|Campaign||Eye of the North|
Location in Drakkar Lake
A peculiar rabbit hole exists at the southeastern corner of Drakkar Lake. At the entrance sits a white rabbit, and as you approach, the rabbit will run down a circular warren with a strange pool and tree at the bottom. When the rabbit arrives at the bottom near other rabbits, it will come to a stop. Should anyone have followed the rabbit, and all of them will turn hostile. Worse, evil nature spirit Nulfastu, Earthbound appears with dozens of other Vaettirs, swarming the whole area.
The rabbit hole has a number of unusual features:
- It has snow-covered deciduous trees, unlike the surrounding area, which has conifers.
- The stump and adjacent stones are inscribed with spiral designs, and are surrounded by rising sparkles.
- Strange liquid that glows blue.
- There are floating discs of ice along the outer edge.
- There are numerous flowers blossoming around the area.
- There is a 1 in 100 chance the vaettirs will not spawn, instead Nulfastu will spawn with only hostile bunnies to accompany it.
- Triggering the spawns can be avoided by not following the rabbit to the center and instead going counterclockwise along the outer edge of the glade until reaching the north side. From this position, Nulfastu can be attacked directly before it is able to raise the Vaettirs.
- When vanquishing, all spawned creatures must be slain, while all creatures that did not appear do not have to be killed. This makes the above trick useful in reducing how many enemies to kill.
- There are several allusions to naively following a trail into the unknown:
- According to designer Linsey Murdock, the ambush in the Rabbit Hole took three whole days of scripting to work properly.
- The strange liquid strongly resembles Jormag's corruption in Guild Wars 2, having similar visual effects and colors, and even more strongly resembles Blood of Jormag such as seen in The Bloodfield. In Guild Wars 2, Jormag is known for corrupting Spirits of the Wild, similar to how Nulfastu, a nature spirit, was corrupted by dark magic. Though any connection hasn't been confirmed.