ArenaNet:Guild Wars 2 suggestions/MUSH style chat
|Guild Wars 2 Suggestions|
MUSH style chat (Discussion)
The chat window in Guild Wars is sadly lacking, especially for RP. It is too small for longer sentences, each time you hit enter it looses focus again and it lacks the handy pose-shortcuts MUSH games (online text RPG's) have used for years. So besides letting the chat keep focus when you type, perhaps adding these MUSH commands to the chat would be interesting. I'll give a few examples how they use these in MUSHes. To speak to other people, you have several options, as follow:
- say <whatever> , as in say Hi there, where am I? You will see this:
- You say "Hi there, where am I?"
Others will see your name prefixed, automatically:
- <Your name> says "Hi there, where am I?"
You can also use the " command:
- "Hi, where am I?
This will give the same result as the former. To do actions, or "poses", you also have two options: You can preface your action with either the word pose or with a colon :. If you use the word pose, it looks like this:
- pose tap dances across the floor in combat boots. (use a space after the word 'pose'.)
- :tap dances across the floor in combat boots.
Either of these give this return:
- <Your name> tap dances across the floor in combat boots.
If you use a colon, do not put a space after it, because the code automatically inserts one for you. If you don't want a space, so you can use apostrophes or commas or whatever with your name, use a semicolon, like this:
- ;'s eyes glow spitefully.
They see: <Your name>'s eyes glow spitefully.
Or, if not possible in general chat all of this, then a separate RP chat tab where this would work would be just as easy. Furthermore a way to make a log file from the chat window (so you can reread scenes you've RP'ed) would be invaluable.
- Why this is a good idea
- Much more flexibility in posing and chatting than having just emotes would allow.
- RP would be possible and much easier everywhere.
- Interactions could get to be a lot more immersive.
- I think RP would be a good addition to Guild Wars and the chat would help a lot and GW would probably gain more players.
- Would greatly improve cybersex experiences.
- Why it may not work out
- People would have to read through an short explanation to use these chat functions if they aren't used to them.
- Current chat system is better.