Resigning is a player-controlled mechanism that allows the party to leave a mission or explorable area as a group and without additional penalty. All player members of the party must use the special command,
/giveup before the party leader receives the prompt to return the group to the last visited outpost/town.
- In PvE, party members (including heroes) will appear to die. However, there is no associated Death Penalty and resignation never affects progress towards the Survivor title. While in an Eye of the North mission which starts from an explorable area, resigning will place the party back in the explorable area (near the NPC that sent the party into the mission) instead of an outpost/town and remove all Death Penalty.
- Leaving via resigning from Alliance Battles or Rollerbeetle Racing automatically results in dishonor points.
- If a party resigns from Alliance Battles, Fort Aspenwood or the Jade Quarry, the resigning party is still awarded an amount of Imperial faction based on their score at the time of resignation.
Red Resign and Red Resign Day are unofficial names for the informal agreement to manipulate the outcome of various PvP matches in which the red team resigns as soon as possible after the match begins. Since the colors are randomly assigned, this theoretically allows everyone to share equally in any benefits, for example accruing a sufficient number of wins or consecutive wins in order to complete a quest or earn Zaishen Strongboxes or other rewards.
ArenaNet has repeatedly stated that any form of match manipulation, including red resign, is against the End-user License Agreement and will result in appropriate penalties, most likely an account ban. Despite this, the practice has periodically been widespread.
- If your party entered an explorable area through a portal from an outpost/town, your party will spawn next to the portal for that same explorable area in the (last visited) outpost/town after resigning by following these steps:
- After doing step 1 once, your party will spawn next to that portal in the outpost/town every time the party resigns until the party map travels. This method is usually used to rezone quickly after farming an explorable area (e.g. farming the Raptor cave).
- In PvP, the /resign and /giveup commands will not work for the first five minutes of a match. It also affects Isle of the Nameless (PvP) even though it is not a match and the message that appears states "You cannot resign from this PvP match until enough time has elapsed."
- The September 25, 2014 update introduced the prevention of resigning in the first five minutes of a PvP match.