ArenaNet talk:Guild Wars 2 suggestions/Character name and HoM inheritance
Allow New GW2 Name Linked to HoM Benefits
I know that if you do certain things in GW, you can link them to GW2 through the Hall of Monuments. These things are not yet known, but I have heard that name reservation is one of the perks. After playing GW for so long, I'm really tired of the name I chose in GW, and would really like to get a new name in GW2. Please make the HoM benefits account based, instead of requiring us to carry on with the same name in GW2 to reap those benefits. EasyToSpell 05:45, 21 April 2008 (UTC)
- From the information we have, it looks like the name is only reserved. Like when you delete your character, for thirty minutes or so, your account has that name reserved for it. o.0 At least thats if I remember correctly. You don't necessarily need to take the name, but you have the option. Of course this is only my interpretation of the info we have received. Kairu 03:59, 22 April 2008 (UTC)
- From what we know, achievements in GW1 will not make you "stronger" in GW2. It's probably going to be more like a feature that reminds you of your achievements in GW1. --Treasure Boy 16:20, 8 May 2008 (UTC)
- If you think about it though, it wouldnt make sense if you just used the same name that you used in GW1 and moved it to GW2, because what if another random player in GW2 wanted the same name as a very good player in GW1... that would mean they could easily just steal all achievements that the very good player had done, and all his work would be a waste.. I think they should do something like, putting in your GW1 account name or something like that...--Huwhelper 22:56, 8 May 2008 (UTC)
- Just a suggestion but... I would like to merge my GW1 and GW2 accounts, so when i create my GW2 account I want to see an option to link it with a GW1 account, then when i create a character i want it to say 'Which character has <GW2 name> ascended from?' Options being all your chars that have been to HoM and an option not to link it. Any improvements on that? Lt Death 08:50, 11 May 2008 (UTC)
- That is something to think about chars dont x-fer over but then it gives you a link platform to build onto and show family lineage as well as ( possibility to look into ...) a small bonus for tying the games together call it a dedicated customer reward or something 188.8.131.52 14:51, 11 May 2008 (UTC)
- I want to say my PvE character (warrior)'s name really sucks. Is it possible, if other people could see which your previous characters in GW1 are, to do something like a name change? For example, if I name my GW2 char Danny The Brave it'd be really stupid to see my last warrior was named I Want Spec Weekend. Maybe I sould go to Guild Wars 1 suggestions and write something. Ninjas In The Sky 19:44, 11 May 2008 (UTC)
Now, are you guys talking about your actuall char name? Because you have to realize that the game takes place 250 years in the future. Your GW2 account is probably going to be like any other campaign, were you just type the key code in and vouwala! So creating a new character is deff. in the picture.184.108.40.206 01:42, 14 May 2008 (UTC)
- The choice between GW1 and 2 only needs another front screen between Account login and access to characters like when you create a new character you have to choose the campaign before you can make your character if you have more than 1 character. As the HoM is likely to remain unchanged for continuity, I would like to see more artefacts from that race unearthed. On a personal note, I want to know which title tracks are important for GW2 and which are not. Over the years I have 18 character slots so maxing all titles just for GW2 heirs to benefit is not very practical for me. Do account based titles give better transfers or characters? Can I mix and match traits as I can for the Max title track or is farming PvP and PvE the only way to get the maximum benefit? The earlier we know the better tbh. --Don Knowall 01:21, 20 May 2008 (UTC)
It would be a good idea to make a new character for GW2 e.g. Warrior that gets everything from the HoM of your GW1 Warrior . BEcause some of the names will become old-fashioned . For example I've seen Citizen of Cantha which will become unusable due to Cantha beeing isolated in GW2 . SO i think that new name , old HoM could be a better idea.
My idea, in all honesty, is similar to the lineage idea previously stated, with one exception. Since there will be other races, maybe they should make it so that, should you use the name of a previous character you make, the story line could start out with how your GW2 character is named after the great hero (insert GW1 name here). Also, with the HoM, they could make it where, lets say...the armor and weapons you dedicate there, can be passed onto the character named after the GW1 version, to be available and usable automatically. Something I think they can tie into the storyline I believe, assuming that wasn't their initial idea. ;)
Wait a second...
I haven't read the discussion, but from what we know, you can tie any character of you GW2 account to any character of any GW1 account you have, and reserving names is just an additional feature. --Sir Bertrand 19:47, 14 June 2008 (UTC)