A boss is a creature trait of an NPC. They can be distinguished from other mobs by a colored aura and they usually have a unique name rather than a generic one. A player can use a Signet of Capture to capture non-monster skills from bosses. Most bosses, except for those encountered early in the campaigns, have elite skills which may be captured.
When a boss is slain, the party will receive a +2% Morale Boost. In addition, a boss may drop more or better loot than non-boss creatures. For example, only bosses drop experience scrolls (excluding Scroll of the Lightbringer), Elite Skill Tomes (in Hard mode), and many also drop unique items.
- Bosses from all campaigns have innate +3 health regeneration.
- In Prophecies and Eye of the North, most bosses have Natural Resistance.
- In Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North, bosses deal double damage and have halved skill activation and recharge time.
- Boss corpses persist indefinitely and only dead bosses are valid targets for Signet of Capture.
- There are blessings (e.g. Blessing of the Kurzicks, Boss Bounty, and Insect Hunt), scrolls (i.e. Scroll of Hunter's Insight and Scroll of Slayer's Insight), and skills (i.e. Signet of Capture, Technobabble) designed to check for this special trait.
- Bosses have a profession-specific colored aura surrounding them.
This table shows the correspondence between the color of the bosses' Auras and their professions.
- Killing a boss yields twice the experience compared to killing non-bosses of the same level.
- Most bosses in Prophecies share spawning locations with other bosses — you might have to rezone several times to find a specific boss.
- Most bosses are hostile, but there are several boss allies: the Veldrunner Centaur in Kodonur Crossroads, Freezie in The Strength of Snow, and Grentchus Magnus in Straight to the Heart. When they die, the party receives a standard morale boost and you can capture their skills.
- Typically, hard mode bosses use the same builds as their normal mode counterparts. (In contrast, other NPCs usually have updated builds for hard mode, even if their nearby boss uses the same build in normal mode.)
|List of Bosses by Profession|
|Lists of Bosses by Species (edit)|
|Abomination • Afflicted • Arachnid • Beast • Centaur • Charr • Demon|
|Destroyer • Devourer • Dinosaur • Dolyak • Dragon • Dredge • Dryder • Dwarf • Elemental|
|Enchanted armor • Facet • Fish • Forgotten • Gargoyle • Ghost • Giant • Golem • Grawl|
|Griffon • Harpy • Heket • Human • Hydra • Imp • Insect • Jade construct • Kappa|
|Kirin • Mandragor • Minotaur • Mummy • Mursaat • Naga • Nightmare • Ogre • Plant • Rider • Scarab|
|Shiro'ken • Skale • Skeleton • Tengu • Troll • Warden • Wurm • Zombie • Other species|