Stemming the Tide
|Stemming the Tide|
|Section||Kaineng City Quests|
|Given by||Attendant Yoko |
in Maatu Keep
(Click to enlarge)
The Celestial Ministry is concerned about the number of refugees fleeing the city and has asked you to convince them to return.
- Convince 5 Canthan Refugees to return to Kaineng City. You have convinced [0...5] of 5 refugees.
- See Attendant Yoko for your reward.
After accepting the quest in Maatu Keep head south through the exit to Pongmei Valley. At the bottom of the ramp there are 3 refugees. As you approach them they will wave to each other and begin walking in separate directions. There's no need to rush since they are only walking and you can easily get to all three of them pretty easily before they've gone very far. Next head a little farther south where there will be 5 more refugees who will again wave to each other and begin walking their separate ways as soon as you approach them. Just like before these are pretty easy to get to as well.
- 10 (20) Canthan Refugee
- "The Celestial Ministry is deeply concerned about the flow of refugees fleeing the city. We have the plague under control; there is nothing to fear. Convince the refugees that leaving Kaineng City is not in their best interests. Tell them to return to the city."
Refugee (when asked to come back)
- "The god's themselves could not convince me to return to that city, and you can tell the ministry I said so!"
- "The city of Cantha is safe again? Well, if the ministry says it is so, I suppose it is true... Truth be known, I would rather hear word from the emperor."
- "I do not trust anything the ministry has to say, but if you believe the city is safe, I will take your word for it. I heard from my cousin's best-friend's sister's former housemate, back when she had a house, that you were here in Cantha with Master Togo. And I know he would not lead us astray."
- "The plague took everyone I loved from me. There is nothing left for me in Cantha. If the ministry wants me to come back, they had better give me a reason to. I will return long enough to find out what sort of work the ministry might have to offer, but if you are deceiving me, you had better pray that I do not find you. My losses have left me in a foul mood."
- "I am not going back to that city. I have seen what happens to a man when the plague takes him. I refuse to end up like one of those...those things!"
- "I cannot abandon the city that raised me. It is not right that I turn my back on her. I will return. Thank you, friend."
- "Just when I thought my life in Cantha was over, you come along and tell me to return. I had resigned myself to carving a living out on the road to get as far from this place as possible. I might never have returned to Cantha had you not caught up to me and told me the news."
- "How do you know a member of the ministry is lying? His lips are moving! The ministry is good for nothing but wasting time and money. I would sooner take the word of a festering plague creature than that from a ministry representative!"
- "You have done well. Surely, if we keep this effort up no one will wish to leave the city. When people realize that the ministry has things in hand, everything will return to normal."
- The number of asked refugees does not reset itself if you re-zone, meaning you can do the quest through multiple visits of the same area.
- Creatures in the area do not attack the refugees.
- There are a total of 8 refugees, but only 5 of them will agree to come back.
- The third refugee comment above is possibly a reference to a comment made by Dark Helmet in Spaceballs.