The Strength of Snow
|The Strength of Snow|
|Section||Festival Event Quests|
|Given by|| Rift Warden |
in Lion's Arch or Kamadan, Jewel of Istan
|Type|| Festival quest |
(Click to enlarge)
 Quest information
- Guild Wars Prophecies or Guild Wars Nightfall
- Guild Wars Eye of the North
- Must not have Straight to the Heart in your quest log.
- Speak to the Rift Warden when you are ready to defend the secret lair of the snowmen.
- Join Freezie's forces to defend the secret lair of the snowmen.
- Defend the secret lair of the snowmen from the attacking grenches.
- See Rift Warden for your reward.
Along the route, various Snowmen and Grentches will battle each other; most of these can be safely ignored: victorious Snowmen will run to the starting area (and disappear) and only a few of the surviving Grentches might chase you. This allows you to rush towards Freezie, delaying only to deal with the Grentches in five spots. It takes less than 3 minutes to run to the end without stopping.
For the final battle, you can participate in the fight or move yourself to a safe spot and wait it out (the Snowmen always win...eventually). You will receive a morale boost the first time Freezie dies.
There are a variety of tactics that work to get past the five trouble spots; the most important is to prepare a Hidden Rock (skill #4) when you spawn and once after every successful battle. You can run past most of these using a speed boost (e.g. the Warrior shout, "Let's Get 'Em!"), or by snaring foes using Avalanche (skill #5). Alternatively, some players find it easier to fight, primarily by spamming Snowball (skill #1); if you hit with your Hidden Rock on the first attack, the Grentch is half dead before they can get off any of their own skills.
- The first pop-up Grentch spawns about a short distance after the second Snowmen vs Grentch fight.
- Two Grentches battle two Snowmen just after the first bridge. This can be difficult since the Grentch often win: get in your first attack and immediately activate an Ice Fort (skill #7). This gives you enough protection to kill one of your opponents and build enough adrenaline to power a Mega Snowball, which should be enough to help you defeat the second.
- The next Grentch pops-up around the corner. You can run past or easily defeat this one if your first attack includes a Hidden Rock.
- There is another pop-up at the bottom of a slope just before a gate and after the largest battle along the route.
- The final pop-up is around the corner.
These last two Grentches are hostile to the ones that spawn to attack Freezie — you can pull the last two to help in the final battle.
The safest approach for the end-fight is to run to the left side of the nearby gate and wait it out; this takes anywhere from 8 to 13 minutes. Alternatively, you can join in the fray as long as you remember to step back as soon as the Grentches start outnumbering the Snowmen, otherwise your foes are likely to gang up on you.
- 15 Mischievous Snowman
- 15 Roguish Snowman
- 15 Bustling Snowman
- 15 Glimmering Snowman
- 15 Chilled Snowman
- 15 Industrious Snowman
- 15 Impeccable Snowman
- 15 Blessed Snowman
- 19 Freezie
- 15 Sneaky Grentch
- 15 Tricky Grentch
- 15 Speedy Grentch
- 15 Hasty Grentch
- 15 Frozen Grentch
- 15 Grentch
- 15 Flashy Grentch
- 15 Icy Grentch
- 15 Dodgy Grentch
- 15 Shifty Grentch
 Initial dialogue
- "Grenth's forces have located the snowmen's secret base and are staging an attack. If they are successful, there will be no snowmen to defend the just and the innocent. The grentches will be unopposed in their capers! Dwayna beseeches you to defend the snowmen and save Wintersday...for the children.
- For the children!"
- Accept: "For the children!"
- Decline: "For eggnog!"
- "Are you ready to defend the Secret Lair of the Snowmen? You will be separated from your party for the duration of this task. You must protect the snowmen at all costs. Are you ready?"
 Intermediate dialogue
- Freezie: "The grentches are here!"
 Reward dialogue
- "The grentches have been routed and Wintersday is saved! Please take these gifts to spread joy and happiness around the world this Wintersday."
- There are no resurrection shrines available; if you die, the quest fails.
- Deaths in this area do not count against the Survivor title track.
- This is a good place to farm Candy Cane Shards; typically 8–12 drop in the final battle alone (although some have found up to 18).
- The Wintersday Chest spawns as soon as Grentchus Magnus and his mob dies, even if there are other Grentches still alive.
- It takes at least 11 minutes to repeat this quest (including accepting the reward and rezoning to retake the quest):
- You can reach Freezie in 2:47 minutes, the fastest time without using "Let's Get 'Em!".
- The end-fight takes at least 8 minutes if you do not help the Snowmen.
- The fastest way to repeat this quest is to visit your Guild Hall and return (after accepting the reward); the Rift Warden cannot offer the quest again until you rezone. You can also save a few seconds by starting from Kamadan and exiting the area via campaign travel (via the ship icon); this places you closer to the Rift Warden than you would be if you waited out the timer.
- A "MISSION FAILED: The Secret Lair of the Snowmen has fallen to Grenth's forces" message appears if the mission was failed.