Tien the Lamplighter
From Guild Wars Wiki
- This article is about the Lion's Arch NPC. For the Shing Jea Boardwalk NPC, see Tien.
|Tien the Lamplighter|
- "Hi there. I'm Tien, and my job is to light all the lanterns we are hanging for the New Year's festival. I could use some help, if you have time. While we walk, I shall tell you a story. How does that sound?"
- "Once, a shipwreck cast ashore an entire crew and all those traveling aboard the vessel. They could not get off the island, so the people made a little village by the edge of the sea."
- "Each day they would watch and hope that a boat would see them and rescue them. There was water and food on the island, and people made huts out of straw and mud. They were happy."
- "But everyone continued to say they wanted to go home. So, a very old woman in the village began to make paper lanterns. She hung them on the edge of their dock and lit them every night."
- "On New Year's Day, a ship did come by, and it stopped at the island. All the people were happy to see the rescuers, but suddenly they realized that they did not want to leave the island anymore. They had all that they wanted, and more."
- "So, now the people of that village light their lanterns every year on New Year's to celebrate how happy they are in their new home."
- "It is an important lesson. Home is where the heart is, and sometimes you do not have to go anywhere at all to find it. Happy New Year!"