Talk:Siphon Strength

From Guild Wars Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Nice for spiking in ab, just go with a balanced build. Ninjas In The Sky 18:17, 16 March 2008 (UTC)

This skill easily disables attacking classes, on just a 10 second CD. Boosts you really well too. Alistair Cookie Ritualist-icon-small.png 01:03, 20 May 2008 (UTC)

This doesn't affect bonus damage, which is what most martial classes rely on. Sure, this will knock down the damage quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it a shut down. Barkingllama 02:52, 29 May 2008 (UTC)

It does indeed affect bonus damage, oh,yea the Lord is my witness, it does. (But obivously not enough to kill the opposing assassin)Noctarch 01:29, 25 June 2008 (UTC)
Hehe, just add Weakness and all they will be doing is their bonus damage. - 144.226.230.37 14:24, 3 June 2008 (UTC)
Does this 33% increased crit also affects ranged spells like dancing daggers?
Spells can't critical. Only attacks. Noctarch 01:35, 3 July 2008 (UTC)

At 13 Critical Strikes and 12 Scythe Mastery...

  • 33% from Siphon Strength +
  • 29% from Way of the Master +
  • 13% from Critical Eye +
  • 13% from inherent Critical Strikes +
  • 12% from Scythe Mastery (I think you get 1% per rank, not sure)+
  • =100% crit rate with a scythe!

So now you're gaining 4-12 energy per swing with 4 pips of energy regen, you've got crit defenses up, you're doing 60+ BASE damage, and whatever you put SS on is doing less damage.

This is a 145% percent chance extra crit rate, its multiplicative and you are wasting skill slots. You only really need 70-80 to be effective, you get 63 from way of the master on its own with inherent crit in scythes and attributes.


Or, let's run Disrupting Accuracy, and God forbid alongside anyone with Frustration. Keen Arrow for 90 damage, anyone?

Thank God there's no IAS in the sin repertoire...

[EDIT]: But, lol, Dervish secondaries have plenty. WTB Whirling Charge. User Raine R.gif Raine - talk 00:37, 5 November 2008 (UTC)

I run Siphon Strength on my Dervish (33% IAS + 33% higher crit rate + 35 damage redux is... fun), because I like running strange things on my Derv. And, I've got to say, this skill didn't make my D/A bar OP, even if it did make warriors, paragons, and other dervishes "lol joo can't hurt me!". But, at the same time, an A/D utilizing attributes from my primary profession easily flings this skill into the 'broken' pile.

I see on here often enough that "dervishes are OP" and "scythe damage was broken to begin with", but personally, I think a 70-AL frontliner with no blocking ability (okay, Shield of Force blocks one attack and Mirage Cloak gives you a 50% block rate for 15 energy for ten seconds)and a standard weapon that can hit for 9 damage (and that SUCKS when it happens, by the way) is FAR from OP when you've got classes that, say, get a 60% cost reduction on every attack skill, ritual, and touch skill and 100 base armor against elemental damage.

What I mean to say is, it's not cool that things that NEED attention are overlooked like this... because something's clearly very wrong here. User Raine R.gif Raine - talk 06:05, 10 September 2008 (UTC)

Crit chances don't add up, they multiply. Ask some dude that has more knowledge than me for moar info. Dark Morphon(contribs) 14:22, 30 September 2008 (UTC)
Crit Strikes 101: Your crit chance will be multiplicative not additive. So, if you were to run the skills and attrbitues mentioned above, you'd get:

At 13 Critical Strikes and 12 Scythe Mastery...

  • 33% from Siphon Strength (100-33=66)+
  • 29% from Way of the Master (100-29=71)+
  • 13% from Critical Eye (100-13=87)+
  • 13% from inherent Critical Strikes (100-13=87)+
  • 12% from Scythe Mastery (I think you get 1% per rank, not sure)(100-12=88)+
  • Now, .66*.71*.87*.87*.88=.32(rounded). Therefore, you have a 32% chance to not land a critical hit (68% chance to land a critical hit). I hope that clears things up. - WeHeartKatamari 18:58, 12 October 2008 (UTC)

Nice probability maths, so in integer sense 7 out of 10 attacks critical, that pretty much makes killing a monk a 3 sweep or so job if they are not blocking.Farlong 00:48, 22 October 2008 (UTC)

Tested. I can't verify the numbers, but I can verify that it kills shit dead. Critical VictoriousMysticEremites makes things die, quickly. I raped arenas with a shit build; It's not cool. User Raine R.gif Raine - talk 00:35, 5 November 2008 (UTC)

After trying this skill in RA i can't say that it actually worked, cast in on a pet - same damage, even on base attacks, cast it on a warrior - no damage change, cast it on a derv - still nothing... the hex wasn't getting removed (i was the only hexer on our team)but it just...didn't work. deadly arts @ 15. Is there a chance that this does not affect attack skills?

Every time I've used it, it worked exactly like the description said. Were you under the effects of this, maybe? O.o User Raine R.gif Raine - talk 03:14, 21 November 2008 (UTC)

Why isn't it used?[edit]

Actually, it seems to be a great defensive skill, why isn't used by non sin caster like Mesmer or Necro. -40 dmg is very powerful and destroy pressure. Please, explain me. 88.141.115.212 12:54, 14 March 2009 (UTC)

Because it costs you your elite and forces you to spec heavily into a strange attribute that you probably wouldn't be speccing into anyway. Misery 12:56, 14 March 2009 (UTC)
However, wouldn't this be great for a Rit flag runner? They used to spec in Shadow Arts for Hidden Caltrops, so it's not like that's a big deal, switching from one attribute to another. I'd spec Shadow Arts for Shadow Shroud, though Assassin's Promise might be good as well since Augury of Death is in Deadly Arts with it... Mr.Hobo 01:28, 24 March 2009 (UTC)
Hidden Caltrops was used because it could be maintained forever and was impossible to remove effectively, which more or less prevented small-scale splits from happening. --71.229.253.172 01:40, 24 March 2009 (UTC)

I know people will debate this[edit]

but anybody see the similarity to Stolen Speed? Previously Unsigned 02:43, 28 October 2009 (UTC)

It is very effective against Shiro (both in nf and fac) - with my derv using SS I can easily farm him with minimal effort