Wintersday 2007: Annual Battle between Grenth and Dwayna
- Wintersday approaches, can you all see the signs?
- The grentches and snowmen will all soon align.
- For a battle in the end is what we all face;
- To decide the wintry fate of the whole human race.
- Dwayna and Grenth will vie for our favor;
- Through threats and presents of a wintergreen flavor.
- In the end one shall win, one shall surely prevail;
- And the length of the winter is the final detail.
- So stock up on snowballs and clear all your packs;
- For gifts of all sorts will rain down on your backs.
- And if you should see a small urchin or three;
- Remember the spirit of the season—'Tis better to give than receive.
Wintersday is almost upon us. That time of year when the gods Dwayna and Grenth fight over who will control the weather during the coming months. Will Grenth have his way and plunge the world into eternal winter or will Dwayna be able to melt enough hearts to bring about an early thaw? You will have the final say as the gods vie for your vote during the grand finale.
The Wintersday event begins at Noon Pacific time (-8 GMT) on Friday, December 21, 2007 and runs for 12 days. During the event, the cities of Kamadan, Lion's Arch, Droknar's Forge, and Ascalon City will shine like beacons in the winter night sky with festive Wintersday decorations, while holiday NPCs walk the streets lending their holiday spirit to this jolly season. Visitors to these four cities will be invited to participate in special holiday quests, missions, and games, all with their own rewards. And don't be surprised if a snowball fight breaks out before the end of the festival.
In addition those activities, the Wintersday grand finale will take place in Lion's Arch and Kamadan every three hours during Wintersday itself. The first finale will begin at 12:01 AM Pacific on Tuesday, January 1, 2008, and the final event will begin at 12:01 AM on Wednesday, January 2, 2008.
So, mark your calendars and be sure to show up for another special Wintersday event in the world of Guild Wars. It promises to be the event of the season!
|Thursday, December 20th||Towns are redecorated|
|Friday, December 21st, noon PST||Start of the event, NPCs appear, including Wintersday Priests, all quest givers except Rift Wardens and some collectors.|
|Saturday, December 22nd, ~4 AM PST||Additional NPCs appear, including more collectors.|
|Saturday, December 22nd, ~2 PM PST||Additional NPCs appear, including Candysmiths, Rift Wardens and Wintersday Gift Givers.|
|Monday, December 24th||Additional NPCs, including Grentches, appear, presents start spawning.|
|Tuesday, January 1st, 12:01 AM PST||Start of the first finale.|
|Wednesday, January 2nd, 12:01 AM PST||Start of the last finale.|
|Thursday, January 3rd||End of the event, Festival Hat NPCs start making Ice Crowns and Wreath Crowns for anyone.|
|Tuesday, January 8th, noon PST||Festival Hat NPCs revert to their normal behaviour of only making hats they have been shown.|
|Thursday, January 10, 2008||Towns restored to their regular appearance.|
 Wintersday grand finaleWintersday 2006.
The Wintersday Finale was similar to Nine Rings at the Shing Jea Boardwalk but with Candy Cane Shards instead of Festival Tickets. Playing this game counted towards your Lucky and Unlucky title tracks.
TIP: After a God wins the Finale and presents begin to spawn, it was advisable to move away from the central area where the Finale game took place (aka the area with the rings) if one is keen on picking up as many gifts as possible. Presents will always spawn near the character they are reserved for, so standing away from other players will make it easier to locate yours.
 Festival hats
On the final days, the rival gods Grenth and Dwayna called upon the people of the town for their support. The God with the most followers, rewarded the people of the town with a festival hat. Followers of Grenth stood upon the red rings, and the followers of Dwayna upon the green or blue rings.
- The victory of Dwayna will give every player a Wreath Crown.
- The victory of Grenth will give every player an Ice Crown.
- The festival hats can also be obtained from Festival Hat NPCs until noon PST (8 PM GMT) on Tuesday, January 8th.
|Wreath Crown||Ice Crown|
 Holiday events
Even before the grand finale, wherein Dwayna and Grenth promise the crowds gifts to gain their favor, Wintersday provided many opportunities for wintry fun and presents.
- The return of two well-known Wintersday quests, which give you the chance to side with Grenth and his grentches or Dwayna and her snowmen before their final showdown. Unsure which deity to support? Try both quests to pick your favorite!
- The return of two quest chains unveiled in 2006 involving polar bears, reindeer, and devious presents—oh my!
- Two new repeatable quests set in the (previously) Secret Lair of the Snowmen. Help save the snowmen, and all of Wintersday, or lead a group of grentches in for a final "bah, humbug" of the season; it's your choice.
- Venture into the Underworld for a series of repeatable snowball fights against the forces of Grenth or the forces of Dwayna. Take control of piles of presents to ensure your side's victory in this frosty fray.
- For another dose of snowball mayhem, try out the PvP snowball fight. Random forces will unite within an arena to fight for either Grenth or Dwayna. The first team to gather five presents for its patron deity wins the day.
- And, if you believe the old adage that it is better to give than to receive, try your hand at the city event game in Lion's Arch, Droknar's Forge, Kamadan, and Ascalon City during the festivities. Deliver presents to the children before the grentches destroy Wintersday. You never know, the little urchins might reward you with something special for your generosity.
- Grandfather Kringle Quests
- Elder Skruuj Quests
- In Grenth's Defense
- You're a Mean One, Mr. Grenth
- Straight to the Heart - Eye of the North required
- The Strength of Snow - Eye of the North required
- Priest Erwin (2 Ornate Grawl Necklaces)
- Priestess Clara (3 Charr Carvings)
- Necromancer Malaise (2 Singed Gargoyle Skulls)
- Necromancer Ichibaun (2 Stormy Eyes)
- Priestess Siara (1 Shadowy Remnants)
- Necromancer Kalvori (2 Hardened Humps)
- Dark Priest Calmein (2 Feathered Caromi Scalps)
- Priest Meran (3 Decayed Orr Emblems)
- Terum the Tonic Maker (1 Glob of Frozen Ectoplasm)
- Dark Priest Shadowvein (2 Frigid Hearts)
- Dark Priestess Velna (1 Dredge Manifesto)
- Abbot Silverbeard (3 Stone Summit Badges)
- Acolyte Rockhammer (1 Frozen Remnant)
- Monk Sutoni (3 Sentient Roots)
- Priestess Mahni (3 Copper Shillings)
- Necromancer Dunbari (3 Juvenile Termite Legs)
- Dark Priest Bandeh (2 Silver Bullion Coins)
- Tina the Tonic Maker (1 Glob of Frozen Ectoplasm)
 Wintersday NPCs
- Candysmith Coldstone - Kamadan
- Candysmith Kris - Lion's Arch
- Candysmith Noel - Ascalon City
- Wintersday Gift Giver
- Winter Dwarf
 Holiday rewards
In addition to the seasonally appropriate headwear you could receive from Dwayna or Grenth at the end of the grand finale, here are some other gifts and items that were available during the Wintersday festival:
|Wintersday Gift: What surprise will you find inside? Unwrap it to find out.|
|Winter Gift: What surprise will you find inside? Unwrap it to find out.|
|Snowman Summoner: Need an instant snowman? This gift is for you.|
|Eggnog: The holiday season's staple drink.|
|Spiked Eggnog: A more potent glass of 'nog for the hale and hearty. Please imbibe responsibly—don't drink and quest.|
|Wintergreen Candy Cane: The return of the adventurer's favorite candy treat.|
|Peppermint Candy Cane: The max return of the adventurer's favorite candy treat.|
|Rainbow Candy Cane: A different flavor of candy cane that should also make long days of questing more enjoyable.|
|Yuletide Tonic: Drink this tonic if you want to be one of Dwayna's little helpers during the festivities.|
|Globs of Frozen Ectoplasm: You'll need some of this collectible item when you get low on Yuletide Tonic.|
|Fruitcake: Another holiday staple that is sure to put a spring in your step.|
|Candy Cane Shards: Collect these colorful fragments by questing and competing. The outcome of Wintersday could hang in the balance. Besides, you never know what somebody might trade for them, (but you might want to hold onto your shards until the finale, and use them for good…or mischievous…intent).|
|Wreath Crown: The Lovely Festival Hat you gain if Dwayna is the winner of the event in your District.|
|Ice Crown: The Cold and Icy Festival Hat you gain if Grenth is the winner of the event in your District.|
|Miniature Polar Bear: Rare drop from Wintersday Chest.|
 See also
|Canthan New Year||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|April Fools' Day||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|Anniversary Celebration||2nd • 3rd • 4th • 5th • 6th • 7th • 8th • 9th onward|
|Dragon Festival||2006 • 2007 (Redux) • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|Wintersday in July||2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|Halloween||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 (Redux) • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|Wintersday||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 (Redux) • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 onward|
|Other annual events|| Breast Cancer Awareness Month • Lucky Treats Week • Pirate Week |
Special Treats Week • Sweet Treats Week • Wayfarer's Reverie
|One-time only events||Day of the Tengu • Farewell to Gaile|