The Show Must Go On
|The Show Must Go On|
|Given by|| Prince Bokka the Magnificent |
in Resplendent Makuun
|Preceded by||Worst. Performance. Ever.|
|Followed by||Summertime for Bokka|
Travel round Resplendent Makuun to find a new playwright and commission a script for Prince Bokka.
- Required Hero: Norgu
- Tell Theatre Manager Daudi that the prince wants another play to soothe his raging heart. And he wants one now!
- Find a playwright to pen a new script for the prince to enjoy.
- Find Sijo and convince him to write a new play for the prince.
- See Theatre Manager Daudi for your reward.
All the objectives on this quest take place in the Resplendent Makuun area.
After picking up this quest from Prince Bokka, straight away go and speak to Theatre Manager Daudi nearby to trigger the second objective. The playwright you need to find is in fact Kenyatta in the Honur Hill outpost on the west side of Resplendent Makuun. Unfortunately, Kenyatta is having a bit of writer's block and suggests that you go and find Sijo in Resplendent Makuun, from the quest pointer Sijo appears to be getting in touch with his muse up in the north-east corner of the explorable area.
However, as you find on arrival, Sijo the Stagnant has been done in (probably by the Djinn wandering nearby), but fear not, the body has a freshly written script on it! (click on the body to pickup the "Springtime for Varesh" Script quest item).
Return to Daudi with your new treasure, just remember to wipe the bloodstains off first!
Prince Bokka the Magnificent
- "<Character name>! Norgu! You must help me! I simply can't stop thinking about that horrible play that nearly cost me my life. I fear my love of theatre itself may be in jeopardy, for how can I possibly enjoy counting my riches when all I can think about is how one great pleasures of my life has been ruined? I've got it! I must commission another play immediately to erase the memory of the last one from my mind! But I have matters I must attend to here first. I need you to go in my place and tell that sniveling Theatre Manager Daudi to start work on a new production, posthaste!"
Theatre Manager Daudi
- "WHAT?! The prince wants a new play?! Oh, this is a disaster! Both my playwrights are gone and I still don't have any actors! What am I going to do? I'm doomed! I have to find a script, get some actors, hire people to build sets, have the sets build, I need to schedule rehearsals, how can I possibly do all this on my own? Please Norgu, take <Character name> with you to Honur Hill. Kenyatta and Sijo both journeyed there a few weeks ago. Maybe they'll be there and you can convince them to come back. At the very least find out where they went."
- "Help me, <Character name>, you are my only hope. I have to stay here and try to organize a crew, I can't waste time running around trying to find some temperamental crybabies! Or worse, writers! Get a script out of them any way you can and bring it back to me...I can't afford any delays!"
- "Sorry, I can't help you. I haven't had a single good idea in months. Everything I've written has been complete garbage. I am, frankly, a worthless excuse for a human being, let alone a writer. That's why I left, despite what Daudi thinks. Great gods, how I hate myself...."
- "I'm glad you showed up. Sijo left me here a few weeks ago, venturing out to "recharge his creativity" and "find his center." He's done this before, and he usually ends up wandering around the caves east of Resplendent Makuun. I keep telling him it's dangerous, but he never listens. He insists that the muse first spoke to him on one of his many adventures in his younger days, and says a little adventure may be the only way to find her again. Frankly, I'm starting to worry. Can you check up on him? I'd go myself, but I'm far too worthless. I'll just sit here banging my head against a large rock. Don't mind me."
Sijo the Stagnant
- ""Springtime for Varesh" Script acquired."
Theatre Manager Daudi
- ""Springtime for Varesh." I asked you to go find a new play for the prince and you bring THIS back?! I can't put this on for the prince. I don't care if it is the last thing that Sijo ever wrote. Besides, everyone knows that he hasn't written anything worthwhile since "CENTAURS.""
- "Then again, I'm desperate. Maybe if I change "Varesh" to "Bokka"... yes. YES! It's kind of crazy, but it JUST MIGHT WORK! The prince will never notice, especially if the play is about himself. He'll love it! LOVE IT, I tell you! I'm saved!"
- Works well with Guard Rescue.
- "The show must go on" is a well-known show business phrase, meaning that regardless of what happens (such as the lead performer breaking a leg), the show must still be put on for the waiting patrons.
- The Show Must Go On quest may also be a reference to the Queen song of the same name. Sijo was found dead near his script, similar to the way Freddie Mercury died before the song met its success.
- Springtime for Varesh is named after a musical from the movie The Producers (Springtime for Hitler).
- "Help me, [name], you're my only hope." is taken from Princess Leia's quote "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope." in the first Star Wars movie.