This user is a Wikibot account of User:MisterPepe. As such, this account currently has bot user status enabled to avoid flooding the recent changes listing with massive numbers of small changes. This account, and the bot attached to it, was specifically set up to aid in cleanup and highly repetitive tasks.
If this bot is not behaving properly, or making improper edits to pages, please leave a message on this talk page. If the bot sees unread messages on its talk page, it will shut down automatically.
This bot is currently being used for the following tasks:
- The "TouchBot" function (editing a page, then saving it without making any changes) is currently being run daily on both Category:Guild articles needing cleanup and Category:Candidates for deletion to correct categories. The deletion and guild cleanup templates change after a certain period of time (7 days on the guild cleanup, 3 days on the deletion) - while the page itself changes, the page is not added to the new category until it has been null-edited. Until we get DPL installed (and rewrite the appropriate pages/templates/categories), this bot will continue to run.
- LordBiro has suggested the name "Touch Ranger" instead. I replied with the necessary groaning.
- I am still looking for a better name for this bot function. I'm considering "Herbert."
- As soon as I figure out how to use Regex (correctly), I'll be setting it up for daily runs of all Candidates for deletion to add a time/date stamp to the template.
- Periodic cleanup of Special:Doubleredirects and Special:Disambiguations.
- Pretty much all of the requests I see at Guild Wars Wiki:Projects/Editing bots - AFAIK, I'm pretty much the only person that ever actually does any of them =\
I have set this bot account to utilize two different bot programs, depending on the task at hand.
- The semi-bot mode allows for mass edits while still making it possible to check edits during the bot run. This is especially useful for changes that may differ slightly (for example, categorizing mass numbers of pages while avoiding editing disambiguation pages).
- The full-bot mode is a python-based, completely automatic (once the run is set up) version. This version has more features (such as pagemove capability and converting HTML to wikicode) and is far more customizable. This extra functionality comes at a price, however; it's much more irritating to configure due to the command line interface =P
Any non-controversial (i.e. spelling fixes or applying a formatting guideline change) or consensus-backed bot edit requests should be filed at Guild Wars Wiki:Projects/Editing bots, which also holds basic information on bots in general. A complete list of wikibot accounts can be found at Special:Listusers/Bot - as there are only three bots set up currently (one of which is used almost exclusively for setting up game integration links), it may take a little for someone to get around to setting up the bot run, but the ability to make 10+ changes per minute makes the wait worthwhile ;)
If you have any questions and/or comments, please say so on MY talk page: User talk:MisterPepe, rather than this one. I'll get back to you faster, and it'll avoid shutting down any bot runs in progress. Please, do not post on this account's talk page unless there is a reason the bot needs to be interrupted.