Experience is a measure of a character's prowess; it is awarded for killing most foes, completing missions and quests, capturing elite skills, and turning in storybooks. Once gained, experience cannot be lost. Players typically abbreviate the term as exp, XP, or (for 1000s of experience points) kXP.
Characters gain levels (up to a maximum level of 20) based on their experience, so experience indirectly affects the number of attribute points available to them. After reaching the maximum level, characters can continue to accrue experience, but the only benefit is earning additional skill points.
The basic formula for gaining a level is:
1400 + 600 * Current level. After reaching 182,600 experience points, the threshold is capped at 15,000.
|Level||Total XP||XP required for next level|
|23+ §|| 182,600 +
(level - 23) * 15,000
- § Although characters cannot gain more than 19 levels, they continue to gain skill points. It takes only 13,400 xp to gain the first skill point after maxing levels, incrementing by 600 xp until reaching the maximum 15,000 for each subsequent skill point.
Experience per foe
The amount of experience gained from killing creatures depends on three factors:
- The character's level relative to that of the foe killed.
- The number of nearby party members. Under certain circumstances, nearby NPCs can also share.
- Various experience multipliers (e.g. foes generate 50% more experience in Hard mode).
In addition, experience gain is capped at 280 points per foe before applying any multipliers.
| Monster level
|Divided between two party members|
|+11 or more||280||140|
|-6 or more||0||0|
If the slain creature was level 0:
|Character level|| Experience |
- To gain experience for a kill, an enemy has to be within your aggro radius at some point before dying. Attacking from a distance using a longbow or healing a friendly ally already fighting will also be considered as taking part in the fight.
- You do not gain experience for killing summoned allies (such as minions or spirits) nor PvE foes that have been resurrected (such as Roaring Ethers).
- The following factors increase the amount of experience gained according to the tables above:
- Bosses generate double the experience.
- Foe deaths in hard mode generate 1.5 times the experience.
- Foe deaths while under the influence of experience scrolls increase the experience gained by 1.5 to 3 times.
- Nightfall bounties double the experience gained from killing foes.
- These bonuses stack multiplicatively and are capped at 3.5x.
- Should you have accrued any, you will lose 1% of your Death Penalty for every 75 XP gained.