Guild Wars Wiki:Adminship
This page is an official policy on the Guild Wars Wiki.
It has wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users should follow.
Guild Wars Wiki is administered by the community. There are two types of formal administrator status: sysop and bureaucrat. This status is not intended to represent extra weight within community decisions or generally directing the wiki, nor is it a requirement for moderating or enforcing policy. Like all users, administrators are expected to respect policy and consensus.
Sysops are users that are also granted technical access to a few restricted features (including blocking users and deleting pages), and the additional responsibility of not misusing them. When effecting a change that requires this access, a clear reason must be provided and the action must only be performed in these cases (or else be reversed):
- As specifically noted in any written policy, e.g. deletion according to deletion policy. For this purpose, mentions of "administrative action" should be interpreted as an allowance of blocking/banning offenders.
- At their own discretion, whenever he or she believes it would be supported directly by community consensus (regarding the specific change/action). If going against what would normally be accepted as policy or going beyond usual sysop actions, the sysop is to note this action on the sysop discretion log. If this discretion is exercised and the expected consensus is seriously challenged by any user, an actual consensus needs to be established and implemented or the action(s) should be reverted. In challenged cases that break an explicit restriction, the action(s) are to be reverted while that consensus is not yet established.
Bureaucrats are sysops that have the following additional powers and responsibilities:
- Update the group-level permission of users based on community decisions and policies. (See the MediaWiki manual on user rights.)
- This includes appointing or removing sysops according to formal requests for adminship or reconfirmation.
- Managing the status of wikibots.
- Provide a publicly-reachable e-mail address on the list of bureaucrats.
- Resolve existing disputes and (where sensible) prevent them from taking place.
- Document their actions appropriately and respond to any questions from the community.
Sysop selection and reconfirmation is governed by the policy for requests for adminship. Sysops can resign their position at any time and can be removed by bureaucrat discretion if it serves the best interests of the community.
Bureaucrats are selected as follows:
- The initial three bureaucrats will be chosen by an election (tbd) according to the policy for elections. The top three vote-getters will be named as permanent bureaucrats.
- To maintain a total of three people in the role:
- A bureaucrat resigning their position in good terms may choose their own replacement from the community.
- If a bureaucrat is unable to serve without being able to resign, the remaining two bureaucrats can choose the replacement.
- Anyone selected as bureaucrat who is not already a sysop must be confirmed according to the same RfA process as any other sysop.
- Like sysops, bureaucrats are also subject to requests for reconfirmation.
ArenaNet is not formally involved in the administrator selection process except where explicitly specified, and community decisions may not be otherwise appealed to them. ArenaNet staff may participate in the administrator selection process just as any other contributor in good standing, but their opinions are given equal weight as other members of the community.