|Campaign||Eye of the North|
Location in Drakkar Lake
At the southeastern corner of Drakkar Lake your party will see a Rabbit. As you approach, the Rabbit will run down a circular warren with a beautiful pool and tree at the bottom. When the rabbit arrives at the bottom, it will come to a stop. Anyone approaching the creature will spawn several other rabbits and all of them will turn hostile. Worse, the hostile Nulfastu appears with dozens of other Vaettirs, swarming the whole area. This often results in a wipe.
However, it can sometimes be avoided by not following the Rabbit and, instead, going counterclockwise along the outer edge of the glade until reaching the north side. From this position, Nulfastu can be attacked directly before it is able to raise the Vaettirs. Once Nulfastu has been taken care of, the rest of the rabbits can be killed or simply ignored. When vanquishing, all spawned creatures must be slain, while all creatures that did not appear do not have to be killed.
The rabbit hole has a number of unusual features, likely due to the influence of Nulfastu, a corrupt nature spirit:
- It is filled with thick fog.
- It has snow-covered deciduous trees, unlike the surrounding area, which has conifers.
- The stump and adjacent stones are inscribed with spiral designs, and are surrounded by rising sparkles.
- The water glows blue.
- There are floating discs of ice along the outer edge.
- There are numerous flowers blossoming around the area.
- There is a 1 in 100 chance the vaettirs will not spawn, instead Nulfastu will spawn with only hostile bunnies to accompany it.
- There are several allusions to naively following a trail into the unknown:
- According to designer Linsey Murdock, the ambush in the Rabbit Hole took three whole days of scripting to work properly.