Guild Wars Wiki:Requests for technical administration/ConfirmEdit
From Guild Wars Wiki
 Request for ConfirmEdit
- MediaWiki extension
- Additional software requirements
- Additional server-side maintenance requirements
- Besides the installation (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit#Installation), the following lines need to be modified in
ConfirmEdit.phpto these values:
$wgGroupPermissions['*' ]['skipcaptcha'] = false; $wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['skipcaptcha'] = true; $wgGroupPermissions['autoconfirmed']['skipcaptcha'] = true; $wgGroupPermissions['bot' ]['skipcaptcha'] = true; $wgGroupPermissions['sysop' ]['skipcaptcha'] = true;
$wgCaptchaTriggers['edit'] = false; $wgCaptchaTriggers['create'] = false; $wgCaptchaTriggers['addurl'] = true; $wgCaptchaTriggers['createaccount'] = false;
- Reason for request
- Wiki spam is increasing daily, it's starting to become a major maintenance task in itself. The SpamBlacklist extension was considered, but it seems that it would be ineffective in controlling the kind of spam we've been getting (example), since these spammers are linking to legitimate hosts which are then redirecting to the spam sites. ConfirmEdit with the
ConfirmEdit.phpsettings above requires all non-registered users adding an URL to an article to answer a simple text CAPTCHA before being able to save their changes.
- Possible pitfalls
- CAPTCHAs can be an inconvenience for bona fide contributors.