Guild Wars Wiki:Requests for technical administration/ImageMagick
From Guild Wars WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Request for ImageMagick
- http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows (free GPL software)
- Additional software requirements
- Additional server-side maintenance requirements
- The following lines need to be added to
$wgUseImageResize = true; $wgUseImageMagick = true; $wgImageMagickConvertCommand = "C:\\Program Files\\Imagemagick\\Convert.exe"; # for example
- Reason for request
- There are many images that need to be scaled by MediaWiki for use in multiple locations. The support for image scaling in PHP is extremely feeble: scaling PNG, for example, causes it to discolor images because it does not manage palettes well. Imagemagick is a robust set of tools for image manipulation that MediaWiki is already designed to use.
- What else uses it
- All Wikimedia projects use it.
- Possible pitfalls
- Would require running software on the servers. This is a potential security risk. However, the software does not need administrative privileges -- just write access to the MediaWiki's cache. The software is also free (GPL), and the source can be freely examined for trojans.