Straight to the Heart
|Straight to the Heart|
|Section||Festival Event Quests|
|Given by|| Rift Warden |
in Lion's Arch or Kamadan, Jewel of Istan
|Type|| Festival quest |
(Click to enlarge)
- Guild Wars Prophecies or Guild Wars Nightfall
- Guild Wars Eye of the North
- Must not have The Strength of Snow in your quest log.
- Speak to the Rift Warden when you are ready to assault the Secret Lair of the Snowmen. [sic]
- Roast all the snowmen.
- See the Rift Warden for your reward.
During this quest, players will be under the effects of Yuletide and have the Yuletide skill bar with Yellow Snow instead of Avalanche. You start with Grentchus Magnus and 5 randomly selected Grentches as allies.
8 groups of grentches will pop up at set points to join the grentch group and help you defeat the snowmen. If a group of grentches won’t join, you’ll have to go closer to them.
Make your way to Freezie, killing all the snowmen in your path. You can avoid the second charging group of snowmen if you’re quick to move to the side wall. The Area Map is not needed, and there is no other benefit in that section, so the group of snowmen there can also be bypassed. Thus, the "Roast all the snowmen" objective is a tad misleading. When you see the Moas, go to them directly to spawn another batch of grentches and avoid another charging group of snowmen.
There are 2 ways to go about this mission: kill snowmen one by one or try to have all of your grentches attacking the enemy.
- The first way allows you to prep for each enemy and is safer but takes much longer. Use the Hidden Rock / Snow Fort or Yellow Snow / Mega Snowball. Then step away, heal, and repeat.
- The second method uses the grentches to overwhelm the enemy. This requires that you pull the grentches into aggro range of the snowmen, exposing you to danger. You can use this to your advantage, however, by drawing the first volley of snowballs towards you and dodging them or using Ice Fort to protect against them. Drawing the snowballs helps keep your army alive which means you will kill faster. The snowmen tend to lose interest in you if you’re not attacking them and will target grentches if they’re in range.
A combination of these tactics works best; use the first for narrow areas and the second for wide areas.
- Rest before approaching the two traps as there’s an Avalanche trigger that can do 100 points of damage. It damages in a small area at the trigger point so if you’re moving then the grentches following you will be hit.
- One avalanche is on the far edge of the Moa area. The other is ??
- Be sure to collect all your grentches; some only appear as you approach their spawn points.
- The Angry Snowman holds the Dungeon Key that you’ll need to get past the locked door.
- 15 Speedy Grentch
- 15 Hasty Grentch
- 15 Frozen Grentch
- 15 Flashy Grentch
- 15 Icy Grentch
- 15 Dodgy Grentch
- 15 Veracious Grentch
- 15 Shifty Grentch
- 15 Hungry Grentch
- 15 Sacrificial Grentch
- 15 Sneaky Grentch
- 15 Bustling Snowman
- 15 Cordial Snowman
- 15 Glimmering Snowman
- 12 Angry Snowman
- 15 Chilled Snowman
- 15 Playful Snowman
- 15 Industrious Snowman
- 15 Impeccable Snowman
- 15 Blessed Snowman
- 15 Grumpy Snowman
- 15 Mischievous Snowman
- 15 Pious Snowman
- 15 Roguish Snowman
- 15 Rotund Snowman
- 15 Snowman
- 19 Freezie
- "Grenth's followers have located the secret lair where Dwayna's intolerable snowmen dwell. We must strike a great blow to Dwayna and roast those frosty, and annoyingly cheerful creatures, thus insuring Grenth's domination over Wintersday. Will you show your dedication to Grenth and rid us of these annoying irritants?"
- "Are you ready to assault the Secret Lair of the Snowmen? You will be separated from your party for the duration of this task. Once at the lair, you must roast the snowmen before Dwayna can send reinforcements. Are you ready?"
Grentchus Magnus: We must clear out those snowmen before Dwayna realizes we've found their lair. Hurry!
Glimmering Snowman: They found our secret lair! Snowmen, to arms!
Mischievous Snowman: Those who leave muddy bootprints in these hallowed halls do not leave alive. They leave...on ice!
Industrious Snowman: None dare enter our secret ice lair! You shall meet the same frigid fate as the Dwarf King!
Freezie: The Grentches are here!
Freezie: Give it all you've got snowmen we must prevail!
- "Word of your service have already spread throughout the Underworld. Perhaps Grenth will emerge victorious with you on his side."
- If Grentchus Magnus dies he will respawn but only if no enemies are near.
- It is not necessary to defeat all the Snowmen, only to defeat Freezie's group.
- Completing this quest will cause a Wintersday Chest to spawn.
- The Grenchies follow you around. They are allies, but not in your party, and will not engage snowmen unless attacked or they come into range. If you engage the snowmen at long range, the grenchies will not be aggroed and will not help. This means you need to get closer to the snowmen than snow-ball range, in order to get them to engage the snowmen.
- Always pre-cast Hidden Rock and Yellow Snow so your next Snowball causes knock down, Daze, and Disease.
- Alternatively, hit and run tactics can be used in many places to preserve Grenches for other battles. For instance, Hidden Rock, move in and Snowball, sidestep left or right (Q or E key), Snowball twice, sidestep, Snowball. Also Hidden Rock, Snowball, Mega Snowball, Snowball, Snowball when available. For enemies that move it is often best to use Yellow Snow and start retreating, pulling all of the aggro into the disease. It is possible to beat this mission without using Ice Fort or Sno Cone this way, but much faster to use mixed tactics.
- Snowmen near the Angry Snowmen can be pulled away from the traps in groups of two (zig-zag as you retreat). The traps can cause disease and pulling them allows for the Grenchies to heal, as well.
- The Grenchies die easily. Once you engage a group of snowmen, you should use Ice Fort or dance back and forth in order to keep aggro and let the Grenchies do the killing, without them getting targeted often.
- Dying in the quest does not add deaths to your character. This quest is "Survivor Friendly".
- A "MISSION FAILED: You were plowed by snowmen" message appears if the mission was failed.
- The snowmen in this mission drop Candy Cane Shards more reliably than the Grenches in The Strength of Snow, and you can get about 30 in one run even while avoiding as many snowmen as possible.
- This quest was introduced in Wintersday 2007.
- The name of the quest is possibly a reference to the song by Toto with the same name.
- The accept dialogue is possibly a reference to The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
- The decline dialogue "You're as cold as ice" is a reference to a song of the same name by Foreigner.
- Prior to Wintersday 2010, this quest awarded 5 Candy Cane Shards instead of Wintersday Gifts.