ArenaNet:International cultural references/Costa Rica
From Guild Wars Wiki
|International cultural references|
- A popular myth in the Guanacaste region is of rincon de la vieja (The old woman's corner) which is a volcano. The myth is about a girl whos lover was thrown into the volcano by her father, and she then became a hermit of the volcano, giving it "healing powers" i.e., great hot springs ;)
- A colocialism (spelling? lol) in Costa Rica is to greet someone by saying "Pura Vida" (The pure life)
- Since Costa Rica has had no army since 1949, a joke the local people have is "Los pajaros pueden inmovil defendernos" (The birds can still defend us) since there are so many types of birds.
- In modern times Costa Rica is having problems with Nicoraguans illegally immagrating.
- A popular and very tradtional dish is called a "Consada" (Marriage) which is a mix of rice and black beans with some type of meat.
- It is very common to hear Costa Ricans call themselves "Ticos(as)".
- As with many other Latin countries, Reggaeton, Salsa, and Gospel music is very popular.
I hope you find this interesting =] SweetEscape 03:59, 16 January 2008 (UTC)