User:Emily Diehl/Official Guild Wars 2 Wiki
We're excited to let you know that we've opened up the Official Guild Wars 2 Wiki, and it's ready for you to jump in and build, as content becomes available. I'm sure that many of you remember the way we launched the current Guild Wars wiki, but for those of you who weren't there when the doors opened (or for those of you that may need a refresher), here are answers to a few questions you may have :)
- Why is the wiki so bare and empty?
- Since we firmly believe that the wiki is to be community-run, we didn't want to set up the look and feel of the new site for you. Since half of the fun of moving into a new place is arranging things for the first time, we felt that providing as blank a slate as possible would be more fun for everyone. When I moved stuff over, I just moved core legal disclaimers over to make sure they were in place before the site launched. The rest is up to you to decide.
- Why are you launching this site so early?
- As we continue work on Guild Wars 2 we will eventually start releasing bits of information about the game through interviews, magazine articles, and other outlets. We'd like to make sure that you guys have a good place to put that stuff when you get it, without having to move it later.
- Are devs going to be able to talk about Guild Wars 2 here?
- Unfortunately not. Until the game goes live, we'll be unable to comment on any Guild Wars 2 related topics. While folks like Gaile and I will be around on both wikis, please keep in mind (and help us to emphasize as much as possible to other users) that we're not going to be able to spill any beans about the game. We may use the existing system to share some information prior to launch -- such as the Dev Updates or community team visits -- but for the most part devs won't be providing new information for a long time to come.
- Who's going to be a Sysop/Bureaucrat on the new site?
- To start, we've automatically grandfathered all Sysops and Bureaucrats from the Guild Wars Wiki over to the Guild Wars 2 Wiki. We're assuming that you'll want to hold your own elections for this new wiki, and that there may be some varying opinions about whether having Sysop/Bureau status on one wiki should automatically grant it on the other. Since we don't want to set any policy, we'll leave this to the membership to decide, and will leave the timeframe of this decision completely in your hands.
- Does my current login information work on the new wiki?
- Yes, the log-in information is linked between the two, although things like rank and userpages will have to be established on both sites individually.
Since the new wiki is not populated with any information, has no written policy, and is very bare-bones at this point, we do not plan to officially announce its existence on our official site at this time. If you're reading this page, you're likely a current Sysop, a current Bureaucrat, an extremely active Guild Wars Wiki contributor, someone who loves to comb the recent changes list, or someone who has noticed the link off of a Sysop or Bureaucrat's talk page. In any case, it will be folks like you that will be able to build this new wiki from the ground up and make it into something that will ultimately become the resource for Guild Wars 2 information.
As you all build this wiki, you can have confidence that we will do everything we can to support all of your efforts on the site, and to help promote and contribute to the wiki (when the time comes).
As always, you guys are awesome. We're all thrilled to see how this new wiki will evolve as time goes on. If there is anything that we can do to help out, (short of providing information on the game ;)), please let Gaile or me know!