It's time for Wintersday, that joyous time of year when towns glimmer with festive decor, vendors offer seasonal treats, and the hearts of Tyrians everywhere are filled with goodwill.
This year we're offering two brand new Wintersday costumes that represent the Tyrian gods Lyssa and Kormir. As always, the towns of Lion's Arch, Droknar's Forge, Ascalon City, Kamadan, and the Eye of the North will be decked out in Wintersday decorations. Visitors to Lion's Arch, Kamadan, and the Eye of the North will be invited to participate in holiday quests, missions, and games, all with their own rewards.
|Thursday, December 15th, 2011, noon||Thursday, December 15th, 2011, 20:00||Start of the event.|
| Sunday, January 1st, 2012, 12:01 am until
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 12:01 am
| Sunday, January 1st, 2012, 08:01 until
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 08:01
| Finales every 3 hours.|
(See accompanying chart.)
|Monday, January 2nd, 2012, noon||Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 20:00||End of the event.|
| UTC / GMT|
(24 hr format)
|6:01 pm|| 02:01|
|9:01 pm|| 05:01|
| 12:01 am
The Wintersday grand finale runs every 3 hours starting at 12:01 am PST on Sunday, January 1st, 2012, and ending 12:01 am PST on Monday, January 2nd, 2012, in Lion's Arch. Finales also take place in Kamadan, starting 15 minutes later.
The finale involves a mini-game similar to Nine Rings at the Shing Jea Boardwalk, but the price is Candy Cane Shards instead of Festival Tickets. Playing this game counts towards your Lucky and Unlucky title tracks.
Each round costs 1 Candy Cane Shard. Players standing in the winning ring receive a Wintersday Gift and three, four, or five shards (depending on whether one stands on the center, edge, or corner rings respectively) plus an equal number of Lucky points. Those standing on an adjacent ring receive two shards and two Lucky points; everyone else receives 1 Unlucky point.
At the end of the finale, approximately a dozen Wintersday Gifts will be added to everyone's inventory, regardless of whether they played the mini-game or not. The gifts appear about once a minute for 15 minutes, so remain in the district until the winning deity says farewell and leaves.
 Festival hats
- Acquisition during finale
During each finale, the rival gods Grenth and Dwayna will call upon the people of the town for their support. The God with the most followers will reward the people of the town with a festival hat. Followers of Grenth stand upon the red rings, and the followers of Dwayna upon the green or blue rings.
To ensure that you get a particular hat, make sure the district you're in is likely to support the relevant god:
- Change districts until you find one that has obviously more supporters on the appropriate sets of rings.
- Arrive early: players are unlikely to receive any hats if they join districts that are created after the local finale has begun.
- You do not need to play the mini-game to win; everyone in the district (at the appropriate moment) will receive a hat, including those who supported the opposing god.
- Acquisition via collector
| Festive Winter Hood 1
| Stylish Scarves2|
- 1 The hood is dyeable.
- 2 The scarves cannot be dyed. However, you receive all three at once.
 Decorated outposts
 New PvP mini-game
 Returning features
- Holiday quests in Lion's Arch, Kamadan, and the Eye of the North! We’re bringing back popular quest chains that capture the spirit of the season.
- 8v8 ATS-style Snowball Tournaments!
- Two repeatable quests set in the Secret Lair of the Snowmen. It's your choice: help save the Snowmen and all of Wintersday, or lead a group of Grentches for a final "Bah, humbug!" of the season.
- Venture into the Underworld for a series of repeatable snowball fights against the forces of Grenth or the followers of Dwayna. Seize control of piles of presents to claim victory for your side in this frosty fray!
- Holiday headgear! Continuing an annual tradition, you can earn one of two special Wintersday masks for participating in the annual Grenth vs. Dwayna holiday event!
- PvP snowball fights! Random forces unite within an arena to fight for either Grenth or Dwayna. The first team to gather five presents for its patron deity wins the day. Will Grenth have his way and plunge the world into eternal winter, or will Dwayna be able to melt enough hearts to bring about an early thaw?
- Complete Snowball Dominance to unlock the Jingle Bear and White Jingle Moa in Gwen's garden.
- Grandfather Kringle
- Elder Skruuj
- Lion's Arch and Kamadan, Jewel of Istan
- Priestess of Melandru
- Rift Warden
- See also: Wintersday#NPCs
The collectors for Candy Cane Shard and Globs of Frozen Ectoplasm remain for several days after Wintersday is over.
 Guild versus Guild
|NPC||Red Team||Blue Team|
|Footman and Knight|
The opposing Guild Lord drops 10 Wintersday Gifts for each player of the winning team when he dies. To prevent exploitation, no rewards are offered if (a) the match ends after 28 minutes without either side killing a Guild Lord or (b) the battle ends in under 5 minutes (e.g. due to one team resigning or zoning).
In addition to the seasonally appropriate festival hats that you can receive from Grenth or Dwayna at the end of a finale, you can also obtain these Wintersday items:
|Frosty Summoning Stone: Nobody should be alone on Wintersday! Use this item to summon a Snowman ally!|
|Mischievous Summoning Stone: Summon a Grentch ally to help you celebrate Wintersday, Grenth-style.|
|Frosty Tonic: Don't just build a snowman—BE a snowman!|
|Mischievous Tonic: Get in touch with your inner Grentch by taking on the outer appearance of one!|
|Wintersday Gift: What surprise will you find inside? Don't ask us—unwrap it and find out!|
|Snowman Summoner: Your very own snowman—without all the tedious snowball rolling!|
|Eggnog: The official beverage of Wintersday!|
|Spiked Eggnog: A more potent nog for the hale and hearty. Fear not; there are no actual spikes in the drink!|
|Wintergreen Candy Cane: The candy of choice for adventurers everywhere!|
|Rainbow Candy Cane: A fancy, flavorful candy cane that makes long days of questing more enjoyable.|
|Peppermint Candy Cane: Another different flavor of candycane, making adventures much more bearable.|
|Yuletide Tonic: Drink this tonic and become one of Dwayna's little helpers!|
|Globs of Frozen Ectoplasm: Trade these globs for Yuletide Tonic from a holiday vendor!|
|Fruitcake: Everyone loves fruitcake...or they should! This holiday staple will put a spring in your step.|
|Candy Cane Shards: Collect these colorful fragments during quests [sic] and competitions. Hoard them for the grand finale, have a candysmith forge the shards into a weapon, or trade them and see what you can get in exchange!|
|Miniature Polar Bear: Help the Snowmen or Grentches in their two quests and maybe you'll get a little treat at the end!|
Every year we offer festive Wintersday costumes, and 2011 is no different! Pick up these two all-new costumes—the Augur of Kormir costume and the Vision of Lyssa costume—at the Guild Wars In-Game Store and the NCsoft Store today! Get yours now!
Augur of Kormir
Vision of Lyssa
- Unlike previous Wintersday events, there was no corresponding Wintersday Art Contest.
- This was the first Wintersday event to not have the grentch activity in Ascalon City, Droknar's Forge, Lion's Arch, and Kamadan.
|Canthan New Year||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|April Fools' Day||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|Birthday Celebration||2nd • 3rd • 4th • 5th • 6th • 7th • 8th|
|Dragon Festival||2006 • 2007 (Redux) • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012|
|Wintersday in July||2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012|
|Halloween||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 (Redux) • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012|
|Wintersday||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 (Redux) • 2010 • 2011 • 2012|
|Other annual events|| Lucky weekend • Special Treats Weekend • |
Sweet Treat Weekend • Talk Like a Pirate Event
|One-time only events||Day of the Tengu • Farewell to Gaile • Wayfarer's Reverie|