Feedback:User/Leonim/Tutorial : Training memories
| Tutorial : Training memories|
 Suggestion : Short memories of past training
A tutorial is lacking, that’s for sure.
Make it optional, like a series of mini-games and events you can enjoy before starting your journey/story : memories of a recent past as your character was training and learning the chosen profession with NPC friends (the home instance may host this very nicely).
A simple question at the end of the character creation to ask if you want to relive selected memories of your training. A noticeable NPC in the starting area and your home instance would allow players to jump (back or if skipped) into those.
Then, and only then, throw new people into the fray of the starting area on their path of adventurehood.
Lets say you opted in : no change to the cinematic intro of your character, except for the addition of a final screen acknowledging your choice to think things through and remember some well-earned lessons.
After that cinematic, you’ll get a short detour in some highlights of your character’s past. For the best effect, ties them to the choices made in the character creation, especially the one related to recent past (we all have one).
It is like any other chapter of the personal story, this one focusing on teaching you a few moves, some interface essentials and bringing up colorful NPCs from the support cast, those that matters to your background.
 What’s to be learned?
At any time here, presented concepts should be enough to be informed and curious about those but not overwhelmed.
 Mobility training
Lets start with a quick showdown of mobility, the usual thing with a small twist saved for a later training : dodge.
 The inner child
Setting : a short stroll/race/chase/flight through town with a pal (as a child, cub, newborn?), inner voice and friend's quotes for pointers, using town clothes.
- Get your bearings
- learn about accessing help, options menu and ingame manual.
- Use running, turning and jumping to progress
- learn how to move, look and jump.
- Get crippled by an environmental hazard
- learn about effects being temporary, and also visible on your character.
- Talk to a city priest to gain swiftness and outstrip eventual pursuers
- learn about interacting with the game world (F key).
- > Reward : cutscene about the good old days or buddies for life.
 Martial training
Next scenes all occur at the same place during your first training day at camp... or something closeby depending on the race and background. Your instructor provides the voice-over explanations and many interface popups or tooltips provide short explanatations (anytime there is a "learn about" below).
 Welcome to the camp
- Meet your instructor.
- learn about emotes.
- learn about chat channels.
 Attack information
- Listen to instructor about using equally your feet, fists and brains.
- Pick up a training pike (one steady melee skill with 1s recharge)
- learn about picking up objects (F key).
- Attack a dummy target
- learn about activation time,
- learn about recharge time.
- Attack slow-moving targets (on rails)
- learn about moving while attacking,
- learn about auto-attack.
- Pick up a training musket (one steady ranged skill with 2s activation)
- learn about activation type.
- Attack dummy targets at different ranges
- learn about range,
- learn about applying damage.
- Receive might
- learn about attack, weapon strength and power.
- Receive blindness, weakness and fury
- learn about hit and miss,
- learn about glancing, normal and critical hits.
- Use an environmental weapon (a rock from a pile for unlimited projectiles)
- learn about environmental weapons and forms.
- Use an environmental object (a fixed burner to set up a flamewall)
- learn about ground-targeting.
- Throw rocks through the flames.
- learn about combos.
- > Reward : your starting weapon
- learn about inventory and equipping weapons,
- learn about unlocking weapon skills
- learn about tooltips.
About combos, the game should track those you have discovered or experienced, both as a personal achievement and in the account manual (where what you have learned from the mechanics is written down bit by bit for you to review though the options menu). Same may go for boons and conditions.
 Health information
- Listen to instructor rambling about how the world can be dangerous.
- learn about health and vitality.
- learn about out-of-combat regeneration.
- > Reward : your healing skill
- learn about skill panel,
- learn how to equip skills.
- Pass through a crumbling tunnel with a soothing river stream (or equivalent)
- Get damaged by falling rocks
- learn about receiving damage.
- Use your healing skill
- learn about healing and compassion.
- Enter a nearby healing spring and get healed the second time it happens
- learn about beneficial areas of effect (blue zones).
- Receive regeneration from a warning helper
- learn about regeneration and health-over-time effects.
- Step through a trapped area
- learn about harmful areas of effect (red zones),
- learn about dodging through or out of the way.
- Suffer from burning, poison and bleeding while passing through other environmental hazards
- learn about condition damage, duration and their respective attributes,
- learn about effect stacking (bleeding).
- Step in a nearby spring again to cleanse yourself when needed
- learn about condition removal.
- > Reward : Golden medal and experience
- learn about experience,
- learn about points of interests and exploration.
 Defense information
- Listen instructor about taking care of yourself.
- Block with a prop shield or get knockdown (already existing event)
- learn about timing and animation clues,
- learn about blocking, aegis and reflecting.
- Dodge or get launched (receive vigor after two tries)
- learn about dodge, endurance and vigor
- learn about knockdown, launch and other movement impairements.
- > Reward : your starting armor piece (from biography)
- learn how to equip armor pieces.
- Equip your armor piece (head or shoulders)
- learn about armor, toughness and defense,
- learn about vulnerability and armor repairs.
 Profession-specific information
- Listen to instructor sweet-talking about your chosen profession.
- Learn about its unique mechanics.
- Learn about the weapons you may use.
- Learn about the armor weight you are comfortable with.
- Listen to the instructor stating it is only the beginning of the road.
- learn about level cap and progression.
- Enter the enclosed arena
- learn about reknown hearts.
- Warmup with critters or sparring partners (same as norn starting area)
- learn about threat indicator.
- Engage your high-level instructor with what you have learned and some allies.
- Get logically downed (but not arbitrarily), end of fight
- learn about downed state.
- Be brought back up by a sparring partner and yourself (fourth skill, no incoming damage).
- Be asked to revive another one
- learn about getting defeated and penalties.
- Get kudos from the master, yet a long way to go (hints at advanced training events?)
- learn about underwater combat,
- learn about skill challenges,
- learn about traits and elite skill.
- > Reward : gold medal and some karma
- learn about karma and vendors,
- learn about mail interface.
- Option : buy a two-handed starting weapon from karma vendor.
Th previous scene is particularly more suitable to introduced the downed state rather than being automatically feeld down in front of your first boss, despite doing things well or not.
 End of the day
- Listen to instructor hinting at what you may become and the challenges ahead
- learn about starting city and home instance,
- learn about home server and ongoing WvW campaign,
- learn about your Mist Incarna (your other self as a maxed PvP character, battling for glory),
- learn how to shift (your _consciousness_?) in and out of the Mists realm.
After taking a final deep breath, feel ready for the show and blur things back to reality, into to the starting area (or in front of the starting NPC). Enabling the player to enjoy the graphics, events and gameplay without worrying that much on the discovery of early combat mechanics or feeling helpless.
 Advanced combat training
- Listen to instructor telling the assistance how newbie they are.
- learn about other boons, conditions and effects.
- Capture first zone.
- learn about capture points,
- Learn about glory.
- Approach contested second zone, get feared
- learn about fear.
- Approach a second time
- learn about NPC textual clues,
- learn about confusion and retaliation.
- Down your opponent despite fear, confusion and retaliation.
- learn about finishing moves.
- Finish your opponent
- learn about death penalty.
- Capture the second point.
 Crafting information
 WvW information
- learn about level scaling,
- learn about home server,
- learn about borderlands and battleground,
- learn about camps, towers and keeps,
- learn about supply,
- learn about blueprint,
- learn about siege weaponry,
- learn about defensive weaponry,
- learn about upgrades,
- learn about orbs of power,
- learn about guild claim,
- learn about NPC allies and reinforcements.
 Final Word
Good habits and understanding from the start for a better overalll game experience.