The Winter Dwarf was originally intended as a joke character, guarded by a Dwarf Guard, who was forced to be happy all the time. He pretends to be happy but all he really wants is to die in order to escape this life.
Look, a guard! Hello, friend guard! No worries here. I'm happy!
...Look, kid. You've got to get me out of here. This happiness thing is killing me...
Oh, the guard's back! Hi, guard! Don't worry, I'm still happy!
...Grenth have mercy, please end my suffering.
- Oh, but you look so cute!
- Filthy Human! Have you no soul? ...Happy. Yes, I'm totally freaking happy!
- I'd like to help, but I can't see a way.
- Well, if you see an opening, remember me.
- I think we both know there's only one way out, friend. Feet first. May your next life be...um...less filled with happiness. (This option will kill the Winter Dwarf)
- Grenth will bless you if you deliver his mercy.
- I'll be on my way.
- Players can freely enter and exit the cage at will, you can simply walk between the candy canes.
- Prior to the 2009 update, the cage had an actual fence preventing easy access to the Winter Dwarf. You could get into the cage by clicking on the "Please Don't Feed The Dwarf" sign while standing on the stairs. Otherwise there was no known way to get out other than switching districts or mapping out.
- Character dances that moved the character beyond the perimeter of the cage allowed characters to be killed by Grentches during the Wintersday Finale.
- The Winter Dwarf's suffering is similar to that of Jhonen Vasquez's Fillerbunny.
- A rumor began saying that by waiting by the dwarf for 10 minutes, you would receive a Wintersday hat. This rumor got so popular that many players began crowding each district trying to obtain their hat, though for the most part perpetrators of the rumor merely wore the hat from Wintersday 2005. Though the rumor quickly abated, die-hard believers could still be seen waiting for their hat.
- The line "There's only one way out, friend. Feet First." May be a reference to a line from Hannibal.