Talk:Hero skill point
Number of hero skill points per rank
I started the Nightfall campaign with my mesmer and earned 1 hero skill point for each of the first two ranks of the Sunspear title, not just the first rank. I'm assuming it's the same for the Lightbringer title, but it would be a good idea to double check. Tedium 09:14, 2 August 2007 (UTC)
- Kind of forgot about this. Turns out on my monk after reaching rank 2 of the Lightbringer title, I received 2 hero skill points. Tedium 08:06, 29 October 2007 (UTC)
- It's been a while so I may not remember correctly, but if memory serves (and a little research on the net to help), that 1 point for the first two ranks of Sunspear and the first rank of Lightbringer; 2 points otherwise. Seems that in GW:EN, it's 1 point for each rank always. I'm rewriting the page saying that. Of course, if i'm mistaken, do feel free to correct... (oh, that's right, that's the idea behing wikis... hehehe). E-Kay 01:27, 17 December 2007 (UTC)
Number obtainable in Nightfall
The Note said you can obtain 36 hero skill points in nightfall per character. This was wrong on two levels. First, you can obtain as many as you like by buying them from the trainer. Second, 1+1+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2=18 for Sunspear and 1+2+2+2+2+2+2+2=15 for Lightbringer. Since 18+15=33, I went ahead and changed the Note. Perhaps whoever wrote the note originally thought that sunspear and lightbringer had the same number of ranks?188.8.131.52 09:57, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
There are two notes that seem to be controversial:
- "Each character can earn up to 33 hero skill points in Nightfall and 40 in Eye of the North; these points are not transferable across the campaigns."
- Previously, the note added, for a total of 73 points. However, this isn't very helpful to know: you cannot use NF points in EotN nor vice versa.
- "There is no limit to the number of points that can be purchased, but there is no advantage to doing so: ordinary skill trainers can teach the same skills at the same price (if not lower). "
- Previously, the note read, there is not much advantage; in fact, there's no advantage and it can be disadvantageous – Hero skill points always cost 1 while it's possible to purchase skills for less at skill trainers.
- The note also described the conditions under which skill trainers charged 1; that's noteworthy, but covered under skill trainers (it's relatively unimportant for understanding Hero Skill Points).
- The sole exception to this rule is to learn Sunspear skills, although (one hopes) that all but a few characters will need to do this.
- "you cannot use NF points in EotN nor vice versa."
- Actually yes, you can use hero skill points attained during Eye of the North titles at hero skill trainers in nightfall. --Chieftain Alex 12:50, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- And I recall buying EotN skills using my amassed NF points. It was one of the first things I did with all my characters. G R E E N E R 14:32, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- Well... that's utterly embarrassing. I was sure, based on my last attempt to buy skills on the cheap, that I had left over points in one but not the other. Thanks for cleaning up after me; my apologies for getting that bit completely worng. [sic] — Tennessee Ernie Ford (TEF) 01:14, 13 June 2011 (UTC)
As previously been stated, HSP (hero skill point) usage is not exclusive to the campaign/expansion you earn them in. For example gaining a HSP from earning a rank in the Asura title track doesn't mean you can't use that HSP to learn Whirlwind Attack from Libeh in the Command Post. Also, the article already states that you can only get Sunspear skills with HSPs and I'm sure nearly none of the people reading this page are incapable of basic arithmetic, so some of these notes seem redundant. - 184.108.40.206
Possible to get more?
I keep getting a notice "You have earned a Hero Skill Point" and a levelup ping in the general direction of my heroes randomly when killing things. I'm not fully paying attention to them or the game, but has it been added that you can get hero skill points upon hero "levelup", because it definitely seems likely. Also, this would mean that heroes have an experience bar that allows them to "level up".Master Bei Shun 07:54, 4 November 2011 (UTC)
- Not quite as you described. You earn the hero skill points when the player character reaches the milestones noted in the article. I don't remember if these are associated with a sound or not. Obviously, your heroes also earn xp from foe deaths...and, if they earn enough to add a level, you'll definitely hear a sound (same with pets). We have no way of knowing if heroes continue to accrue XP after they reach L20, since there's no in-game mechanism to test the idea.