Guild Wars Wiki:Requests for technical administration/Allow image moving
From Guild Wars WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Request for image moving to be enabled in 1.13
- MediaWiki configuration
- Additional software requirements
- MediaWiki 1.13
- Additional server-side maintenance requirements
- The following lines need to be added to
$wgAllowImageMoving = True;
- See Manual:$wgAllowImageMoving on the MediaWiki wiki for more information.
- Reason for request
- Currently when an image is uploaded under an incorrect name, either the original uploader must be contacted to reupload it to the correct name or someone else must save the image to their computer and reupload to the correct name, then delete the old image and fix whatever links were using the image. Given how often images are uploaded to incorrect names, this becomes a fairly tedious process. The ability to simply move images would condense the process considerably.
- What else uses it
- Possible pitfalls
- The MediaWiki manual page specifically says "Experimental, not sure if it always works", with no explanation what that means. Without knowing what exactly this means, let alone if it will apply to our wiki, we'd appreciate it if IT could test this as part of their testing MediaWiki 1.13. If all it is is something like occasionally the wiki'll throw an error saying you can't do that, it's still better than what we've got now. If it's something like crashing the wiki, images lost, etc, obviously that would make this a poor solution.