. -- Salome 10:48, 15 January 2008 (UTC)

icons... again[edit]

hi biro :) i was wondering whether you could make a bigger version of Image:monk-icon.png with a heigth of 55px for me. the smaller one looks crappy when streched (->User:Y0_ich_halt/PageNav) and i'm not xpd enough to do it with photoshop myself :) you can also tell me how to stretch it if you don't wanna do it. - Y0_ich_halt Have a look at my page 14:27, 12 October 2007 (UTC)

Super Mario Galaxy[edit]

My local game merchant was sold out. :( How much am I missing? —Tanaric 03:30, 19 November 2007 (UTC)

It scored 11/10 and is also considered one of the greatest games of all times. -- scourge 06:34, 19 November 2007 (UTC)
Well... I think it's more fun than Mario 64, but that could be just because it's new and shiny. There seems to be a huge amount to do, and even levels that you've played 3 or 4 times don't get old.
I didn't realise it had scored 11 out of 10! That's amazing! :D LordBiro 07:44, 19 November 2007 (UTC)
Get on IRC. !!! -- scourge 07:52, 19 November 2007 (UTC)
iawtc User BeXoR sad camel.gif - BeX iawtc 07:58, 19 November 2007 (UTC)
You guys are demanding :I LordBiro 08:31, 19 November 2007 (UTC)
The power of camel compels you. Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 08:40, 19 November 2007 (UTC)

Arbitration Raptors[edit]

Do you still need more time on this? There has been nothing new forthcomming, I have pretty much made up my mind about this case. If you have as well, we should move this forward. --Xeeron 12:43, 25 November 2007 (UTC)

I would have liked there to be more discussion on the matter, but we are running late on this, and I don't expect anyone to say anything more on the subject really, so yeah, let's go for it. LordBiro 12:59, 25 November 2007 (UTC)
I thought we were going to give Raptors a chance to reply in regards to that case? I didn't really think it was needed in the first place, but now that we started it, unblocking him and all, shouldn't we give him more time to figure out he's been unblocked and reply? Not that I think he will do so, but I'd rather not see the ArbComm make halfhearted decisions. If we thought that what he had to say was important enough to unblock him, then shouldn't it also be important enough for us to give him enough time to answer? --Dirigible 14:05, 25 November 2007 (UTC)
Unblocking was more a matter of principle for me, he already has posted on that talk page (via his sockpuppet), but I am ok with waiting some more. I just want to stop arbitration cases from dragging on needlessly every time. --Xeeron 14:56, 25 November 2007 (UTC)
That's fair enough Dir, but I also agree with Xeeron that this case has been going on a while. How about we set a date by which point, if Raptors has added nothing, we continue? LordBiro 15:50, 25 November 2007 (UTC)
No need to set a date anymore, I think. Raptors has said what he had to say (and more). Our turn now. --Dirigible 02:02, 27 November 2007 (UTC)
Can you look into the situation more before assuming things please? Thanks. --- Raptors / RAAAAAAAAAA!
I am confused, Raptors. What exactly has Dir presumed? LordBiro 08:36, 27 November 2007 (UTC)

54[edit]

This is a hint. Backsword 15:03, 25 November 2007 (UTC)

Lol, took me a second to figure out what you meant. But yeah, point taken :P LordBiro 15:48, 25 November 2007 (UTC)

Your icons[edit]

I want to try to start a website with a collection of guildwars dialogue on it, can I use your tango icons to mark quests that require you to be that profession (and for repeatable quests)? —Ebany Salmonderiel 18:21, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Yeah I love them! Mind if I ask where you got them from? Thanks Barinthus 20:11, 8 December 2007 (UTC)
The icons are released under the GNU Free Documentation License (this license is really for textual content, but basically you are free to use or distribute the icons for any purpose provided that any modifications are released under the same license). So please feel free to use them, but please give me credit. A link to my wiki user page would be great, it doesn't have to be anything too prominent. :)
Barinthus, I made them in Inkscape. LordBiro 22:29, 8 December 2007 (UTC)
TYVM :). Do you mind if they are in the footer of each page? —Ebany Salmonderiel 17:24, 10 December 2007 (UTC)
You can do that if you want, but that is a bit over the top in my opinion :) LordBiro 18:54, 10 December 2007 (UTC)

Resignation[edit]

I've resigned my administrative duties on the other wiki. How do I become a normal user again?--MP47 (talk) 02:20, 10 December 2007 (UTC)

I've made the change to user rights and responded on your talk page on GuildWiki. LordBiro 07:38, 10 December 2007 (UTC)

RFC[edit]

Can I get your thoughts on the latest at Guild_Wars_Wiki_talk:Blocking_policy#No_duration_cap? --Rezyk 19:39, 10 December 2007 (UTC)

/Hijack: And could I ask you to have a look at Guild_Wars_Wiki_talk:Adminship/Draft_2007-11-14 and provide some input if you have time. --Indecision 16:23, 11 December 2007 (UTC)

I will have a look at both :) LordBiro 19:50, 11 December 2007 (UTC)

Reinstatement?[edit]

Let's face it. I failed at sysophood. But why give up? GuildWiki is dying slowly, yes. But that's all the more reason that it needs as much help as possible, and quickly. And, judging from the RfAs as of late, tbh and not to seem arrogant, but I don't think there's anyone more qualified for the job. Sure, JediRogue and maybe Gimmethegepgun will make good administrators, but a sysop base of three or four is not enough, especially with all of the recent proxy IP vandalism attacks. Many people believe that resigning was the right thing to do, but the majority isn't always correct, as I'm sure you already know. After all of this self-realization, I feel that I've really matured as both a human being and a contributor, and that I have most definately learned from my mistakes, and I won't make them again. I still believe that I have enough intelligence and maturity to handle a job as important as an administrator, and that I can most certainly be trusted. My goal is to benefit the wiki, and I don't know a better way than to continue my duties as a sysop there. It's not like we can have a set number of admins, so anyone trusted enough to have that job would always help cleanup vandalism, etc. I would like to thank Auron, also, as leaving GuildWiki made me seriously reflect on my actions and change my ways. If you still think that I'd continue to be a poor admin, then fine, all I'm asking for is a chance for redemption.--MP47 (talk) 20:19, 11 December 2007 (UTC)

Wrong wiki? Or is this intentional? Lord of all tyria 20:25, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
Intentional. Biro is on this wiki more often I believe.--MP47 (talk) 20:30, 11 December 2007 (UTC)

IF you resigned don't you need a whole other RFA? And seriously dude, this is weird... You resigned now all of a sudden it's like your saying "jk sry guys another bad day, i didnt mean it." Just let it go, you were'nt right for the sysop position on Guildwiki in the first place. --Zinc 23:19, 11 December 2007 (UTC)

Like you would know? Lord Belar 23:20, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
Yes, I do. --Zinc 23:44, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
I respect your opinion Zinc, and, actually, it was Auron who put me up to asking.--MP47 (talk) 23:52, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
Now that I re-read my original post it did seem very trollish and I apologize for that. It is still my opinion on the matter nonetheless. --Zinc 23:57, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
It's no problem, it's just a matter of personal opinion.--MP47 (talk) 23:59, 11 December 2007 (UTC)

...Still waiting for some kind of definate answer...--MP47 (talk) 17:58, 15 December 2007 (UTC)

I do check GuildWiki as well you know. LordBiro 17:59, 15 December 2007 (UTC)
Sorry, but the header about this subject is here already anyways.--MP47 (talk) 18:03, 15 December 2007 (UTC)
It's no problem really. I'm sorry to keep you hanging about, I will give you a definite answer very soon. LordBiro 20:42, 15 December 2007 (UTC)
Okay thanks.--MP47 (talk) 20:49, 15 December 2007 (UTC)

HELP[edit]

Somehow, someone on the other wiki copied my exact username and is using it to vandalise the wiki. Please ban the one w/ contributions only from today.--MP47 (talk) 23:49, 11 December 2007 (UTC)

how can someone do that? --Cursed Angel talk 23:51, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
Hex code so close to a o that you can't even tell, apparently.--MP47 (talk) 23:55, 11 December 2007 (UTC)

GFDL[edit]

Hey, I noticed the tango prof icons you uploaded were GFDL images. As per the conversation on HELP:WIKI, can someone use these freely apart from this web site, and also, is Image:Any-tango-icon-20.png included as well? -elviondale (tahlk) 18:58, 15 December 2007 (UTC)

Yes, as long as someone follows the license then they are free to use the icons for any purpose. I'd be happy for anyone to link to my userpage on GWW as credit. And yes, all my icons on this wiki are included in that statement. LordBiro 20:45, 15 December 2007 (UTC)
All content on this wiki is GFDL, so you can use it all by following the license. The special thing about Biro's icons is that he has also them released them in CC BY-NC-SA (iirc). poke | talk 21:20, 15 December 2007 (UTC)

Request to review Sysop Aiiane[edit]

moved to Guild Wars Wiki talk:Requests for adminship/Aiiane

Auron's RFA[edit]

Guild Wars Wiki:Requests for adminship/Auron is open more than a week now so it should be closed. Since this is the first time a RFA is close by the standards of the policy, I suggest we discuss whether it is successful or not on its talk page. --Xeeron 13:59, 20 December 2007 (UTC)

I'm not sure why neither of you guys have commented about this on that RFA's discussion page yet, but we should probably get it over with soon, as it's lasted about one week over what the policy recommends it should last. I'd have closed it by now, but since Xeeron (judging by the above comment) believes it's not such a clear cut result and that it deserves discussion, I think I should probably wait for us to do so. Or if you guys won't be commenting on this issue, just let me know so I can move ahead with it. Danke! :) --Dirigible 05:52, 24 December 2007 (UTC)

"Interesting" new site[edit]

Hiya Biro! I just wanted to get your attention and point you in this direction. Check it out when you get a chance, and let me know if you have any questions! --UserEmilyDiehlStar.gif Emily Diehl (talk) 19:43, 20 December 2007 (UTC)

GW2W[edit]

Hey there, just a quick note: I'll have limited internet access in the next week (and I don't know whether Dirigible will stay active as a bureaucrat on GW2W), so please have an eye on the new wiki in case someone needs a bureaucrat there. Thx. --Xeeron 08:53, 22 December 2007 (UTC)

Although this might be best placed elsewhere, I will be keeping an eye on my GW2W talk page should anyone need me over there. LordBiro 09:32, 22 December 2007 (UTC)

Admin names[edit]

May I have your vote and/or opinion regarding the Admin names (on a three level draft) discussion here? Coran Ironclaw 22:49, 2 January 2008 (UTC)

House Of Kyan[edit]

I'm just letting you know that your guild is in the inactive list. You may want to remove the inactive tag and restore the guild tag, if it still exists.

PS. Maybe an archive is in order? —Cake! Ebañy Salmonderiel 19:03, 12 January 2008 (UTC)

Hey Salmonderiel, I'd noticed it was tagged as inactive, I'm not sure of the status of the guild atm so if it gets deleted then so be it :) LordBiro 19:05, 12 January 2008 (UTC)
Skilful sidestepping of the archiving issue there, LB ;P --SnogratUser Snograt signature.png 19:36, 12 January 2008 (UTC)

Tree Icon[edit]

Hi, I saw on your main that you like icons, drawing and art are not really my thing, I would like have a sig pic with the tree emblem in the game, but the best I could achieve was this three: Honor Tree, Honor Tree, Honor Tree. Which, err, leave me desiring something better. Would you be kind enough to make me one? -- Coran Ironclaw 19:01, 13 January 2008 (UTC)

Icons[edit]

I suppose im just 1 of many many peeps to come onto your talk page and say "GREAT ICONS!", thats all i really wanted to say, oh and just noticed you're a fellow edinburger, hope you had a grand hogmany! -- Salome 10:54, 15 January 2008 (UTC)

Hey Salome :) thanks very much! I had a good hogmanay thanks, I hope you did too! :) LordBiro 19:18, 15 January 2008 (UTC)

Grammar[edit]

I don't know which is ruder, fixing it or bringing it up here. I'm guessing the first one, so I'll do the second. ;) "I'm LordBiro and I am a bureaucrat on the wiki whose always willing to help :)". Shouldn't that be who's? :p Biscuits User Biscuits sig.png 17:42, 20 January 2008 (UTC)

it should. 1-0 for biscuits!  :P - Y0_ich_halt Have a look at my page 19:04, 20 January 2008 (UTC)
:P LordBiro 19:49, 20 January 2008 (UTC)
Flaw? B-Crat? Nahhh... Calor (t) 19:51, 20 January 2008 (UTC)

o.o[edit]

http://ifelse.co.uk/images/lego-katamari.jpg -Auron 12:33, 30 January 2008 (UTC)

Ah, three of my favourite things! Katamari Damacy, Lego and Auron! :D LordBiro 18:38, 30 January 2008 (UTC)
yah auron is awesome at being awesome --Cursed Angel talk 18:51, 30 January 2008 (UTC)

Bureaucratification[edit]

A wiki without LordBiro as a bureaucrat? That's unpossible - nay, unthinkable! Waaaah, is all I can think to say at this juncture :( --SnogratUser Snograt signature.png 12:10, 6 February 2008 (UTC)

While I am not really surprised that you declined, I have to say that you were a steady and defining influence for a very long time here and did a great job (and hopefully, you'll stay around just as well as a non-bureaucrat). --Xeeron 13:00, 6 February 2008 (UTC)
bu, no justice, now I can't black mail you with my oppose vote if you don't do my sig icon =( -- Coran Ironclaw 21:32, 6 February 2008 (UTC)

Sacrifice tango icon Tango-sacrifice.png[edit]

Hiho, i left a note here. Could you help out? Or do you think we should keep the old one and hope Anet changes to your icon ;)? —ZerphatalkThe Improver 01:33, 8 February 2008 (UTC)

The Other Wiki[edit]

Hey, just popping in from the other wiki. I've tried to contact you in game several times now, but I havnt seen you on. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to speak of the other wiki on this one, but its the only way I can contact you. Since both you and Gravewit are sort of "Afk" from Gwiki, we need a new Beuracrat (Or however you spell it), since we only have 2 active admins. I know you've probably cut your ties/bonds to the other wiki, but there is no-one else, and its taken over 10 hours to get an article deleted this week.. In the hopes that you'll respond, --Warwick (Talk) (Contr.) 00:28, 12 February 2008 (UTC)

There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to talk of GuildWiki here. (In fact, we've had posts on the admin noticeboard here before when a sysop was needed on GuildWiki or the like, back when most of the sysops were identical. ;) Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 00:40, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
Aha, okays. Well anyway, the situation is getting pretty bad. If there was any major vandalism (say, Raptors was to attack =/), he'd probably just go on and on until he got bored. =/... --Warwick (Talk) (Contr.) 00:43, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
Actually probably until he fell asleep, it'd probably take that long. --Shadowcrest 02:33, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
Raptors is currently sidetracked with his Partner-in-crime fiancée. Lucky us. Calor Talk 02:35, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
I have no problem with people contacting me here about GuildWiki, but I would prefer it if you would try contacting me on GuildWiki first. Just because I no longer contribute does not mean I don't check GuildWiki.
I am aware of the situation on GuildWiki. I've been trying to make some arrangements but I'd rather not divulge what those arrangements are at the present time. LordBiro 08:30, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
Careful, bax. You're starting to sound like Gravewit. :) —Tanaric 16:00, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
I can neither confirm nor deny allegations that I am selling my bureaucratship on GuildWiki to a competing wiki farm. LordBiro 17:21, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
Oh man, I could have sold mine? You jerk, you let me give it to you! —Tanaric 05:12, 13 February 2008 (UTC)

New Icon request[edit]

Heya! We've been having a discussion here and I would like to ask you to consider helping us come up with a set of icons that could be used on collector and weaponsmith pages to identify the 'class' of the weapon.. ie. melee, ranged, shield, caster one hand, caster 2 hand, and caster offhand, as well as a non-weapon item (bags, belt pouch, scrolls, etc...). If you can think of a better way to organize, that would work too. Thanks in advance for your consideration of this project! --Go to Wynthyst's Talk page Wynthyst 22:22, 14 February 2008 (UTC)

That'd be cool to have. Wish I knew how to help out User Barinthus Magical Compass.png Barinthus 02:38, 15 February 2008 (UTC)

Arbcom: Readem[edit]

Guild Wars Wiki:Arbitration committee/2008-02-07-User:Readem#Decision about accepting the case for arbitration is still waiting for your decision. --Xeeron 10:40, 25 February 2008 (UTC)

Thanks for reminding me. My page really does need archiving. LordBiro 17:55, 25 February 2008 (UTC)

GuildWiki[edit]

as you said above, try contacting you there first. I did that about a week ago, and I haven't gotten a response (from you) yet. Whenever you're free, could you answer my post?--MP47 (Talk) (Contr.) 01:38, 2 March 2008 (UTC)

Knockdown icon[edit]

You still doing icons for the wiki? CoRrRan have added support of requirments to the skill infobox, but KDs are currently unsupported, mainly as the wiki doesn't actually have any symbol representing knockdowns. Backsword 07:07, 3 March 2008 (UTC)

Is there even a symbol in-game for KD? Calor Talk 19:28, 3 March 2008 (UTC)
I don't believe there is an in-game symbol for KD, and nothing springs to mind as an obvious pictogram for it, but I will give it some thought :) LordBiro 21:04, 3 March 2008 (UTC)
The icon on Stonefist Insignia, if it could be rendered out then tangoized, perhaps. Calor Talk 21:06, 3 March 2008 (UTC)
If you didn't know what it was supposed to signify would you realise that it meant knockdown? LordBiro 22:51, 3 March 2008 (UTC)
Hmm... Eh, I might. Anyone have other ideas? Calor Talk 22:52, 3 March 2008 (UTC)
The downturned fist in the skill image for Earthbind is similar but a tiny bit more obvious. -- Dashface User Dashface.png 11:12, 4 March 2008 (UTC)
Desperation Blow's icon wouldn't be bad. Go to Aiiane's Talk page (Aiiane - talk - contribs) 11:25, 4 March 2008 (UTC)
I like the downturned fist option! It's quite simple and there'll also be a tooltip on the image and it'll link to Knock down. -- CoRrRan (CoRrRan / talk) 14:39, 4 March 2008 (UTC)

admin information[edit]

Hey Biro, could you add your timezone info to Guild Wars Wiki:Administrators :) --LemmingUser Lemming64 sigicon.png 23:33, 7 March 2008 (UTC)