|Section||The Desolation Quests|
|Given by|| Curator Ruras |
in The Shattered Ravines
|Followed by||A New Guide|
(Click to enlarge)
Find Curator Ruras's missing guide.
 Quest information
- Find Kane.
- Rescue Kane.
- Escort Kane back to Curator Ruras.
- See Curator Ruras for your reward.
Start from the Lair of the Forgotten, and follow the quest pointer to track down the missing guide, Kane. Note that Kane is located on a rocky outcrop on the east side of The Shattered Ravines, which cannot be traveled while in wurm form. The party will find Kane under interrogation by a Margonite group when they arrive and the group will become hostile and attack the party. Once the Margonites are defeated, escort Kane back to Curator Ruras just outside the Lair of the Forgotten.
Upon initially approaching Curator Ruras, Chessa, and Larano, the following dialogue is triggered:
- Curator Ruras: "If you do not find my guide, you can forget about the money."
- Chessa: "Are you kidding me? If we go out there, we'll never come back either!"
- Larano: "Yeah, what he said!"
- Curator Ruras: "When we get back to Rin, I am going to make sure the two of you never find decent work again!"
- Chessa: "What are you going to do, write me a bad reference? Ha! That's rich!"
 Initial dialogue
- "Good day, stranger. I am Curator Ruras of the Ascalon Athenaeum in Rin. I'm on an expedition to bring back valuable antiquities and artifacts from Elona, but alas, the guide I hired, a man by the name of Kane, ran off the other day and hasn't returned. If you are looking for work, I will pay you to find him for me."
 Intermediate dialogue 1
- Margonite Cleric: "Puny human, tell me where the others are and I'll grant your soul quick release. Deny me that knowledge and your soul will know a whole new dimension of pain!"
- Kane: "I told you, I don't know what you're talking about. Let me go!"
- Margonite Cleric: "Let me reiterate: tell me where the ghosts of the other humans are located, or your soul will be devoured."
- Kane: "Arrrgh! I haven't seen who you're looking for. I'm not a ghost, and I don't know any ghosts! Get away from me!"
 Intermediate dialogue 2
- Kane: "Thank you for freeing me! Can you lead me back to safety? I have no idea where I am."
 Reward dialogue
- "He was delayed by Margonites, you say? I'm sorry, but it is a proven fact that they are a myth! Nice try. At any rate, thank you for bringing back that lazy excuse for a guide. I suppose you can have his pay for today since he obviously did not earn it."
- Hostile creatures do not attack Kane while he is being escorted back to Curator Ruras, and since he is level 20, he is unlikely to come to much harm unless the party encounter severe AoE damage.
- Although it is not necessary to use wurms to travel (since the party does not cross the Sulfurous Haze), there is a Wurm Spoor a little way south of the Lair, which can allow the party to travel part of the way as wurms should they wish to.