The Beak of Darkness
|The Beak of Darkness|
|Section||Echovald Forest Quests|
|Given by||Rutger zu Heltzer |
in House zu Heltzer
Johann zu Heltzer in Ferndale
Erik Lutgardis in Melandru's Hope
Konrad Vasburg in Ferndale
Ruprecht Brauer in Drazach Thicket
Black Moa in Ferndale
Track down and put an end to the dreaded Black Moa.
- Find Johann zu Heltzer in Ferndale and speak with him about the elusive Black Moa.
- Find Erik Lutgardis in Melandru's Hope and talk to him about the mysterious Black Moa.
- Find Konrad Vasburg in Ferndale and chat with him about the cunning Black Moa.
- Find Ruprecht Brauer in Drazach Thicket and learn the whereabouts of the devious Black Moa.
- Travel to Ferndale and slay the despicable Black Moa.
- See Rutger zu Heltzer for your reward.
- Once this quest is completed, the Black Moa becomes a permanent spawn in Ferndale.
Start out from House zu Heltzer and follow the quest pointer to each of the witnesses of the Black Moa's attack and hear their statements. Once all have been visited, head out into Ferndale to finally put an end to the dreaded beast.
This quest will take the party over several areas of Echovald Forest in search of the witnesses. If you don't already have outposts unlocked there, it may take some time to do as you wander round from point to point.
The final step in finding and slaying the Black Moa is probably the most difficult part, due to the number of criss-crossing dredge patrols where the bird is located. Tread carefully and deal with the patrols before trying to kill the Black Moa.
With the previous point, the monk boss in the patrol uses fast cast spells only. Bringing Broad Head Arrow, or another dazing skill, reduces the time it takes to get to the moa considerably.
If you wish to Charm the Black Moa (see note at end of this page), it is useful to defeat all foes nearby, and if you have henchmen or heroes, flag them away. This is because when charming the Black Moa, he will become hostile, and your henchmen and heroes will attack. Also, not killing the nearby foes will cause them to also attack the Black Moa.
- 20 Black Moa
- Rutger zu Heltzer
- "I've been on edge ever since my encounter. You've heard of the Black Moa, haven't you? No? Well take a knee, stranger, and listen up! You see, it all began several months back. I was out on patrol keeping my eyes peeled for Luxon scouts. Out of nowhere, our ears filled with the shrill cries of a winged beast. Then, I blacked out...I don't remember what happened, but I regained consciousness five days later in House zu Heltzer covered in bruises and dizzy with a nasty headache. The healers said that my comrades had brought me here in a deep coma. Please, help me get revenge. Track down the Black Moa and put an end to it, once and for all. My old friend Johann zu Heltzer in Ferndale should be able to help you find it. He was with me when we were assaulted."
- Johann zu Heltzer
- "Yes, I know of the Black Moa. It's an evil creature to be sure. Some say that it roosts in the depths of the Underworld and claws its way to the surface to feed upon human flesh before returning to the pits to spawn more of its accursed offspring. I am afraid Rutger was wrong, however. I do not know where the Black Moa resides. Go to Melandru's Hope and speak with Erik Lutgardis. He was with us when the Moa attacked. Provided he hasn't purged that wretched memory from his brain, he could tell you more."
- Erik Lutgardis
- "The Black Moa, you say? I remember that awful day as if it just happened. The foul beast walked right up behind Rutger, the poor fool, and it squawked right in his ear. He fainted right there. It took all four of us to get the damned bird off him, but by the time we managed it, the bird had thrashed him silly. If you truly wish to put that abominable beast to death, I wish you well on your quest. I don't remember exactly where we encountered it, so perhaps you should talk to our friend Konrad Vasburg. He patrols Ferndale these days. He has a mind like a steel trap!"
- Konrad Vasburg
- "Who could forget that foul...er, fowl? Blood gushing from its beak like a waterfall, squawking and screaming, chaos and feathers... Yes, I remember that day in all its gory, sordid, and disgusting details. We were lucky to escape with our lives, and all of our appendages. The one detail that escapes me is the location of our attack. If you truly wish to find the Black Moa you must ask Ruprecht Brauer. [sic] If anyone knows where it lives, he does. Wanna see my scars?"
- Ruprecht Brauer
- "My name is Ruprecht Brauer. I've been on the trail of that feathered nightmare for months now, tracking its every move. I've discovered that it has a long, complex migration pattern that it follows every season. After weeks of painstaking research, I believe I've pinpointed the exact location of its nesting place in a large clearing to the north of Ferndale. [sic] Make it pay for all the suffering it has inflicted upon others. I pray for your survival."
- Rutger zu Heltzer
- "The Black Moa has been dealt with? Wonderful! I knew I could count on you! My head feels better already.
- It is possible to complete the quest if you are with a friend who has already done this. After a friend has completed this, the Black Moa will spawn for him and from there, you can tame/kill the Black Moa to easily complete the quest without going through all the steps.
- Doing some of the steps before joining someone else that has done this may affect the spawning of the Black Moa. See the next note.
- The Black Moa will not spawn in Ferndale until you have gone through each of the quest steps, and you will need to speak to each man in the order of the quest objectives.
- The Black Moa starts out as a friendly creature, and like other friendly creatures, it can be tamed. Taming the bird instead of killing it also completes the quest.
- A Luxon ambush might appear and attack the Black Moa.
- Johann zu Heltzer is closest to House zu Heltzer
- Erik Lutgardis is closest to Brauer Academy
- Konrad Vasburg is closest to Lutgardis Conservatory
- Ruprecht Brauer is closest to Brauer Academy
- The Black Moa is closest to Aspenwood Gate (Kurzick)
- For the last person you have to talk to, depending on where the Kurzick-Luxon border is, you can walk just outside of Saint Anjeka's Shrine and get killed by the Wardens there, this will then send you to the resurrection shrine right next to him.