Guild Wars Wiki talk:How to help
I am so NEW to wiki's, but I really want to be involved. I see this Guild Wiki as an awesome opportunity. I'm finding information here and other places about wiki code and general policies. Could someone create (or direct me to an already created) wiki "casual" policies page? The only way to contribute is to just jump in and start contributing, but I'm wondering what codes of conduct I don't know. What are some things that may not be official policy in wiki's? What is polite / not polite? If you see a page you want to contribute to, what do you do or check before you add or change things? How do I NOT start ticking people off? :-)
- Mask 23:25, 29 March 2007 (EDT)
- Welcome Mask. Being polite and asking good questions like that will go a long way towards not ticking people off. :) I'm not sure what pages you may have looked at already here, but a good place to start would be GWW:POLICY to see the current policies and those that are currently proposed. GWW:FORMAT will show you the current formatting guidelines for certain articles. Also GWW:CONTENT will show you what types of articles are allowed and which are currently not allowed, some stuff like builds and guilds are currently having policy hashed out on them. In fact as the wiki is still in its formative stages, many policy and formatting guidelines are still being put together. If you see one that interests you, go to the talk page for it, read up and join in the conversation/debate/whatever. :) If you have any more questions, feel free to ask on my talk page and I'll get back to you there as soon as I can. --Rainith 23:33, 29 March 2007 (EDT)
- Your idea is a good one though, Mask. Tomorrow I'll see if I can whip up a page with some of the most important things for a new user to know, some of the mistakes new contributors usually make, or simply things they should know to make their life easier around here. --Dirigible 23:43, 29 March 2007 (EDT)
- Thanks!! I'll look into all this. :-) --Mask 23:44, 30 March 2007 (EDT)
Hey Guild Wars Wiki! I accidentally copied a page from GuildWiki before I saw the Copyright rules on the How to Help page. I am very sorry for doing this and I have changed back the things that I copied. I was trying to help, but I will only enter in original items when I edit pages now. Sorry about this! --The preceding unsigned comment was added by User:Ibjammin44 .
- Don't worry too much about it, that kind of thing happens all the time around here these days. Thanks for helping out. :) --Dirigible 22:25, 4 April 2007 (EDT)
I want to write Korean page.
MediaWiki supports multi-lingual page, so I tried to write Korean page.
Please fix it, or show me the GW extension for Korea wiki.
- MediaWiki does support a project with different languages, but it's not set up for that here. This has been brought up before about a French and German wiki, and ANet have said that they want to see how the English wiki does first, then in time maybe they'll also open wikis in other languages.
- The ko: prefix right now is simply an interwiki link to the Korean Wiktionary, as you can see; the language prefixes are redirecting to the different language Wiktionaries (e.g. it:Ciao, fr:Bonjour). --Dirigible 10:52, 9 May 2007 (EDT)
Divinity Coast (mission)
The Divinity Coast (mission) article has 20 links to uncreated pages. I'm in the mission right now working on Eye of Janthir and Sky Quickfeather, and I've added a couple of pictures to pages that have information but no pictures. WE MUST WORK ON IT.
Agh I didn't sign againHe Who Likes Arrows 21:18, 29 June 2007 (UTC)
Isn't there a way to remove guild and user namespaces from wanted pages? They are too many, and they are completely optional. But they keep filling almost the first page of the wanted list.
what's with that candalizing, adding some letters at the top and replacing that dash? o.O - Y0_ich_halt 12:35, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
- Malfigurd spambots. Backsword 12:41, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
- ah, thanks. lol, that someone even bothers writing such a strange program o.O - Y0_ich_halt 12:44, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
I come across pages that call for an image that doesn't exist yet. I usually try to supply the image myself if I can. But is it possible to come up with a comprehensive list of images that are needed yet? I know on the old unofficial wiki they had a page like this, and it was helpful for those of us trying to contribute. I've tried searching for one on this wiki, but haven't found one yet. If a page like this does already exist, could someone direct me to it? Vidar816 20:26, 27 January 2008 (UTC)
- Category:Image needed or look around in Guild Wars Wiki:Projects -- Brains12 • Talk • 20:29, 27 January 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks Brains! Vidar816 20:30, 27 January 2008 (UTC)
Run to droks w/a
To run to droks while being a warrior/ assasain is very simple all the skillz you is deaths charge,sprint,dash,bontti's defense,and finally shadows refuge. Ones you have gotten all these skillz it will come in handy while doin the run and with bontti's defence you will not be knocked down take my advice it will work milloins of players in guild wars have tried the droks run and milloins have faild. You . —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Mazter (talk • contribs) at 14:16, 26 May 2008 (UTC).
- Bonetti's Defense for running, or even preventing kd? Don't think so. ;P —ZerphaThe Improver 14:18, 26 May 2008 (UTC)
A Place for mentioning things done especially well
I think it would be good for there to be some kind of space where users of the wiki can tell this wiki's admins what they find *is* working especially well. For example, I just wanted to tell someone that the way the Latest News box on the front page is set up right now (UTC 16:23:25) is VERY HANDY and especially helpful. In other words: please keep it! I am having a difficult time trying to figure out where I might mention that and not be putting the comment in an inappropriate place.
Offering of services
Not sure if the wiki is completely community based or if ANet takes care of it as well but I thought I would just toss out my knowledge/services (free of course). I've been developing and working with the mediawiki software for over 4 years now and know how to customize its look as well as its functions and add additional functions. This includes everything from creating templates to setting up encrypted authentications. If ANet or anyone needs help with something just shoot me a message on my talk page. Will be glad to help a community I've been a part of for many years. Ceaphus Sunrider
- This wiki is community run, though Anet is the entity supporting it. You may wish to look at Guild Wars Wiki:Helpers, and plunk down your name. I'm not sure how often that page is used any more, and I know many of those listed as helpers no longer frequent the wiki. You can also take a look at the Recent Changes page from time to time. You can sometimes catch users trying to get their coding right. Farlo for instance, was trying to get his template up and running earlier. G R E E N E R 01:10, 18 May 2011 (UTC)