The Jade Quarry
- This article is about the competitive mission. For the quests and outposts, see The Jade Quarry (disambiguation).
|The Jade Quarry|
|Region||The Jade Sea|
- 1 Access
- 2 Mission information
- 3 General description
- 4 General mechanics and win condition
- 5 NPCs
- 6 Dialogue
- 7 Notes
- 8 Trivia
Control the jade quarries.
- Be the first team to score 10 points, or score more points than your opponent before 15 minutes have elapsed.
- Claim quarries to begin collecting jade.
- Protect your team's jade carriers.
- [No one controls / Kurzicks control / Luxons control] the Green quarry.
- [No one controls / Kurzicks control / Luxons control] the Purple quarry.
- [No one controls / Kurzicks control / Luxons control] the Yellow quarry.
- Imperial faction that is awarded at the end of a match:
- Each team receives 300 for each jade slab collected.
- The winning side receives an additional 1,000.
- Players receive 10 Imperial faction plus 10 Balthazar faction per kill in real time.
The Jade Quarry is a resource control arena that is fought between the Luxons and Kurzicks. There are three resource points known as quarries, from where jade is carried back to the base of Luxons or Kurzicks. When a faction gains control over a quarry, a Hauler Turtle will arrive if taken by the Luxons, or a Carrier Juggernaut if taken by the Kurzicks.
General mechanics and win condition
- The first team to transfer ten jade slabs back to their base, or have the most jade captured if time runs out, wins the match.
- Each team consists of eight players that are randomly assembled by those entering from the Jade Quarry (Kurzick) and the Jade Quarry (Luxon) staging areas of all districts.
- The map is balanced so that neither side has an advantage over the other. The three quarries are positioned (and colored) as follows: Purple quarry is closest to the Kurzicks, Green quarry is closest to the Luxons, and Yellow quarry is of equal distance from either side. There are a number of guard posts that are situated on the map which may be taken to assist or hinder the passage of players and jade carriers.
- All players resurrect automatically in their base and do not receive Death Penalty. Each base has three one way teleporters that are labeled for each quarry. These teleporters will take you to a location that is somewhat close to the quarry for which it is labeled.
Quarries and guard posts can be controlled by either faction.
At the start quarries are unclaimed, the first side that gets a player stand on its stone platform gains control.
- Five NPCs are protecting: one Ranger, two Mesmers and two Elementalists. In order to gain control over one of these spots, all enemy NPCs occupying that area must be killed. Then, allied NPCs will spawn and guard that area for your side.
The closer guard post will have:
- Two rangers if controlled near enemy base.
- Four rangers if controlled near ally base.
All other guard posts have:
- Three rangers always.
- Capturing Quarries and guard posts
It is vital to quickly turn quarries and guard posts to your side, without quarries your team will not score any points.
- To keep track on your side's status, have the U map open and extended enough to see the whole arena flags.
- Area of effect (AoE) spells, attacks and skills (ex.Ray of Judgment) are particularly effective.
- NPCs do not heal themselves and do not scatter far enough to effectively avoid area of effect damage.
- Quarry mesmers use interrupts, so be prepared.
- When capturing guard posts, hide next to walls where ranged NPCs obstructed view won't hit you.
- If you and your team are unable to capture, go to another point which isn't as heavily defended or you will all be wasting time.
- The main focus is to ensure control over a majority of the NPCs, so that they can perform the tasks needed for your team to win. Killing the defending NPCs or jade carriers are your priorities.
- When playing offense, don't attack opposing players unless they are directly impeding your ability to capture a quarry, a guard post or a carrier.
- NPCs at a quarry spawn in a "V" shape. When using area of effect skills, target the central NPC for better efficiency. If already dispersed by previous attacks, they may be arranged differently.
- If a quarry is taken by your side when the opposing carrier was on its way, it will return to its base. When this happens do not kill it, as it will waste more time returning to base and then restarting. If killed, it will "spawn" again at the quarry saving itself one trip.
- Keep the jade carriers safe, your team will not score if it doesn't arrive at base. Escort it on the way back unless you are 100% sure it will not be attacked.
- Ensure the guard post between a quarry and the base is held by your team's NPCs. This will prevent the carrier from taking damage and also help protect the carrier from enemies that try to kill it.
- Because this is a large map where timing matters, speed boosts for yourself and/or player/NPC allies are considered useful. Skills such as: "Make Haste!", Windborne Speed and "Fall Back!" (PvP) work well.
- To ensure victory: Either secure two out of three quarries or hinder the rival's carrier. If a quarry you generally defend is safe, go and attack other quarries or NPCs to keep them busy.
- Death, in some cases, may result a positive form of energy management and also a way to step back and reassess the situation to be of better use.
Generally speaking, there are four ways you can help your team to win. Nuking, intercepting, and healing, or a combination of these. Kill scores have no effect.
- AoE players make capturing quarries and guard posts their main priority. Popular and effective are:
- Monks can capture with one Smiting Prayers 16 Ray of Judgment (RoJ) and also play a part-time healer.
- Fire Elementalists have advantage over RoJ Monks, because they have more than one spell to continue attacking even if their primary spell was interrupted/diverted. They usually use burning (with skills such as Mind Burn or Mark of Rodgort) to counter the high armor against elemental damage of rangers NPCs.
- Bombers have stealth and surprise if executed properly plus re-spawning benefit which shortens their travels.
- Barrage or Incendiary Arrow Rangers have multiple advantages. Can attack from high grounds while quarry NPCs cannot attack back. Furthermore, Rangers have access to interrupts (Distracting Shot) which can prevent rivals capturing team controlled quarries and guard posts. Also slowing down adversaries and carriers (Pin Down).
- Mesmers have AoE damage with Chaos Storm and Arcane Echo, as well as interrupt skills.
- Intercepters are mostly melee players with knock down skills who kill single targets preventing their performance, likely either of the other two mentioned.
- A camping healer can protect a quarry the entire time (Heal Area). If having difficulty to protect multiple NPCs, focus healing on one NPC only. Popular and effective healers are Monks with Zealous Benediction or Word of Healing. By contrast, part-time healers can keep quarry NPCs alive while also escorting jade carriers back to base ("Make Haste!" and "Fall Back!" (PvP)).
Warriors are extremely weak in Jade Quarry due to the height difference, cripple and snares which are very common. They have very few defense against health degeneration and armor-ignoring damage which are also very popular. They can however try to intercept using skills such as Bull's Strike and sometimes capture shrines with Hundred Blades (they can easily survive heavy assault from rangers NPCs).
Bow users are at ease in Jade Quarry due to the height difference. A longbow or flatbow can be used to attack the quarry NPCs from high ground while leaving them unable to counter-attack. This is particularly effective with Barrage or Incendiary Arrows. Intercepting players and carriers is also rather easy (Favorable Winds or Read the Wind can help dealing with kiting foes) with Melandru's Shot, Pin Down or Crippling Shot, spreading troublesome conditions such as Cripple, Bleeding and Poison. Defensive stances, skills such as Troll Unguent and Antidote Signet allows for a high survivability. Shadow stepping in shrines and using Whirling Defense is also possible to regain height advantage. Some rangers may sometimes use traps to deal medium damage, apply cripple and bleeding, cause knockdown easily and at the least expected moment.
Monks can fully protect one quarry versus several foes with Heal Area while camping in it (or at the back). They can also choose to protect a single NPC in order to keep control over the quarry or the shrine. Healing and Restful Breezes can help recover health outside of combat, "Fall Back!" and "Make Haste!" are often staples used to speed up carriers. Beware not to stand still for too long in one place or the game will think you are a leecher and may end up with Dishonorable even if performed your job. Ray of Judgement is a must if you consider trying to capture a shrine or a quarry
Skills that require corpses are effective here (all wells and minions summoning skills), since there are up to five corpses available at a guard post or quarry after it is captured. Health degeneration skills, especially Rotting Flesh or Life Transfer are very powerful. Curses necromancers can pose a threat to players with weakness and hexes, especially physical such as rangers. Soul Reaping benefit from the high number of deaths per minute.
Mesmers will find Wastrel's Worry and Wastrel's Demise to be very efficient here against carriers since those almost never use skills. They can also intercept players rather easily, interrupting dangerous AoE skills such as RoJ with skills such as Psychic Instability or using the powerful snares of illusion magic. Chaos Storm is good to capture shrines and quarries. Good use of Wall and heights, as well as good timing of interrupts on targets hexed with Wastrel skills is the key to winning as a mesmer.
Water Magic eles can snare opponents and reduce their ability to sweep. Earth Magic and Fire Magic eles can do a decent job as bombers, mainly with skills such as Shockwave, Aftershock, Starburst or Double Dragon. Air Magic users are powerful spikers with skills such as Chain Lightning or Thunderclap. They can also take some shrines due to the armor penetration of skills which counters the high armor of rangers, and bring some support with Windborne Speed. Fire Magic usually prove to be a very efficient choice, due to their powerful AoE skills such as Fire Storm, Savannah Heat and burning from Mark of Rodgort or Searing Flames.
Aside from using Death Blossom and Moebius Strike, assassins have trouble dealing AoE damage and should therefore not be used for capturing (they are usually inferior to rangers and necros when bombing or using Barrage). Their main advantage is their ability to intercept players and spike them, shutting them down for example with skills such as Wastrel's Collapse or Temple Strike. A lot of assassins skills provide snares, knockdowns or cripple.
Spirit spammers will stand useless against AoE players like nukers, RoJers, Wastrel and Chaos Storm Mesmers which are common due to the capturing nature of the battle. They can however still protect the quarries and shrine from a distance with protective spirits, and bodyblock foes with their spirits. Powerful Item Spells such as Grasping Was Kuurong or Destructive was Glaive and the combo Destruction+Draw Spirit can be used for a bombing build, and minions summoned with skills such as Aura of the Lich benefit from spawning power's health bonus.
Paragons are very weak in this arena due to the scattering of the team, reducing the Leadership energy bonus. However, Barbed Spear+Maiming Spear and other Spear Mastery skills provide good snare and spike when intercepting players, and "Incoming!"/"Fall Back!"/"Make Haste!" can help the team and carriers greatly.
Dervishes, as most melee classes, have trouble in JQ. They can however prove to be great when intercepting foes using Wind Prayers as several skills, such as Harrier's Haste, Grenth's Grasp either deal additionnal damage to moving foes or cripple them. Earth Prayers Dervishes can capture shrine rather easily with skills such as Vow of Strength or Sand Shards. Intercepting carriers is possible, allbeit not so easy with a scythe.
- Blue Base
- 20 Green Carrier Juggernaut
- 20 Purple Carrier Juggernaut
- 20 Yellow Carrier Juggernaut
- Caravan Guard posts
- 20 Kurzick Far Shot x2 (eastern guard post)
- 20 Kurzick Far Shot x3 (central and northwestern guard posts)
- 20 Kurzick Far Shot x4 (southern guard post)
- Red Base
- 20 Green Hauler Turtle
- 20 Purple Hauler Turtle
- 20 Yellow Hauler Turtle
- Caravan Guard posts
- 20 Luxon Longbow x2 (southern guard post)
- 20 Luxon Longbow x3 (central and northwestern guard posts)
- 20 Luxon Longbow x4 (eastern guard post)
Players on the Kurzick team will see Kommandant Durheim's dialogue and players on the Luxon team will see Erek's dialogue.
After your team scores two points:
- Kommandant Durheim: "Well done! We have taken the first steps toward another glorious victory for the Kurzicks!"
- Erek: "The great Jade Sea is our home, and its bounty is our bounty. We will not let our enemies take what is ours!"
After your team scores four points:
- Kommandant Durheim: "The gods are on our side! Victory will be ours!"
- Erek: "As I expected, we are making excellent progress. The jade is plentiful and we are stronger than our enemies. By the frozen waves of the Jade Sea, our victory is assured!"
After your team scores six points:
- Kommandant Durheim: "Our storage vaults are heavy with jade! Surely this is a sign that we will defeat these barbarians! Push forward and put an end to this battle so that we might celebrate yet another great victory over the Luxons."
- Erek: "Excellent...our jade stores are more than half full. The spirits of our ancestors bless us with the strong winds of their favor at our backs. Come, Luxons! Let us drive these Kurzick invaders from our beloved sea!"
After your team scores eight points:
- Kommandant Durheim: "Victory is clearly in sight! Gather quickly, now! The heathens are nearly defeated!"
- Erek: "Victory is close at hand. Move with great purpose Luxons!"
- Many players use this arena to farm Balthazar faction, Zaishen ranks/Keys, or Kurzick and Luxon titles.
- If your team is able to score 12 points, you will receive over 4,500 Imperial faction.
- The lucrative rewards attract leechers and bots.
- There are two methods of reporting: the in-game report command and creating a support ticket. Because of the high ratio of bots to real people it is recommended you submit a screenshot of the suspected bots to support.
- You can play for either Kurzicks or Luxons, regardless of your guild's allegience.
- Cartographer candidates can uncover approximately 1% of the map of Cantha. (Although some players frown upon mapping during competition.)
- The carriers are the only attackable units in this area with their health equivalent to the base health at level 20 (480 health). All the guard post and quarry NPCs have 330 health.
- The Jade Quarry began awarding Imperial faction instead of Kurzick or Luxon faction after the June 2, 2011 update.