Guild Wars Wiki:Requests for technical administration/ConfirmEdit/Update
From Guild Wars WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Request for ConfirmEdit update
- MediaWiki extension upgrade and configuration update
- The full installation notes can be found at . For the upgrade, download the latest ConfirmEdit.php and ConfirmEdit.i18n.php into extensions/ConfirmEdit/ in the MediaWiki directory (replacing the previous files).
- Configuration update
- The following lines need to be modified in
ConfirmEdit.phpto these values:
$wgGroupPermissions['*' ]['skipcaptcha'] = false; $wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['skipcaptcha'] = true; $wgGroupPermissions['autoconfirmed']['skipcaptcha'] = true; $wgGroupPermissions['bot' ]['skipcaptcha'] = true; $wgGroupPermissions['sysop' ]['skipcaptcha'] = true;
$wgCaptchaTriggers['edit'] = false; $wgCaptchaTriggers['create'] = false; $wgCaptchaTriggers['addurl'] = true; $wgCaptchaTriggers['createaccount'] = true; $wgCaptchaTriggers['badlogin'] = true;
- Reason for request
- Recently there's been a noticeable increase in spam from registered accounts, which seem bot-like in nature; we believe that causing the CAPTCHA to also be triggered when an account is first registered will help. Also, not too long ago ConfirmEdit was upgraded with new functionality that allows it to trigger even on a bad login attempt, acting as a slow down measure against password-guessing bots.
- What else uses it
- All Wikimedia projects.
- Possible pitfalls
- CAPTCHAs can be very bothersome for genuine users.