From Guild Wars Wiki
- This article is about the terminology. For the chat command, see /roll.
There are three common uses of the term:
- PvP: To Roll a team means to defeat them quickly, e.g. Guild A rolled B in four minutes.
- GvG: A steamroll is a tactic by which a team focuses on killing one monk quickly then moving quickly to kill the next monk, all the while pushing the opponents closer to their base.
- Character creation: rolling a character is a synonym for character creation and/or resetting a build. For example, you can roll a new character, re-roll (i.e. recreate) an existing character, or roll a dom mesmer by focusing your attributes on Domination Magic.
- /roll was also a tactic used in Hero Battles to determine the winner before that arena was removed from the game.
- Rolling as a synonym for character creation is a historical term from pre-computer RPGs, where players literally rolled dice to determine the stats of their characters.