Guild Wars Wiki:Requests for technical administration/LuceneSearch
From Guild Wars WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Request for LuceneSearch
- MediaWiki extension + underlying daemon
- Additional software requirements
- Java 5
- LSearch daemon (available from the same page as this extension, in both source and binary form)
- Apache Ant (if the source form of LSearch is used)
- Additional server-side maintenance requirements
- A cron-job needs to be set up to regularly dump the database to an xml. The command to execute in this cron-job are listed in the installation instructions. This requires that AdminSettings.php is available, and set to a database user with access to the wiki's database. Also requires the lsearch daemon (lsearchd) to be running.
- Reason for request
- MediaWiki's search engine is horrible. This extension and underlying daemon replaces it with a much better search engine that uses Lucene for indexing, with ordering based on relevancy.
- Possible pitfalls
- Lucene indexes together with the xml dump can eat quite a bit of disk space and the server must be running linux. It can also be relatively complicated to set up compared to other extensions due to the daemon.